BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greetings From RAF - Chapter 8:

This is just a quick one to bring my log up to date and fill you in on my latest adventures. After coming home from the hospital on Tuesday 11th I spent a nice pleasant day at home on the Wednesday when everything went well. Early hours of Thursday there was a hitch in the personal plumbing arrangements and by 7.30am I was phoning the ward I had just left on Tuesday in order to catch the early start ward round seeking advice. Yes, I then ended up back in the same ward by 10am. After two days of ‘observation’ I was released this morning and returned home with lots of advice on how to ‘contain’ these only to be expected glitches. A pity really that the experts don’t point out that there are some glitches to be expected, and how best to control them!
Still, here we are back again at the old homestead trying to settle back down, yet again, in the old routine, and feeling as if I haven’t had a real night’s sleep for a couple of weeks.Which, come to think about it is quite right, cos I haven’t !
Anyway, enough of the glooms as I have just had a hot shower etc and now am ready to tuck up in bed with my book and bottle of water – and with Sunday lunch to look forward to in the morning!! Goodnight to you all – and pleasant dreams.

Dave, I find you an interesting blogger, but sometime you do not speak English that we Americanos understand. For example, "there was a hitch in the personal plumbing arrangements," next there is the statement that "in order to catch the early start ward round seeking advice." Next it was the "how to contain these only to be expected glitches." Finally, "ready to tuck up in bed with my book and a bottle of water" come se dici (correct spelling?) what kind of water? Hot water bottle, drinking water, que cosa. (I have just exhausted my limited Italian.) How does Sunday lunch relate to your problems? Picky, Picky, I know but I'm trying to learn your form of English before I arrive in the spring. By the way, will you be attending the big reunion in March? I'm expecting to meet you there. If I can come six thousand miles I expect to see everyone present. no one AWOL. (Google It!)
Gene

Gene (and Dave), kindly allow me to step into the hall. Personal plumbing arrangements, Gene, are what yours truly also suffered from a few weeks back and for which nowadays I have started eating a banana and some dried apricots every day. But that's more to do with the 'personal sewage works' than the personal plumbing. Come Friday next I, too, will be attending our local superintendent of personal water works in order to have a 'flow test', on my personal plumbing.
All part of life's great tapestry.

Ask a silly question! If it is five p.m. in Springfield what time would it be in California in Palm Desert? Another three hours back?

Evening all – Some good (in part) news to post here tonight – the young lady from the Computer shop called at 10.30am to go over the computer with me and to work out what was missing or not operating properly. She is in the unfortunate position of having taken over my machine in the middle of the operation when the original chap was taken into hospital and then was in a car crash! We spent a couple of hours going over the various problems and she has cleared up a lot of them, has noted others for further investigation etc. A lot of information that I thought was gone for good is in there after all but needs sorting out properly after being transferred from my old hard drives to the new ones. Unfortunately my whole operating system (“Windows XP”) has lost contact with my set of Microsoft Office programmes; she is also arranging to re-install that too. It was quite interesting to watch her work and navigate her way around the various units. She will be returning on Thursday to get on with part 2. At the same time we were entertaining a couple of friends to lunch at home here, fortunately Sylvia is a very understanding wife and left me to the computer side of things while she did most of the preparations for lunch, and entertaining the guests until I was free to join in. The whole day went off very well.
Gene - My apologies for causing you problems with some of the sections of my postings – I assure you that it is not done with any malicious intent! It just so happens that my mind will wander off into these strange flights of prose at times when I am writing on auto-pilot, apologies dear sir! Still – to put you more in the picture I shall explain (I think). At the moment I have just had an operation to fit an artificial sphincter to my bladder, along with the associated bits and pieces that go along with it. As most of the work has been carried out via the scrotum things are rather ‘tender’ down there at the moment. I must admit that it makes my eyes water rather just thinking about it at the moment, but it is slowly recovering! The reference to the “early start ward round for advice” – the first ward rounds by the doctors and consultants at the Maelor Hospital take place from about 7.30am – so, I made sure to get in touch with the ward nurses station in time for them to pass my queries to them before they all got lost in the working day. It worked too, as one of the doctor’s arranged to book me a bed in the ward for that morning and I was back there and in bed by 10.30am. They attended to the problem and kept me in for observation and tests until the Saturday morning when I went back home. Since then things have settled down and are now going to plan. It’s a slow process as I have to wait 4 or 5 weeks for the inserts to settle in before they will activate the system. Until then I just have to keep on trotting backwards and forwards to pass water. It does help that I wear a leg-bag and sheath of course, but I shall be very glad indeed to get the thing over. Presently I have an appointment for 25th January to go back to the hospital for the activation procedure. Tucked up in bed with my book and water bottle? Part of my regime is to keep on drinking ‘plenty’ of water, so I have a water-bottle by the bed to swig from every now and then – and yes, that does mean I have to get up every now and then to relieve myself – vicious circle really! The reference to ‘Sunday lunch’ was rather careless phrasing I am afraid. What I meant was that there was always Sunday lunch to look forward to on Sunday after chapel making it a bright spot in any day– you know me, always ready for a good feed! I hope that you are not too disillusioned with the explanation Gene???
Larry – thanks for stepping in to help Gene understand some of the gobbled-gook that spills out on these pages at times, and I trust that your own problems in this same area are sorted OK.
That’s it folks – time to retire so have a good night and pleasant dreams.

