BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: December 7, 1941

Gene, Thanks for your piece about PEARL HARBOUR. I almost put something on the site on the 5th when I thought of it but I am glad it came from you.
Larry with his usual enthusiasm gave you some DUFF information about days and date descriptions regarding the UK.
More in the spirit of geeing the site along a little ( with perhaps one or two silent readers making a response) with the corrections.........

Come on Larry have another go before they all pile in !

Larry got me thinking also. I cannot begin to name all the days when we have someone or somebody or something being recognized, not necessarily a day off but at least a day of celebration. Days when we display the flag or display it at half-staff. Then there are the holidays that grow out of the War Between the States, AKA the Civil War, holidays based on famous birthdays, such as Martin Luther King, George Washington but then he lost his holiday because he was lumped in with Lincoln to make President's Day. In order for me to name them all I would have to sit down with a calendar and then I would have to mix in church holidays. When I was a boy we had Armistice Day, now Veterans Day. Now it goes on and on. Currently "they" are attempting to make 9/11 a national holiday. Will it ever end?
Gene

Roy, you are quite a liberty to correct any mistakes in my posting. But I have put down all that I could remember without looking at a calendar.
The floor is yours Roy.

Gene, just to jog your memory, here is a list of Holiday dates in the USA for 2013:

Jan 1,21. Feb 18, May 27, July 4, Sep 2, Oct 14, Nov 11, 28, Dec 25.

Just looked in a diary for 2013.

And having now checked on a calendar for 2013, here is a list of Holidays in the UK for that year:

1 Jan New Years Day in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.(Tuesday)
2 Jan New Years day holiday in Scotland!
29 March Good Friday
31 March Easter Sunday
1 April Easter Monday (It's also April Fool's day in the UK).
23 April St Georges day (but not a holiday)
6 May May Bank Holiday (it used to be 1 May called Labour Day)(Monday)
19 May Whit Sunday (Pentecost - but not a holiday)
27 May Spring Bank Holiday (Monday)
5 August Summer Bank Holiday in Scotland (Monday)
26 August Summer Bank Holiday in the rest of the UK. (Monday)
10 November Remembrance Day (because Remembrance Day is always on a Sunday)
25 December Christmas Day (Tuesday)
26 December St Stephen's Day (commonly called Boxing Day in the UK)
31 December New Year's Eve (not an official holiday) (Tuesday)

And that still makes just 8 public official holidays in the UK.
Mind you for me, Roy and you Gene, every day is Sunday and every Sunday nowadays is a Holiday. (and it can get boring!)
Larry

ok Larry. The calendar does it. I have always called the early May holiday, May Day rather than Labour day but each to his choice on that one.
The Great War began on 4th August not the 14th. Keep em coming, .........

Just to point out that Larry seems to have missed an important 'calendar date' on his list for 2013 namely MARCH 1st SAINT DAVID'S DAY (Patron Saint of Wales). Sadly that is not a holiday either, although we did celebrate it in school in my days of going to school. The St. David's Day Concert and also various competitions (academic ones such as art work, essays etc) - all very exciting. David was a Welsh lad, born and bred, and didn't have to make a name for himself by slaying dragons, rescuing damsels or charming snakes out of the land!! HNY all.

The assassination on 28 June 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand apparently lit the fuse to a war which engulfed the World. On 28 July, the conflict opened with the Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia, followed by the invasion of Belgium, Luxembourg and France by the Germans and the Russian attack on Germany. Britains treaty with Belgium to protect her from any invasion meant that Britain had to declare war which she did on 4 August. British troops were involved from 14 August So when can we say the 1st World War actually began as far as Britain was concerned?

Dave, I did not list the Saint's days for the UK, except for St George, because they were not shown in the calendar I consulted. Being a die-hard old Englishman I knew by rote the date for St George.

OK Larry! You are forgiven. - Dave.