BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Travels with Gene

Gene, your preparations need to start in mid-February. 1 March would be cutting things a little too fine.
2. Aviano is not too bad a choice. We have in Trieste, a delightful honorary "female" member by name of Liliana Pajola who lives in the Viale XX Settembre, near to the street where Nora lived. I can also give you the address of a very good Bed and Breakfast small hotel which I usually stop at when in Trieste in the Via Battisti which is the next street to the Viale . Liliana would be very pleased to show you around the old town.
The B and B would probably cost you around 40 Euro per night nowadays or dependings. Used to be 35. I know the owner who is also the barman at the famous San Marco Caffe`/Bar, which is a couple of doors down from the B&B. San Marco is one of the oldest and best bars in town.
3. On Google type in TRENITALY. This is the Italian Train Timetable. Once on their website look for Aviano to Trieste, or, depending on which day of the week you would arrive in Aviano, find train times and fares for Aviano to Ronchi dei Leggionari. That's where the Trieste airport is.Thereis a British airline called RYANAIR which runs flights from there to London STANSTED and Birmingham. You could also look for trains from Aviano to Treviso from where RYANAIR runs flights to LIVERPOOL which again, is not that far from Southport or from Harry Dixon or me.
4. In Google, type in Ryanair and see from where in Germany (And Italy) they fly to and from. Come to think of it, they may even have flights to the USA. It's a cheap and almost? cheerful airline.
I will check on the possibility of car hire. But I have hired a car myself in the last three years. You could also Google HERZ and see if you can join their No.1 Club.
Don't worry too much. We'll get you here even if we have to hire a German U boat. Come to think of that. Do you have a port nearby where boats might sail from for Britain. Cargo liners quite often let you ride with them for a small fare but take a few days to get here.

Enuff for now. Cheers.Larry

Here is the second installment of my planned visit to “Merrie ole England” in March.

I have exhausted my efforts to line something up with the military and I find it will be cheaper and more convenient in the long run to just go ahead and go commercial so in that regard I have opened a dialog with a travel agent and have asked her to organize and set up my trip.

First the good news, I can get a direct flight from Dulles International Airport to Manchester, England on March 11, 2013, with a return trip leaving from Manchester and returning to Dulles which I have tentatively scheduled for April 12. Whoa now, before anyone gets upset, I tentatively plan to get some serious sightseeing in while I am in England without getting into any worries about returning home. Frankly I have the rest of my life ahead of me with no deadlines upcoming.

Secondly for the bad news, since I have no itinerary ahead, it will be difficult for me to make reservations for overnight stays along the way. Also, getting around in England will be difficult because everyone is telling me not to rent a car because of the strange (strange to me!) driving practices in England. (No offense please!) We drive differently here in the States. Regarding overnight stays, I tend to favor bed and breakfast lodgings over hotel and motels so the travel agent is pulling together a list of B&B’s in a few selected cities.

Next I must develop a list of items to carry along. I am of the opinion that a carry on bag will provide insufficient capacity so I am tentatively planning to use a carry on and one standard size suitcase. Since I have not done any travel recently I am not sure about all the restrictions and what not, regarding air travel these days. Any advice will be appreciated.

The last phase in my planning involves my financial arrangements. I plan to carry a couple of credit cards and a I’ll have to purchase a few pounds for tipping and any emergency expenditures such as taxicab fares and meal tips. Secondly, are checks drawn on USA banks acceptable by local banks in the event a credit card will not be accepted?

Finally, I have to make sure I have an ample supply of medications or the availability of resupply. I am not quite sure how to handle that problem. So I will just talk to my doctor and see what can be worked out.

This wraps up this session. Any advice will be welcome.

