BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JOURNAL 16. S C H M E L Z

Having just returned from the old stamping ground I thought that there might be some interest in perhaps a 1 or 2 nighter visit around the high places of Styria before winter arrives.
It will be too late by the time Journal 27 arrives but as emailers you get to know immediately.
I have not looked at how practical it might be, but some of you who slogged your way there (and back) might like to see it again.
As a coffee pot soldier,(together with the Lancashire Lad webmaster) I have never been, walking was not style !
Most of Journal 16 featured Schmelz and if this was before your time contact Fred Greenwood to obtain a copy. There will be something to pay for it !
You will however get his picture, as he was there.
PLEASE RESPOND UNDER THIS HEADING IF YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED

Re: JOURNAL 16. S C H M E L Z

Could be interested Roy,depends when and how much.
Gordon

Nice idea Roy, but Schmelz is very high in the mountains without easy access. The last time I went there (in 1978) it was an Austrian Military Site.

At least one of your lot made it up there. Apparently Geoffrey Jarman was with the Suffolks in 1954. He said that he had a fine time running around the hills popping off a few shots with a pistol!

I remember being posted to Judenberg for six weeks,ferrying suppplies from the rail station to the cable car for transportation up to Scmelz.
I remember this as a lovely little town, and I can assure you my stay there was a very enjoyable one.
Can anyone who was billited in Judenberg base camp remember the little Inn with a swimming pool nearby,and there was a young women who played the Zither. It was situated on the road out of town up to Smelz.
Happy Times.

Judenburg
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Judenburg

Tower in the town
Coat of arms Location

Administration
Country Austria
State Styria
District Judenburg
Mayor Grete Gruber (SPÖ)
Basic statistics
Area 13.22 km² (5.1 sq mi)
Elevation 737 m (2418 ft)
Population 9,619 (31 December 2005)
- Density 728 /km² (1,885 /sq mi)
Other information
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Licence plate JU
Postal code 8750
Area code 03572
Website www.judenburg.at
Coordinates: 47°10′21″N 14°39′37″E / 47.1725°N 14.66028°E / 47.1725; 14.66028

Judenburg is a town in the state of Styria in Austria. It is located on the western end of the Aichfeld at the banks of the River Mur.

[edit] History
The town was first mentioned in 1074.

The name of the town literally means "Castle of Jews", referring to the town's origin as a trading outpost for trade across the alps, in which Jews played an important role, being represented in the city's coat of arms.

In 1277 Judenburg received the right to collect tolls. It grew to an important commercial center during the 13th and 14th century.

For the beginning of the 20th century, the town was one of the centers of Austria's steel industry.

During World War II, a subcamp of Mauthausen concentration camp was located nearby.[1]

Today, only minor aspects of the former industry are left, but Judenburg is an industrial and trade centre.

Thank you Derek. Since the initial message which went to all the emailers yesterday I have worked out a 2 night arrangement 9 to 11 September, flying out of London(Stansted) to GRAZ (Austria's second largest city)with Ryanair. Will wait another 48 hours to see if there is any more interest from the emailers.

Does anybody remember the dog at the local bar . It looked a bit like a lamb and used to hop around on all four legs. The locals said it was because people used to feed it schnaps to drink. I remember bringing our Mack Recovery truck down from the upper levels of Schmelz with the air brakes virtually gasping for air. Only 4 wheeled drives were allowed past half way.