BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
There's pensions and there's pensions.

We have in the past been reminded when we complained about pensions in the UK been told that the pensions for old age on the Continent were much higher than in the UK. Tonight, I had the occasion to phone one of my brothers-in-law, who lives near to Tarvisio to congratulate him on his wedding anniversary. During our conversation I happened to say that he must now be a rich pensioner. A hollow laugh came down the line. He lives, with his wife, in the Val Romana which is about 10 Km up the valley from Tarvisio, a very countryfied area but beautiful. He told me that, in fact, they are, both of them, in receipt of 920€ per month. His wife depends on his pension because as a married woman she is not entitled to a pension. This, apparently, has something to do with the fact that he is entitled to a pension from the company for which he worked most of his life. If you are entitled, in Italy, to a works pension, this is counted by the Government as your old=age pension and the Government contributes nothing extra. The area in which they live does not have any internet connection the same as we do in GB, and if you want it you have to pay the Italian Electrical company to lay in another line and then also pay to have access to the internet. They can have smart mobile phones but cannot use them to get the internet. If they lived down in Trieste they would have none of these problems. And yet they have SKY TV!

Re: There's pensions and there's pensions.

Larry, Larry, oh dear Larry , Please do not print letters like this in an 'open to the public' Forum! I can see our infamous Brexitteers seizing upon it with great glee and trying to get Teresa May & Co to try the same system in her UK!

I hope all is going well with you and yours Larry - remember Christmas is coming!!
Dave 796 +