Now that's the kind of news I like to read. Almost, all done and dusted.
Lets deal with your medical requirements first. Since it's a couple of years (*&*) since you last flew, let me point out that the flight to the UK will take in the region of 7 hours. In the UK we hear a lot these days of older people taking on long distance flights getting afflicted with DVT. To the unitiated that is Deep Vein Thrombosis caused by sitting for long periods in aircraft without taking any exercise. UK citizens are advised to purchase for their long-distance flight special socks to wear during the flight. You say you are already afflicted by swollen legs so take a trip to your medic and get his advice. No doubt he will have read about this in his medical journals and can advise you on the subject. Buy a light pair of slip-on shoes you can change into while waiting to board your flight and as you will no doubt be flying 747, take the opportunities to take a walk up and down the aisles.
Depending on the amount of medication you have to take each day, do as I do and request your medic to provide you with the minimum amount you will required. Split it up into daily amounts in small boxes: if in doubt, make a list of what to take each day and at what time if you have to follow a timetable. I don't know if you have to pay for your medication/pills in the US as an O.A.P. but over here, if you run short you will certainly have to pay. Even over here, those of us who are not given free medicines such as O.A.Ps, have to pay a minimum of £7.80 per item on the prescription.
I,m glad to hear you prefer B&B establishments as the UK is very well provided with these in most every town BUT, BUT, some are better than others.
Once your travel agent has provided a list of B&Bs I would suggest you copy it to our web-site so our members can vet and advise on suitability.
I have been under the weather this week so have not been able to contact the hire car folks to find out their politics on hiring to the over 80s, especially Americans. I'll get a round tuit after Christmas.
Baggage. Depends on the airline how much you can place in the hold and how much you can carry on board. With British Airways the limit is about 20/22 kg in the hold and 7 kg in a bag on board but your travel agent should be able to clarify this. Obviously, NO guns, ammunition or explosive devices!!! I've travelled over a million airmiles always with one suitcase and one bag for stowing in the luggage racks on board, together most times with a small shoulder handbag to hold my papers, passport,cameras, etc. Jacket pockets, inside and out, trousers pockets also come in handy and as you won't be doing a lot of moving about during the times in the airports and on the planes, a little discomfort can help out a lot. After all, ladies always carry handbags so plead the Equality Act as I used to on times.
If there are going to be problems with hiring cars, don't worry too much. After we have introduced you to the members of the AGM and filled them in with your proposed itinerary, I expect the only problem you will have on your travels will be choosing a volunteer from the many to ferry you around!!
Credit cards and debit cards will serve a good purpose rather than checks but most banks in the UK would, I feel, accept a US backed check and issue cash. But check with the teller in your bank on the validity of your cards in the UK.
Given the time of your arrival in Manchester I will arrange for a very decent small B&B near to me for your first couple of nights. I will meet you at Manchester or, failing that because of unexpected illness, my son or daughter will meet you and, no doubt, in an emergency, Harry Dixon with whom you are in constant contact, would not doubt pop over on his bicycle and take you away on his pillion seat but tis a long time yet and the fine details will all have been arranged, put to bed, and everything will be tickety boo come the final reckoning.
To my mind your main problem will be the road usage both as a pedestrian and driver, and which night-club or lap-dancing club to attend when you get bored. You might actually believe you are still in the States. Looking forward to seeing you in March, hope these few?? comments will have been of help.
Night night, and have as nice a weekend and Christmas as is possible.
Oh, yes, bring your I Pad, I Pod, tablet, or whatever you use with you if you feel like it. And now that SKYPE is linked in with Microsoft Messenger, you could find it quite cheap to phone home once or twice if you use Microsoft. And as Sky is soon to start using Yahoo instead of Google you could set up an interim account with Sky.com.
Cheers, Larry

Here is another thought of mine about how I can use the time I will have after the reunion in Southport. What if I lined up a popular bus tour of famous landmarks in England, say a week or so after the reunion ends. That way I will be sure to see some of the more famous landmarks. I could have my travel agent line up tour options for me before I leave for the reunion. This is just a thought, first I would have to have a better handle on my activities immediately after the reunion. All suggestions welcome.

RAF Dave maybe I can visit your neighborhood and review your retreat formation. On what day do you stand retreat and do you have a military band for the ceremony? I am particular fond of martial music.

Gene

Just some random comments, Gene:
Money: It's wise to guard against contingencies, to take more than one credit card and carry them separately. Most credit cards attract two charges: - Visa charge of one and a half percent and a surcharge of two and three-quarter percent on all transactions. I have two which do not charge the 2 and 3/4%. It's likely there are similar ones available to you. The exchange rate you get with a credit card is better than that available at a high street exchange. We also have a bank account in Australia so, to avoid charges, we use Travel-Ex through Saga and transfer a sum into the account so that we can use their ATMs for cash. British Banks are now very wary of money laundering and identity checks are rigorous.

You may well enjoy a package tour. If you cannot hire a car it may be the best way to get around but my personal preference is for as much independence as possible as being the best way to savour the character of the places you go to and not just pass through them.

B&Bs: There are some excellent ones in some beautiful places. Can I heartily recommend Alistair Sawday's books and website? They are excellent.

