BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Twitchers With Lazy Fingers.

Am i the only one that has noticed that this Message Board is becoming a Twitchers paradise?.
There has been alot of watching,and not alot of posting.
Bearing in mind there are around one hundred Members,with access to this Board,it seems strange that you do not let your fingers do the talking?.
Come on you must have some memories you wish to share?.
I am at present copying older copies of the Journal,to my External Hard Drive,and there are some good stories,that i have come accross,most populer are the Members experiances of the Riots and Schmeltz,details of how these back dated Journals can be ordered,will be included in the next Journal26.
During a Gathering in Suffolk,i was reminded of a certain Invasion Flap,when the Suffolks were sent up to the Border,because some bright Hofficer had reported a mass gathering of Tito's Jugs. We made a Sanger around our Vickers MMG,using Boulders from the Farmers Wall.That evening as noise of something approaching at the trot was heard,and we were ordered to open fire,however,just in time, the call came that it was only one of them ruddy great Bulls with a Bell around its neck.Lucky Bull. In the morning the Owner of the Bull was furios that we had demolished his Wall,letting the Beast out.
The story of this episode is,Do Not Wear a Bell when Chargeing the Enemy,they might hear you?.

Re: Twitchers With Lazy Fingers.

Below is a message I posted on the TRUST Trooper website of the death of one of my fellow TRUST Troopers. Joe was a career soldier and a good one. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, much to my regret.

When I learned he was to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery I made it a point to attend and pay my respects to his family. I am happy I did for he was truly a great soldier. The following was taken from his obituary as it appeared in the Washington Post newspaper on Sunday,May 31, 2009. The full obituary can be accessed via the internet.

Some items of interest regarding his decorations.

The most highly regarded proficiency badge sought after by an infantryman is the Combat Infantry Badge, which is a proficency badge that can only be earned from combat service in a specific war; e.g. in his case WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Having three of them is very unusual, to say the least. The Silver Star award is made only for valorous actions while in combat. The Bronze Star with V device is also awarded only for valorous actions while in combat.

Gene

"REFERENCE THE DEATH OF JOSEPH F.CARFORA. April 3, 2009.

Today I attended the funeral at Arlington National Cemetery of a great American soldier, veteran of WW2, Korea and Vietnam. Holder of three combat infantry badges, WWII Victory Medal, Korea Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, five (you can count them) Bronze Stars, one with a V for valor and a Silver Star Medal for exceptional valorous action.

During his action in the European theater during WWII he was captured by the Germans and spent six months in a POW camp. Units he served in during his career which covered 28 years included 100th Infantry Division, TRUST, 2nd Infantry Division and the First (Air Mobil) Cavalry Division.

While in Trieste he served with Company L, 3rd Battalion. On his retirement from the Army Joseph held the rank of First Sergeant, US Army."

Fred Greenwood
Am i the only one that has noticed that this Message Board is becoming a Twitchers paradise?.
There has been alot of watching,and not alot of posting.
Bearing in mind there are around one hundred Members,with access to this Board,it seems strange that you do not let your fingers do the talking?.
Come on you must have some memories you wish to share?.
I am at present copying older copies of the Journal,to my External Hard Drive,and there are some good stories,that i have come accross,most populer are the Members experiances of the Riots and Schmeltz,details of how these back dated Journals can be ordered,will be included in the next Journal26.
During a Gathering in Suffolk,i was reminded of a certain Invasion Flap,when the Suffolks were sent up to the Border,because some bright Hofficer had reported a mass gathering of Tito's Jugs. We made a Sanger around our Vickers MMG,using Boulders from the Farmers Wall.That evening as noise of something approaching at the trot was heard,and we were ordered to open fire,however,just in time, the call came that it was only one of them ruddy great Bulls with a Bell around its neck.Lucky Bull. In the morning the Owner of the Bull was furios that we had demolished his Wall,letting the Beast out.
The story of this episode is,Do Not Wear a Bell when Chargeing the Enemy,they might hear you?.

I have been off air due too some prat digging my Telephone Cable up ,What's your excuse.If yew ole wasocks cant spel,i cun understand yer,even if yer tork Suffick.So cumon Boh,git yer didgets out yer backside,and pust sumthin,else the Lancashire Lad ull think yer forsuck him.

Fred, I meant to ask you before. What's a sanger? Bear in mind some of us weren't real soldiers so we don't know much beyond how to order coffee. My dictionary goes straight from sang to sangria. It can't be something in between.

Harry Dixon
Fred, I meant to ask you before. What's a sanger? Bear in mind some of us weren't real soldiers so we don't know much beyond how to order coffee. My dictionary goes straight from sang to sangria. It can't be something in between.

Harry, I spelt it wrong,it should be Sangar,i do know the definition,but do the Twitchers?.

Sangar is a small temporary fortified position with a breastwork originally of stone now built of sandbags and similar materials. ...

Fred will this do.

When in doubt go to Google. I looked for sangar on Goggle and found it. I find it is currently an expression from the war in Afghanistan originally from the Indian army.

Likewise the term Ashes got me until I went to Google for an answer, but I do not understand the points system. For exam;le "6,044 mostly scored by England." Are we talking about the total points scored during the series?

Gene

Derek,you are so right,these so called, not so real,Coffee swigging Hoffice Wallahs,that play at Soldiers,know nowt,just kidding Harry,you probably thought a Sanger,was a vintage Wine that made you sing?[:))].As for our Derby Supporter,the other so called,not so real Soldier.I wonder,has someone told him the Film has ended,and leave the Signorina alone?.
Is the AKC still Standing Roy?.
Also in Trieste one promenent Member, is on a mission too Rossetti,last heard singing,Iv;e Just Met a Girl named Maria.I remember her well?.
Hope no one visited Montebella Lill,too remonice?.Never wanted the pleasure myself. Happy Days[BigGrin]

Hi Fred. Just back from TS. Yes, the old AKC is still there and is still a cinema. The 2 statues on either side of the entrance are as prominent as ever.

I have said before that my only connection with Maria the NAAFI girl is that she used to make me marvellous omlettes on Wednesday evenings. I did have a girlfrined in TS, but her name was Adriana.

Our Hon.Secretary was at his best in TS. When we discussed our dress for the visit to Lazzareto we decided that as it was June and very hot, we should go in shirt sleeve order. He, of course, was completely flummoxed by this and had no clue as to whether or not he should wear a tie! In the end he appeared in "beach" order!

Gene, Roy wants the aggregate number of runs scored by both Australia and England in all five matches of the Ashes series.

It's basically a very simple game but enshrined in a mystique which is only there to disguise the fact that, for a lot of the time, not much is happening.

There are 11 men ( or women) on each side and each side has two innings. A run is scored when the ball goes, for any reason, sufficiently out of the reach of the fielders for the batsmen to run to the other end. Four runs are scored if the ball gets to the boundary and six if it gets there through the air. Batsmen can be out if they are bowled, caught or run out. When all 10 wickets are down the other side has a go.

Whichever side scores the more runs over the FIVE DAYS (Honest! I'm not joking!) wins. The most common result, however, is a draw!

A batsman who scores 50 in an innings has done very well. If he gets a century, he'll probably get his name on a board in the clubhouse. A good score in a first innings is around 400. 500 is exceptional and the side should win. The game gets most exciting when th.............zzzzzzz.

Thanks Harry I will await Gene's forecast after your masterly description of what the game is all about.
WITH OVER 130 LOOKERS THERE ARE NOW EXACTLY 7 ENTRIES. Are they all waiting until the last couple of days do you think ? Perhaps a free membership or BETFOR tie might encourage a little movement...........