Replies
Last Post
PHOTO: Remember ?
Remember Zampoli ?
Views: 13   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 18, 2019 7:50am
by Harry Dixon
Larry Southgate
It is with great heartache and sadness that I am writing this to inform you that Larry Southgate (my dad) passed away yesterday afternoon (13.2.2019) following a battle with pneumonia, which sadly he lost.
Views: 97   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 18, 2019 2:23pm
by Harry Dixon
Southampton group
Southampton group have a lunch booking at Gusto in Commercial Road Southampton from about 12 o’clock on Thursday 14th February, Valentine’s Day. We look forward to welcoming anyone who can join our lovely friendly group to reminisce all things Trieste!...
Views: 25   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 17, 2019 1:59pm
by Harry Dixon
Two items from "Il Piccolo" today
1.«Bella e facile da visitare»: Trieste finisce nell’olimpo delle città europee preferite da The Guardian 2. L'indotto della Barcolana a Trieste? Vale 71,5milioni di euro I'll leave them as they appear as headlines
Views: 54   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 12, 2019 6:29pm
by Harry Dixon
Rage, wrath, ire, annoyance, irritation....or indifference. Is it newsworthy?
There are journalists who ply their trade by affirming their determination to stand bravely up to the "trolls" who attack them on twitter or Instagram. I have to admit I can't follow their courageous example because I don't do social media. Twitter would be useful be...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 1:52pm
by Harry Dixon
Wee, Sleekit, Cowran, Tim'rous Beastie
I feed the birds and leave piles of logs, branches and leaves for the hedge-hogs but sometimes your patience gives out and then you feel "murderan" like Burns' bloke - and this time over a mouse. I have to admit, I've taken stern measures to stop the squirrels raidin...
Views: 40   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 27, 2019 10:55am
by Derek Lance
Illness of a very great friend
I have enjoyed the friendship of a gentleman in Trieste for many years. I believe some other members of the association also knew him. His name is : Sergio Praselj and he uses 'Servolo' and 'Saulnier' as e-mail addresses. Just before I was admitted myself to Ste...
Views: 113   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 25, 2019 1:03pm
by Harry Dixon
History........
This photo, from Il Piccoloo shows the queue to get into the Verdi to hear a series of lectures on history. On the day of the photograph the subject was the events of the year 1844. I published a timeline on the main website some time ago - but that didn't help....
Views: 59   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 18, 2019 2:36pm
by roy boyles
Misc..........
….…….fist, and most important, thank you Geoff for a most pleasant surprise this morning; - the Betfor journal dropped on the mat. Thank you Tom and Sarah too. It brought a timely reminder to pay subs to Roland. I needed a pleasant surprise; the...
Views: 58   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 11, 2019 3:18pm
by Paula
Strange............
Strange that only yesterday I said Il Piccolo reported a lot of road accidents and today they have an item about Ireland - still not a fascinating fact about Trieste I know - but still interesting. There's a picture of an Irish scene: and then a photo of th...
Views: 37   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2019 12:43pm
by Harry Dixon
TRIESTE . The Spectator visit.
A 2 page article in this weeks edition mentions the UK/US 'occupation' 45 to 54.
Views: 39   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2019 10:47am
by roy boyles
Evacuation of families
Hi I have just been back to Trieste for the first time in just over 60 years. I was born 1952 in Aldershot so can only have been around a year old when I was evacuated from Trieste with my mother. My Dad, S. Sgt. Green was in the RAMC. I am very hazy re the story an...
Views: 264   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 3, 2019 1:21am
by Michael Barnacoa...
Happy new year to everyone. Look forward to the posts of 2019.
Views: 27   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 31, 2018 10:48pm
by Paula
Dinner for one
almost time to view the New Year offering of this classic sketch. You can see it on You Tube. It has been around since the early 60's (especially in Germany.
Views: 39   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2018 11:32am
by roy boyles
The latest News from North Wales :
My apologies for the long break in transmission but with one thing happening after another I really don't remember where we were up to. But, to ease my conscience I thought as a "Christmas Treat" I'll send out the latest news, if I can still find my way around this m...