One further thought about carrying money. When I was travelling as an Ecport Salesman it was for an Anglo-American company and they provided me with an American Express card. But I also have used the American Express Travellers Cheques. Never had any problems in the UK or the Continent of Europe. Do you know of Rob McCall of Trust? He travels very frequently in Europe and should you know of him, I would suggest you contact him for advice on what he does. He was over in Italy again this year. If you do not know him or of him, and would like to contact him, I could get in touch and see if he would be willing to advise you. But Travellers Cheques,issued by a company like American Express or Diners Club are very useful. Your travel agent should be able to advise you.

Next week I am going to finalize my plans with my travel agent so here is what I
hope to do. I want to leave here a couple of days before the reunion in Southport. Following the reunion I plan to spend the next couple of weeks traveling around sight seeing or I could make it for three weeks if something exciting comes up. I would like to have an itinerary in hand before I leave. Perhaps someone can offer a few ideas for me to mull over. For example, where should I go when I leave Southport, north, south or east. Please, offer what you think a tourist would who has never been to your country should see. I have some rather disjointed ideas but I would not like to charge hither and yon around your country. With a few ideas I can work up an itinerary with the help of my travel agent and find a few places to stay along the way. Please don't be afraid, I am not going to camp on anyone's doorstep, but I would like to see some of the prominent features around the country with an emphasis on history but I am not adverse to anything of significant importance.

One final point, since I will be almost 84 years old, I must consider using trains or buses and that poses a major problem in getting around. I think I am in pretty good health for my age but I can't always please rental agents. Please keep that in mind if you make any suggestions.

Gene

Morning Gene.If you are interested in visiting the National Arboretum in the Midlands I will only be to happy to drive you around for a few days. I have plenty of time on my hands that needs filling.Roland.

Happy New Year Gene. Roland's message of an hour ago was timely as I had been thinking about the latter part of your 'jaunt' round Britain
Both Roland and I live in the centre of the country, he in Tamworth, and I in Nottingham.
I would suggest that if you were in the Midlands for the last 2/3/4 days before getting to Manchester for the flight back, one of us could get you back there.
There is plenty of historical interest. STRATFORD ON AVON. KENILWORTH CASTLE. IRONBRIDGE CHATSWORTH BOSWORTH FIELD COVENTRY. ASHBY DE LA ZOUCH is the furthest point from the sea in the country a mere 90 miles or so, and it has a caatle too.
It will be the week after Easter and Springtimw too. No guarantees regarding the weather though.
Are you considering PARIS ?

Roland, Roy, Thanks for your response. Your offer is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have to fill in the days immediately following the reunion. I can always use your suggestions on how to close out my visit but I have a lot of days to fill before it is time to return home and no, I do not plan to visit Paris. I have been there and besides my interests are primarily in England. My ancestors came from the British Isles and I have studied English history, literature, government, and religion. I am not an expert but I am comfortable with those subjects. I would also like to visit some of your beautiful parks and gardens.

Happy New Year to all. I have had better holidays but I suppose I will get through the New Year period. I have just finished watching "My Fair Lady" and I had forgotten how beautiful it is. A couple of the songs really put me under the weather. I should have stayed away from it.

Right folks, let's dispense with the formalities of wishing each and everyone of us a Happy New Year, and get down to making the visit of Gene a memorable year. Always working on the assumption that Gene will be arriving in Manchester on 11 March I would propose the following start to his itinerary.
11 March : Larry to meet Gene at the airport and convey to a B&B where he will hopefully be booked in for 4 nights.
12 March : rest up after flight and to recover from jet-lag plus maybe a visit to a couple of old mansions nearby such as Downham Massey in the pm.
or to see where they filmed Last of the Summer Wine series.
13 March : Trip to Chester.
14 March : trip to North Wales, meet up with Dave RAF and maybe our Chairman John Darby and Harry Dixon and visit to LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGITHLLANDISYLLIOGGOGOGOCH on Anglesey Island and a quick lunch in Colwyn Castle Bay.
15 March : to Southport Ramada Hotel for AG meeting. Hotel already booked.
16 March : meeting with BETFOR Assn members.
17 March : Annual General Meeting. After Lunch, go to Liverpool to see the Cavern Club (Beatles) and the two Cathedrals. Then back to Cheadle Hulme for the night. Transport for all this by my car.
18 March : Handover Gene to maybe Royski or someone in Derby. Then they can arrange visits to Castle Howard, take him on a Trip to Jerusalem, maybe Warwick Castle and Robin Hood territory. From then onwards, twould be up to Royski and the others to carry on this itinerary.
Any objections to this or to vary the places to visit before AGM post them here so we can discuss.
Also, whoever takes over for the next phases of Gene's visit will have to book B&Bs or small friendly hotels and arrange transport. Some of this can be sorted out when we meet at Southport, but tis as well we plan ahead so lots of communication gents.
Also, if Gene wants to visit London and maybe also take a trip under the Channel to have a peek at Paris, he can also have an input here, so members can come up with their suggestions.
Larry