PS: My apologies to any squeamish readers!

By golly, I think I got it! Thanks Larry and Dave your explanations cleared matters considerably. I must admit to a slight personal plumbing problem myself caused by a medicine named Lasix. Some of you must know of it. It is formulated to cause you to pass water freely. In my case I have swollen ankles and feet so I must wear support hose and take the Lasix to stimulate my kidneys to pass water. The support hose creates a positive pressure on my feet and ankles. When I move through the day carrying out my activities I never pass a chance to use the toilet because I never know when I'll be looking for one. I guess we are all water boys.

Greetings Larry, Dave and Gene - welcome to the European Chapter of the Water Carrier Clan!
Please always remember our motto - "Never a drop sold 'til you see their gold".

And I am due back in Hospital tomorrow for a Flow Rate and Bladder Scan.
Been suffering from a stinking cold all week and on the local TV Newcast today they advised that the hospital I have to go to has closed some of it's wards because of the winter noro-virus which has taken hold there. Is it safe to go? I've tried phoning the department I am supposed to attend but only got an answering machine (twice!!) and no reply.
What was that poem that ended.......'then your're a better man than I am Gunga Din!!' You juzst have to hope you do not get infected with the 'old man's disease!!!!!

Larry - I hope you managed to get in and out of dock without picking up a touch of the noro-virus? The one I was in was closing wards off due to that, I was glad to get away from there with no more than a very sore part of my anatomy - which has calmed down now than goodness! All these instructions "to telephone the ward prior to going in" etc invariably mean the phone lines are tied up all day - (either that or the ward staff are fully occupied on some more 'basic' duties and can't answer it!
Spent too much time to-night idling the time away on the Mayan thread - so am off to bed now. Night all.

Gene
Dads Army is on sale at Amazon in the UK

Maybe you might be able to buy it at Amazon USA
Regards
Derek

Evening all - It has been a rather busy day to-day with one thing and another, I didn’t even have time to get on the morning radio net to collect the gossip from around and about. We have been having rather heavy rain the last couple of days, and it shows out in the garden where the soil is getting waterlogged again, there is quite a pool in the lowest part of the garden this evening.
It is our Carol Service in chapel to-morrow so I have been getting the notices ready for that, I had some deliveries to make of cards and gifts to local friends, and in between times I have been carrying on working through the contents of the computer which I have back here with me now of course. Yesterday Helen, my technical guru, was here for a couple of hours again and she re-loaded a Microsoft Office suite for me which meant that I could get on with checking out the files that survived the collapse. They all seem to be in good order, much to my relief. My biggest loss really is my Thunderbird e-mail address book – it contains addresses and other details of contacts going back some thirteen years, that seems to have vanished down the river of no return. I shall just have to start afresh on a new edition but I doubt if I will reach another thirteen years!! Anyway, the state of play now is roughly I am back in business with e-mail services up and running properly, web facilities in place, and most of my personal data and files in order. I will have to re-load my set of Serif programmes, but I have the original discs for those to hand. My file of chapel notices going back to 2009 is there along with other documents and information too.

I will be going to chapel in the morning as it is the carol service, but I am afraid I shall have to take a soft cushion to sit on, if it had been an ordinary Sunday I would have given it a miss. I will have to keep my fingers crossed that my voice doesn’t suddenly turn falsetto or soprano in the middle of one of the carols! Can you imagine the heads turning to see who has just arrived at the back of the chapel! Give them al something to talk about though, wouldn’t it just!

Time to beat the retreat once again – check there are no cattle raiders creeping in from over the border, and then to bed and book. Goodnight all and pleasant dreams.