Views: 69   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 27, 2018 10:28am
by Derek Lance
CHRISTMAS GREETINGS 2018
Messages sent to 58 BETFOR contacts on my 2008 list at 1300hrs today. Just one 'failure to connect' (so far) and 8 early responses.
Views: 68   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 19, 2018 4:23pm
by Paula
The Pound in Your Pocket.......
If you're anywhere near as old as me, you'll remember devaluation and the assurance we had about "the pound in your pocket". It couldn't happen now; I mentioned the pub in Chester which has a notice on the door saying "Cash only"; it was my son who said it was design...
Views: 37   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 11, 2018 1:01pm
by Harry Dixon
Facebook for Seniors ...(by email from Roy Boyles)
Received from Roy Boyles today:
Views: 55   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 8, 2018 9:56am
by Derek Lance
Huawei (Say Wahway)
In the news today because it's Chinese and the Americans say that the Chinese are going to be able to spy on stuff on line. So some countries are banning the use of Huawei gear in sensitive installations. I don't want to worry you but I've posted this from my Huaw...
Views: 34   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 6, 2018 12:53pm
by Harry Dixon
Euphemisms... bathrooms.... shithouses... not for the delicately nurtured.
There are few topic which have produced more euphemisms than the natural process of emptying ones clog - to use a euphemisms from my childhood. Do you remember those holes in the ground that we met sometime when we used a public "loo" (euphemism" from the French)...
Views: 53   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 4, 2018 8:41am
by Roland
Recurrence
A few days ago our Bravenet fee "recurred" ie it was automatically swiped from my account. I did think of raising this question before the event but decided it was best left until there was no time element involved. The question is, "Has this "Message forum", as Brav...
Views: 195   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 3, 2018 1:53pm
by Harry Dixon
What Wond'rous Life Is This I Lead........!
But it feels as if the whole world is passing me by; there are so many things I'm baffled by. Why, for example, does the BBC insist on making trailers for programmes that seem designed to put you off watching? " "Maxfac I think it's called; keeping track of traf...
Views: 117   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 28, 2018 1:31pm
by Harry Dixon
Local bye-laws emanating this month from the local Coucill.
Two new "local bye-laws", just been issued by the local council. The "Vigili Urbani" (the local white capped police) are now to be allowed to carry arms when on duty. and secondly: No more than 30% of children of foreigners in the city will be allowed to enrol in...
Views: 47   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2018 8:32pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST
Les Walker formerly of York and of late The Royal Hospital Chelsea passed away last Thursday 22nd November 2018 after a long illness and with his loving daughter Christine at his side.
Views: 51   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 27, 2018 6:25pm
by Harry Dixon
Wild life.
This is a disconsolate squirrel; I've no idea what he's chewing on here but he's had several goes at my bird feeders which have sunflower seed hearts in them. The squirrel baffle does exactly that; I've seen him swarming up - and sliding down. more recently, he m...
Views: 125   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 21, 2018 2:37pm
by Harry Dixon
2018 Remembrance Day
I should be interested to hear how Remembrance Day was marked by any of our members or in their localities and also what are their thoughts/comments on these events.
Views: 64   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2018 2:02pm
by Harold Dixon
BETFOR
The question of a new topic. Can one of you come up with a way that BETFOR will be remembered by genneration to come ?. Remember that the sands of time are running out and we cannot keep putting it of until tomorrow.⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳'
Views: 173   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 11, 2018 12:43pm
by Paula
GIRO DI ITALIA 2019
The route is known. Begins in BOLOGNA and ends in the VERONA Arena. 3 weeks later. TS does not feature this time.
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 7, 2018 7:54am
by roy boyles
Swing That Lamp
Old times - well "only" six or so years ago, there were some interesting posts kicked off by a mention of Tyrone Power who appeared in a film about Trieste called "Diplomatic Courier". I don't intend to go over them all but, if you have a few minutes, type any...
Views: 77   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 31, 2018 2:39pm
by Harry Dixon
À la Recherche du Temps Perdus ..............Nostalgia
Like "Ulysses", Marcel Proust's novel (7 volumes) is well known for being unread but it was recently brought to mind when we were reminiscing about old times with a very old friend. It's half-term round here but where are all the kids? Not playing out; we did see thr...
Views: 83   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2018 2:43pm
by Harry Dixon
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10