Larry

Larry I love It! I can make my stay in England as long as necessary to accommodate any and all stops that fit my desire and your invitations to see your country. If you guys can help me, I welcome your assistance. My trip will probably be the first trip of this type by a WW2 Veteran since WW2 trips began. We were all part of a close knit group of WW2 veterans in Trieste at the beginning of the Cold War.

I find it an honor to talk about our days in Trieste with you. In my country they give you a medal for your service in the Cold War. We definitely were in Italy at the beginning of the Cold War. Actually, the Free Territory of Trieste was an objective of a Communist attempt to grab chunks of Western Europe and aside from Berlin, Trieste was their second most important objective. I like to think that the British and Americans thwarted the ultimate objectives of Stalin. You can agree or not but Trieste is now a part of Italy and not a part of what is Slovenia or Croatia and it is due to our presence in the area.

So Long for now. Keep the good news coming.

gene

ARE YOU STILL A DRIVER ? Gene will be 'progressing around GB from 17 March to around mid April. I now have a pretty fair idea of the things he wants to see and although he will have a SENIOR RAIL CARD a selection of chauffeurs will be extremely helpful. Whichever part of the country is on your doorstep please let me know ASAP if you can assist. You are not expected to accommodate him.
I am suggesting a routing to him after Southport which will probably go (in order) LAKE DISTRICT SCOTLAND DURHAM YORK LINCOLN CAMBRIDGE LONDON AREA. SOUTHERN COUNTIES BATH STONEHENGE OXFORD STRATFORD and THE MIDLANDS before returning him to Manchester for the flight home.
Please email or phone 0115 9215735. Regards to all TC

Roy, I should scrub round the Lake District. Nothing to see there except a lot of water and some, what to him will be like 'molehills', cos there's plenty of real mountains where he lives. You, I believe, have contacts in the Travel industry. Do we have flights from say Manchester or Liverpool to Glasgow? (Don't forget his ancesters were Scots).Best way to get there. Then, if we have any members in Glasgow, a trip around the 'auld smokey', then Stirling, on to Edinburgh, from there drop down to Durham and onto York. A must is Castle Howard. But don't forget Easter is in the last weekend of March this year, presenting the usual hold-ups in road transport.

So, come on you 'silent majority', here's your chance to become alive and give us some suggestions and, dare I repeat Roy's entreaty, VOLUNTEERS to show a Yank this fair and pleasant land. After all, he was in Trieste when we were there so is, one could say, one of us, yet has never been to the UK.

Purely for information purposes only.
Trains from Stockport to Glasgow Central -- take from 3 and half hours to 4 hrs 20 minutes depending on time of travel. Prices for a single range from £26 to £64 standard class. Usual fare £31.

Flights Manchester/Glasgow by Flybe -- one way -- £72.00
Flights Manchester/Glasgow by BM -- one way -- £71.00
Flights Manchester/Glasgow by BA -- one way -- £75.00.
(These flights on 24 January to serve as examples).

Roland, I do not want you to go away. I would love to see the National Arboretum and I definitely would like to take you up on your offer to show me around but we will have to fit it into my schedule. It looks like Larry and Roy are cooking up a few treats for me as well. Is the National Arboretum where the Betfor commemorative tree is planted?

I repeat again I will be happy to assist any of you should you decide to visit the States. I have a three bedroom and two bath house with kitchen, dining room, living room and a recreation room. You would be welcome to stay here with me and I would make a pretty good guide around the Washington, DC area and over here I have a car that I can drive you around in to the more distant sites, but hurry up, most of us are in our eighties and time is about to pass us by. Also, I have a new range, dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine and dryer. I am all ready for you. You will have to furnish your own labor.

