British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
PHOTO: What the ..................Do You Make of Thhis?
I'm confused; the print mentions the centenary of the ending of WW1 but also mentions the occasion of Zone A of the FTT's being absorbed into Italy. What on earth could this shambles have to do with either?
Views: 91   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 10, 2018 9:21pm
by Liliana Pajola
2018 Remembrance Day
I should be interested to hear how Remembrance Day was marked by any of our members or in their localities and also what are their thoughts/comments on these events.
Views: 31   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2018 2:02pm
by Harold Dixon
Wild life.
This is a disconsolate squirrel; I've no idea what he's chewing on here but he's had several goes at my bird feeders which have sunflower seed hearts in them. The squirrel baffle does exactly that; I've seen him swarming up - and sliding down. more recently, he m...
Views: 56   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 12, 2018 11:06am
by Harold Dixon
BETFOR
The question of a new topic. Can one of you come up with a way that BETFOR will be remembered by genneration to come ?. Remember that the sands of time are running out and we cannot keep putting it of until tomorrow.⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳'
Views: 152   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 11, 2018 12:43pm
by Paula
Illness of a very great friend
I have enjoyed the friendship of a gentleman in Trieste for many years. I believe some other members of the association also knew him. His name is : Sergio Praselj and he uses 'Servolo' and 'Saulnier' as e-mail addresses. Just before I was admitted myself to Ste...
Views: 39   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 10, 2018 8:29pm
by Larry Southgate
GIRO DI ITALIA 2019
The route is known. Begins in BOLOGNA and ends in the VERONA Arena. 3 weeks later. TS does not feature this time.
Views: 17   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 7, 2018 7:54am
by roy boyles
Swing That Lamp
Old times - well "only" six or so years ago, there were some interesting posts kicked off by a mention of Tyrone Power who appeared in a film about Trieste called "Diplomatic Courier". I don't intend to go over them all but, if you have a few minutes, type any...
Views: 53   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 31, 2018 2:39pm
by Harry Dixon
À la Recherche du Temps Perdus ..............Nostalgia
Like "Ulysses", Marcel Proust's novel (7 volumes) is well known for being unread but it was recently brought to mind when we were reminiscing about old times with a very old friend. It's half-term round here but where are all the kids? Not playing out; we did see thr...
Views: 54   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2018 2:43pm
by Harry Dixon
Tablets
I see the Royal Naval Association have started a scheme for certain of it,s veterans to be provided with tablets putting them in touch with fellow members elsewhere.Don,t tell me we havent the funds.Crowdfunding is a possibility.Comments please.
Views: 34   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 20, 2018 12:36pm
by Roland
Southampton’s group lunch date
The Southampton group have a lunch booking at Gusto lounge Commercial Road on 1st November from about 11.30 onwards. We are a very friendly group with some second generation members and offer a warm welcome to all who may be in the area on that day. Our summer spec...
Views: 27   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 17, 2018 5:59pm
by GORDON BAXTER
Roll Call
Reference is made, on the Home page, to the Roll Call, listing members names, addresses etc. It seems to have disappeared, or been removed. Where is it please and why? Can it be restored please?
Views: 40   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2018 1:09pm
by Harry Dixon
Time....."Loyalry"...."conned"...... ?
Just a few moans from a grumpy old sod. Larry told how advertisements are not often (or ever) to be trusted. Well Christmas has been on us this year, it seems to me, earlier than ever; I saw a snowy model village being set up in the garden centre in mid-September....
Views: 83   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 13, 2018 8:55am
by Harry Dixon
More Tales From Wales - Chapter 20
Morning all - and a warm welcome to the ever continuing saga in this Tales from Wales – Chapter 20. My how time does fly when really enjoying oneself! Locally at least, the weather is as promised last night – bright but very cold. The temperature ou...
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2018 9:57am
by Dave 796 RAF
Re: Greetings & Yet More Tales from Wales - Chapter 19.
Good morning all and welcome to Chapter 19 of these meanderings. The month of June seems an appropriate date to start a fresh chapter; I really should have done it in May. Never mind, you won’t have to trawl through yards of old stuff to get to the latest wee...
Views: 355   Replies: 17
Last Post: Oct 6, 2018 11:03am
by Paula
A HUNDRED YEARS AGO.
just returned from Northern France where the family (10 of us) commemorated my father-in-law going into action with the 4th Batt Grenadier Guards NW of Cambrai on 27th September. They were not in the trenches but almost halfway through the Hundred Day Offensive which...
Views: 38   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 2, 2018 12:43pm
by roy boyles
Il Piccolo
Il Piccolo has changed a few things; I suppose they are feeling the pinch, like all our newspapers, of competing with the on-line world of "social media", tablets, and smart phones. My first concern was that they were setting up a pay-wall but there was a help line s...
