BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TOUR OF BRITAIN CYCLE RACE

Is the race anywhere near you this week ? South Wales today and right through our village on Friday. Late breakfast as it passes the pub door ! How many readers have we got still ?

Re: TOUR OF BRITAIN CYCLE RACE

Your question is a good one, Roy; how many readers? I've just been working out that, if our youngest member was 18 in 1954, even he must be fairly mature by now - and some of us must be ancient. I can safely say that because I'm pretty historic. I've been asking myself how long the message board can go on for - and deciding not to decide anything. Sadly the TRUST "Guestbook" folded some time ago, although Frances made a valiant effort to revive it as a forum like this.

The Tour is an odd thing; both of the best riders in the Sky team have said they're not really trying - and the map of the "route" looks as if somebody has scattered some worms on a large page; there are huge gaps between the stages.

Some years ago the Tour came past the end of my garden; my wife took this photo (or these photos) of the peloton being led by an unlikely figure:

Some unkind folk said there was something fishy about the "photo".

the race was completed in London yesterday after a tour of Nottinghamshire on Saturday. The whole thing was won by a Frenchman, after a TDF win by a Welshman.

Looks like our readership figures are down into single numbers but while BETFOR is still going I think we need a presence on the net. How many of our members have an iphone ?

Next subject Harry. Picture of an apple orchard please.

It seems I have waited in vain for the peleton to hurtle through Aldwick village.It occurred to me that possibly they may have a maritime section but that won't wash eitherI will have to resign myself to another annual wait.

What's an iPhone? Could I recall to our readers that if they possess what is very mistakenly called a "MOBILE PHONE", that it is NOT a 'mobile phone' but a portable mobile radio transmitter/receiver? It transmits a radio signal that is picked up by a local radio transmitter/receiver mast and onwards transmitted to its intended recipient. The same thing happens in reverse order when someone calls your number. It seems that only this country, which is so backward in Information Technology, uses the words 'Mobile Phones'. A telephone, large or small, requires cables connected to the instrument through which it can transmit messages. I see hundreds of people walking around the place apparently suffering from 'earache' yet I have yet to see hundreds of yards of cable being pulled along by the people using these instruments. Please, could we not start calling them mobile radio transmitter/receivers. Although nowadays they are more like a mobile hand held computer than just a radio. And I was a radio operator/
telegraphist from 1941 until 1948 in the army.

Larry . A rose by any other name is just as sweet. ☎️☎️☎️☎️

From my Highland lair I have tried and failed to post. Here goes another go from my magical device. I'm told that Al phones work digitally to some extent. Here goes. thanks