Evening Gene. Yes the National Arboretum is were the Betfor tree is planted.I am sure I can fit in to your program as I have no ties any more.Regards Roland.

I spent about ten minutes this morning typing an entry for my trip in March. Guess what, I brushed the space bar with my hand and lost everything so here goes again only this time in Word and then cut and paste.

I leave here on March 11 on United flight 100 from Dulles Airport bound for Manchester, England. Departure time 1900, flight 100. Arrival time in Manchester, England 0600, 12 March. Tickets have been purchased, reservations confirmed. Passport in hand.

Then for my return flight, I leave Manchester once again on United at 1140 AM on 12 April and arrive in Dulles at 1450 hours on the same day. United Flight 101.

Key things to remember:

Depart 11 March.
Return 12 April.
Airline: United

Reunion in Southport:

March 15 –March 17

Why the particular travel dates? I have non-stop flights from Dulles Airport.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.

Gene

Gene, I hate folks who make me get up early in the morning and your arrival at Manchester at 0600, means me getting up at at least 0500. I'm a slow riser these days. I take it that Dulles Airport is in or close to Washington DC? 1900 flight departure would be midnight UK time seeing as how East coast USA is five hours behind UK time. That's a real red-eye flight.
HOWEVER-- for your return flight. Gene, (and members who will be escorting you around England) you should be in or near to Manchester since UK airports request international flight passengers to start booking-in at least 2 (two) hours before flight take-off time. I would suggest to all and sundry that you arrange to return to Cheadle Hulme on 11 April for the night. Cheadle Hulme is only 15 minutes (on a good day) from Manchester Airport. Sure, there are hotels at the airport you could stay at but they are costly and it would be no problem for me to pick you up and take you to the airport from the B&B I will book for your stay on arrival and could no doubt, book you in for another one night at the end of your visit. Still, no problem if you would prefer to stay at one of the airport hotels on your last night. Some of us could join you for a goodbye dinner and drink there.
So now, folks, it just remains to work out an itinerary for Gene for after the AGM. Suggestions to me and Royski, Harry Dixon et al. But please, don't forget that the Easter holiday is on Friday 29 March through to Monday 1 April with all its concommitent hotel and traffic problems.

Larry, I regret that I will cause you any inconvience, but my schedule is based on the schedules of the airlines. They can be troublesome I admit, but looking at it from my position I do not mind a morning arrival. For me it is perfect. I have no problem sleeping on a commercial airliner. All it means to me is that I will arrive rested. My apologies to you for any inconvenience I have caused. For me it means my great adventure begins earlier than we anticipated.

Hello Gene

The arrangements for your UK trip seem to be getting well advanced but I wondered if you had considered visiting the sunny south and Sussex in paricular. If so, I would gladly take or accompany you to some of the places/venues that may be of interest to you in this part of our country. They include The Historic Naval Museum in Portsmouth, home of the "Mary Rose", Henry the V111ths recovered warship, HMS Victory, Nelsons flagship which is still a commissioned vessel in HM Navy and the fully restored HMS Warrior, the worlds first steam driven warship. Arundel Castle, home of the Duke of Norfolk is well worth a visit, as is the town of Rye (13th century)
on the border of Sussex and kent, just a small selection from what is available and dependent on your particular interests. I live in Saltdean which is 6 miles east of Brighton, which has a very good train service from
London (1 hour), also by National Express coaches from all over the UK. We are also about 27 miles from Gatwick airport,direct flights to/from USA.
I would of course be pleased to assist with any travel or accommodation if required. Regards, Terry.

Terry it sounds good to me. I would love to take in your maritime exhibits so we will just have to see what can be done. I appreciate your offer to show me around.
Gene

Hello Gene

I will now let you get on with rest of your tour organisation and if you find that you can fit us in to your itinery, just let me know and we can go from there.

Regards, Terry.

Terry, thanks for your suggestions. However, it is not Gene who is setting up an itinerary but we members of the Association. Both I and Roy have asked for people to send in their suggestions as to where Gene should be invited to visit so that WE members of the association can draw up an itinerary for him. Don't forget he has never been to the UK before and wants to see as much as possible in one month. He has no real idea of the distances involved in going from one place to another so anyone with suggestions should be aware that they will have to arrange accommodation and travel for him in the place they suggest. But so far suggestions have been thin on the ground. So if anyone of our 'silent majority' wants to put his/her head above the parapet and come up with some suggestions and offers of help I and I'm sure Roy, would appreciate it.