Views: 41   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 2, 2018 11:08am
by Harry Dixon
There's pensions and there's pensions.
We have in the past been reminded when we complained about pensions in the UK been told that the pensions for old age on the Continent were much higher than in the UK. Tonight, I had the occasion to phone one of my brothers-in-law, who lives near to Tarvisio to con...
Views: 53   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 30, 2018 9:50am
by Dave 7796 RAF
Fred and the Dustbin
I often think of Fred- his distinctive style of writing, his unfailing good humour and,above all, the contribution he made to the survival of the association. I was reminded about this dustbin tale when a dustbin was mentioned in the course of a television programme...
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 27, 2018 1:14pm
by Harry Dixon
Patience
That's the title of my operetta but it's also, I should imagine, what Harry needs to make him keep finding new topics and photos for the sake of a rapidly decreasing number of readers - and even fewer contributors. (I call him "Harry" because we are in fact fairly cl...
Views: 51   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 19, 2018 4:45pm
by Paula
TOUR OF BRITAIN CYCLE RACE
Is the race anywhere near you this week ? South Wales today and right through our village on Friday. Late breakfast as it passes the pub door ! How many readers have we got still ?
Views: 133   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 17, 2018 12:16pm
by Harry Dixon
Are we being conned?
There is at present running on TV an advertisement recommending that people take out a life insurance policy. No questions asked about health etc, and it promises a lump sum when the person insured dies. It also mentions that you may pay in more than you will get...
Views: 108   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 1, 2018 1:21pm
by Harry Dixon
Southampton Summer Special
We are adding an extra get together in Southampton as 1st November seems a long way off. Wednesday 29th August about 12 midday at Gusto in Commercial Road, our normal venue. We are hoping to chat about Gordon’ s idea of a lasting memory of BETFOR possibly i...
Views: 29   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2018 11:41am
by Paula
BETFOR at the UNION JACK CLUB 16 August
made my first visit to the club right next to Waterloo Station for the quarterly meet hosted by Gerald Cockroft. (third Thursday in February, May, August & November) 6 members present and 7 ladies including Terry Crimp's widow Irene. An enjoyable occasion (with lunc...
Views: 34   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 17, 2018 6:16pm
by roy boyles
Tragedies and memories.
In August 1946 I was stationed in Pola. We were guarding the munitions dump at Vallelunga. At this time the Navy was going round the Adriatic sweeping up all the mines they could find to make it possible for ships once more to navigate. The mines they were coll...
Views: 48   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 15, 2018 9:30pm
by Larry Southgate
Up the wooden hill.........
I am assuming here that most of you live in a semi-detached - maybe some in a detached - house with a bathroom and toilet on the upper floor. So I have some questions. Take your time and consider very closely the following questions. When you go upstairs do you...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 3, 2018 8:59pm
by Larry Southgate
A BETFOR LEGACY
Gordon.I have read your article with great interest and have endeavored to do the same as you are suggesting.Firstly to the matter of the future I have given it a great amount of thought and it is all about finance the ever reducing income to pay for the Journal and...
Views: 84   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 28, 2018 9:33pm
by Larry Southgate
A Reminder.........
I like to do crosswords - cryptic ones. I find that usually they're easier than "Quick" ones which often ask for synonyms- and you either know them or you don't, whereas with cryptic ones you get a clue. But I don't like to be completely stumped, especially when I...
Views: 58   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 28, 2018 7:10am
by Harry Dixon
Laurel and Hardy Live on.........
As I grow older I sometimes get the impression that life has turned into a Laurel and Hardy sketch - and I not only make the clownish errors but get the pie in the face as well. Just today, I saw may wife arming herself with a "Cif" spray - which we sometimes us...
Views: 76   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 25, 2018 9:17pm
by Larry Southgate
George Graham Simpson, North staffs regiment 22435387
My Dad did his national service in Treiste in the early 1950's. He would never talk to us about his time there and yet when we cleared my parents' house we found a number of photographs of him at Lazzeretto and a beautiful collection of postcards. On the strength o...
Views: 73   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 22, 2018 9:36am
by Roland
Liverpool Comes to Trieste
Il Piccolo reports that a concert, with free admission, is to take place in Piazza Verdi. "Con TriesteLovesJazz i Beatles rivisitati dalla Green Orchestra TRIESTE. "Beatles Today", i Beatles rivisti con gli occhi di oggi. Stasera alle 21 in piazza Verdi con ingre...
Views: 80   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 22, 2018 9:24am
by Roland
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10