Good evening all – For those of you who may have been worrying that I might have been ejected from chapel due to my voice suddenly turning falsetto/soprano in the middle of a carol I thought I had better drop in here tonight and re-assure you all that the morning went well. I did take a cushion (a small one) which did add to the comfort, the heating was working well and I managed to keep going with my usual gravelly monotone through all seven of the traditional carols we sang. Having said that, I was glad to get back home again! Although there were only 13 of us in attendance, plus the minister, it was an enjoyable service, and our minister had gone out of his way to make it so. Quite a few of our regulars were either off sick or away visiting the younger members of their family, as is the case at this time of the year. A rather nice touch was a Manger made by one of our fairly regular visitors. He had noticed that we hadn’t got a proper stable style crib a couple of weeks ago when he paid one of his visits, we only had a set of figures laid out on the piano and he volunteered to make us one – it seems he makes them fairly regularly for one organisation or another. It was up last Sunday but I didn’t go then, but this week I went down to the front to examine it closely and found he had even fitted it out with hay-racks, storage baskets, a bucket, and various miniature tools hanging on the walls. It was finished with a pigmy lamp in the roof illuminating the scene.

It is Christmas Eve tomorrow and Richard, our son, is visiting us from Monday afternoon until Thursday, when he goes back to his own home in Rhyl. This means that Sylvia and I will be kept pretty much on our toes for that time as he is mentally handicapped, and he is fond of his food served on time too. I wonder who he might get that from?? The point of this is to say that I will take this chance of wishing you and yours out there all the very best for Christmas, and that the year 2013 deals with you all kindly. I have really enjoyed your company on here over the months and look forward to seeing/hearing much more from you in the coming year. May Blessings Abound !!

Good evening all – I hope you all had an enjoyable Christmas and the rotten weather, which most of the country seemed to have been issued with, didn’t dampen your enjoyment ? We have had a quiet Christmas with just the three of us here at home, and despite the rain Richard and Sylvia have been out for a walk twice each day so far – I am excused ‘marching’ and stay in and make sure there is a meal just about ready for the table by the time they come back! Richard goes back to his own home in Rhyl to-morrow evening so that will leave us two ‘oldies’ to settle down for a peaceful couple of days to ourselves, which we are both looking forward to! New Year is not a ‘party night’ here, apart from the odd friends popping in during the day to pass on Greetings and Gossip.

Time to trundle down the corridor to bed now –good night, and pleasant dreams.

Good Evening all – The last day of 2012 and a brand new, fridge fresh 2013 waiting just the other side of midnight! I see it was a few days ago since I last posted to this page, Wednesday in fact. Since then Richard went home on the Thursday and, due to a last minute change in the shift system at his house, he went back at 4pm instead of 6pm – the bonus was that Sylvia and I got to share his sausages between us as he was getting his dinner at his own place! Friday we were in chapel attending the funeral of one of our elderly chaps in the morning, and in the afternoon we had a visit from my sister, her daughter and young granddaughter for the afternoon. My sister lives down Norfolk way but is in Rhyl staying with her daughter for a few days. Gossip flew, reputations picked over and family history fetched out into the light of day! My great-niece is ‘doing’ a project on the WW2 evacuees in school and they are going off to Penrhyn Castle shortly for the day dressed as evacuees of the time, her mum had no idea of what they dressed in so it was a case of digging out old family photo’s of the kids, and digging out a history volume covering the period called “How We Lived Then” which actually had a couple of photographs of children being evacuated to ‘the country’. Living in Rhyl ourselves we didn’t get evacuated, although I shall never forget my mother’s horror when I came home from school and reported I had volunteered to be shipped off to Canada for the ‘duration’ !! No way was she going to sign any form of consent. I often wondered as time went by whether she ever had a feeling that she had missed a good chance for a little more peace and quiet than she actually had; if so she hid it well!

Saturday was a day for tidying up and sorting out the ‘guest room’ and generally taking stock of what was what. Sunday our chapel was closed as it had been decided at the last Church Council meeting that there would only be half a dozen of the congregation at home over the Christmas period so there was a combined service at the bigger church up at the top of town, which we didn’t attend. We took advantage of the break to invite one of our friends, who plays the organ in chapel, for lunch. I picked her up at 11am and then ran her back home about 5pm after another convivial afternoon of good food, and good gossip etc. So here we are at Monday again, a generally quiet day spent in usual household chores – dinner this evening was a ‘Nigel Slater’ style meal from the remains of yesterday’s dinner and consisted of cold roast ham, pan fried left over spuds chopped into small cubes and cooked with curry powder and coriander seeds, steamed peas and sweet corn followed by mince-pie and ice cream helped along by the wine from yesterday. It did make rather a tasty and light dish I must say. (But then, I would, wouldn’t I). We don’t celebrate the arrival of New Year, so its an early bath and bed for the pair of us – which just leaves me time to wish you all out there a happy New Year and may it deal kindly with you and yours. Good night and pleasant dreams.

It is now the New Year - and very appropriate time/place to start a fresh chapter in this mind shattering saga! So do follow me up to Chapter 9.