BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feel Free............

.…. to disregard anything I say about Association Football because I know nothing about it and have long dismissed it as a ……. I'd better say no more - but I enjoyed watching the Spain/Portugal game; I could see patterns etc and skills. I also liked the way Messi (I know- different match) was able to fire the ball like a bullet without apparently breaking stride.

But why the loud "music" before the start - and why up to an hour's chat before a ball is kicked?

Betting is such a big business these days and you hear of shady dealings, with cricket matches being fixed. Is it possible that all is not straight in the World Cup? I saw one player in the England game twice wrestled to the ground in front of the goal, on one occasion with an arm round his neck that would have meant an instant red card in a rugby match - without the referee even raising an eyebrow.

I've no idea how long the thing is going on for - enough is already enough.

Re: Feel Free............

A man after my own heart, Harry. I have hesitated to post anything derogatory about this whole week but it has definitely spoilt my afternoons watching TV. My son thinks it's wonderful and keeps me up to date with all the scores for each match which is shown. My problem is that when you have seen one match you have seen them all. 22 apparently fit men chasing a sphere around a piece of grass and a crowd numbering many thousands screaming and hollering their silly heads off at the antics performed, And what performances there are. Sometimes I think one is being shown a wrestling match. I do watch MOTD in the late evening because this is just about all I can suffer. In my mispelt youth in the forces I did get persuaded to take part in some games of soccer but that was in the days when the ball weighed about a ton, was made of leather with a great lump of string on one side, and if you headed that portion of the ball you risked concussion. Hockey was my forte. Nowadays, I would get out of breath playing ludo.

glad to hear that both Harry n'Larry are keeping up to date with events in Russia. Only another 3 weeks and then the domestic side will get going again shortly afterwards. This week it is Ascot with Henley and Wimbledon but also the Tour de France on the Summer sporting scene. Must dash to put my free bet with Bet 365 on !

Harry.You have just reminded me.As a fifteen year old underweight,I was happy to be chosen to play as a winger for one of the many Wasps teams.Early on during the game somebody lofted the ball high in my direction,and I foolishly caught it.Whilst I was sdtill thinking of how to dispose of it,I became engulfed in seemingly tons of opposing Metropolitan Police flesh,I suddenly became aware of bodily pain in areas I did'nt know existed,and I was left on all fours.Having reached the glorious refuge of the touchline,I swore that this first experience of Rugby Union would also be my last,I have kept my promise-apart from the odd visit to Twickenham.

I think I know exactly what you mean, Roy. My only fault as a rugby player was being useless at it (apart from being undersized and very slow). Things always happened far too soon for me.

I posted the following in reply to Roy (Boyles) then, as soon as I clicked on "post" I saw that another Roy had posted an item about real football.
Far too soon Roy. Bet365? I have to confess that I still owe William Hill two shillings which I had on tick as a student, thinking I could pay out of the fortune I was going to make. (Don't tell him; it's a secret.)

Watching the footie, I find it hard to decide who to stick up for; it would normally be the underdogs - I this case Croatia - but both sides seem to be better at acting than scoring goals, rolling over on the ground and thumping the grass with their fist, with their faces screwed up "in agony". Even Messi and Aguero failed to shine.

I suppose we have to forget about Ante Pavelic and the Ustase, who had a more fearsome reputation than the SS.

Like Roy, I, too, was persuaded to make up a team playing rugby for BETFOR Signals down at Zaule in about 1949/50. We were playing, I think I recall, a side from one of the Staffordshire regts. As a winger I got the ball and was haring off down the pitch when I was hit in the back by somebody and that was the end of my rugby union playing days. I finished up in the Mil Hosp in Trieste for three days. But BETFOR Signals did have at least one man who played rugby union, A Lt Uttley and he played - or had played - for the England team

Strange, but on checking the posting to make sure there were no spelling mistakes, I noticed that the date shown at the bottom right hand corner of the posting was 22 June 2018 - 8.45 p.m.
All my clocks are showing 9.45 - well now 9.51 pm.
Someone never altered their clocks in March!

No Larry, not strange; just the usual - idleness.

World Cup!!! I suppose it's meant to display footie at its best - in all the world. I watched Portugal play Iran and saw nastiness. pettiness, spite, dishonesty, and complete disorder.

Was that typical of the "game"??

You miss the fun part Harry of this competition.For me the enjoyment comes in watching the other teams involved behave when their opponents resort to the dirty tricksyou refer to.They then resort to the same malpractices they have suffered and when the referee steps in they crowd around him vainly trying to get him to reverse his decision.This is all great fun only spoilt by the thought that the team you support has to cope with this nonsense somehow.Would'nt it be great if one day one of the referees walked off leaving them to get on with it?

Roy, greater still if the referee gave them all a red card which he is perfectly entitled to do under the rules of the game.