Hi Gene
(I believe in making a clean start).I am so pleased to be reading the above blogs re your coming visit. They have provided me with a source of endless entertainment. I can see you emerging into Manchester Airport to be met with a gang of geriatric ex soldiery all clamouring to whistle you around the high spots of Northern England. For God's sake ,don't express an interestin coal mining.I see Larry has gone to great lengths to provide you with a ready made itinerary.To do him justice, perhaps it would be advisable to bring with you a suitable log book, so that Larry can endorse each entry!When he passes you over to some other wiiling veteran, he can authorise them to counter-endorse
the entries!Finally, should you allow some maniac to suggest a visit to Bognor Regis, let me persuade you to restrict your sightseeing to a quick visit to the beach, followed by a hasty return to the train station,-just be careful you are not run into by a demented old chap on a mobility scooter. Bognor is full of them.

I agree with your comments why not let Gene have a say in what He wants to see on His visit If He decides He would like to visit the Midlands I have offered to chauffeur Him around for a few days my offer still stands. .

As usual, in England, all kinds of weevils come crawling out of the trees, and make snide remarks and comments, but offer no concrete help. I thought I had made it plain in my last posting that our friend Gene has never been to the UK and has no idea of what the country is like. He has expressed to me and others that he is interested in seeing historic sites and palaces. He is going to be in England from 12 March until 12 April, into and out of Manchester Airport. As for a bunch of geriatrics, if you Roy served in BETFOR, you must be knocking on the door of geriatricy, if not already passed through the portals.
All I asked for is some suggestions as to where we should take him on his travels. If all you can do is sneer and laugh, maybe you should organise the whole trip for him. Roland has offered to chauffer him around the Midlands. Gene does not know what the Midlands can offer. At least set out an itinerary, including names and places, so that we can work out a good programme to place before Gene and he can then take his pick of where he would like to go. Terry has come up with a good suggestion for a visit down south. However, Gene's visit starts off in the north-west including coming to the AGM. It is the time after the AGM that we need some ideas for. One thing to remember is that Gene is also a geriatric, Roy, and cannot just go off haring round like a blue-arsed fly. Or are you so devoid of ideas that all you can do is behave like a National Serviceman and sneer at the Sarnt Major?
I have no idea where Bognor Regis is, but if there is anywhere near there of historic interest, why not tell us. Also, Gene has no hotels booked apart from the few days from 12 March to the day after the end of the AGM. He has said he prefers small hotels and B&B locations, so these also have to be booked by the "volunteers" who want him to visit their suggested places.
The other thing is that Gene will neither have an O.A.P. bus pass nor a Senior Citizens Railcard which is valid in the UK.
I do hope that I have made things clear enough now so that people can understand what we are after. If people would like me to copy all this out in BLOCK CAPITALS, so that their geriatric eyes can read it, just let me know.

Larry, I am shutting down this thread. No need to continue it any longer. We all have a idea about my purpose was so now I can proceed by direct contact with everyone. Larry and I will be sending you emails when we need additional information. Anyone desiring to help can email Larry or me. As it stands now I will be attending the BETFOR reunion in March and I will be in touch with those of you who offered your assistance. I am grateful for any assistance offered. For example, what is an OAP bus pass and what is a Senior Citizens Railcard?

Gene, Good luck,i think you will need to go to Confused.Com,that is why i have not mentioned my part of England,steeped with Historical Interest.East Anglia.
As i read earlier,you had little help from the Military,so Mildenhall USAF base,was out of your intinery.
As you know i am under house arrest at present,with my illness,but i am getting stronger,by the Day,should you wish to travel to my part of England.I am sure the Suffolk Gang,would see you around.
Take care old friend,and good luck,on your visit.You can Email me ,if you need imformation.

Hi Larry
My date of birth, as I repeatedly have to tell the staff at my local hospital is 18/5.27.I mention this , not to encourage a large volume of birthday cards, but to signify that I too am a member of the geriatric brigade. However, had I realised that you were in such a sensitive place and suffering from an undeveloped sense of humour, I would not have been so cavalier with my choice of words. Lighten up Larry. Life is for laughing with others not at them.Because I can see the humour in the response to Gene's visit, does'nt mean that I am cynical about it. Anyway, I forgive you for your positive attitude, and I look forward to our next subject.

however your trip to England goes Gene I trust that you will have an interesting and happy visit and i,m sure there will be plenty of help at hand if needed wherever you go.