Clifton Hampden Longbow society

Clifton Hampden Longbow Society

Forum: Clifton Hampden Longbow society
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
CHLS: Etymology

In order to provide some of the newer members of CHLS with the etymology of certain phrases which they may hear during the course of a shoot I have taken it upon myself to compile the following, by no means exhaustive, list:

Nein!/Moustache Score/Good old Teutonic Score(sometimes accompanied by two fingers below the nose and goosestep) - A score of nine.

Seven!(as cried out by Len Goodman) - A score of seven.

A Princely Two - A score of two.

A Kingly One (sometimes followed by my saying of we'll make a King's archer out of you yet, Dobbs) - A score of one.

A Japanese aircraft/Six off a flush/Blank/F*** all - A score of zero.

Bury me where the arrow lands - Comment made when an arrow lands close to the base of a tree, usually by the Grassy Knoll. Historically attributed to a dying Robin Hood shooting from the bog window - at least according to Dobbs and Dave Allen.

Come on Stevens! - Ask Dobbs. Too obscure for me. Needless to say it involves African witchdoctors, Russian gangsters, V2 arrows, bleached bones in the Serengetti badlands, a cravat, self-flagellation and the man who got me into archery in the frst place.

Gertcha! - Battle cry/comment made by Derrick Bettis upon arrow release.

Grassy Knoll - Name given to the area by the trees for the 120' flag at the European School, alluding to the JFK assassination.

Melling Road - Name given to the access road at the Clifton Lock site.

More to follow - including Spock, Raoul Moat, The Rev...

Re: CHLS: Etymology

Very useful information for the uninformed. ( Small correction, "bury me where the arrow falls", not lands ) Definitely attributed to R.hood when he shot his last arrow through the window of his tower toilet while sitting on the bog.
Handy references when read in conjunction with the twenty four volumes of the CHLS excuses book!

I resemble that remark - best wishes to all (I only ever said it once !)

In the realms of CHLS legend never the less Tim!

Might I add "The tape of absolution, compensation and eternal forgiveness"! (The red scoring tape, in view of the fact that it is 1/2" longer than all the other scoring tapes!)
"Underpants flag". The tattered rag of a flag once part of the course, but finally relegated to the dustbin in 2013. Also known as the Battenburg flag due to its two colours.
"Tree fear". An irrational fear induced by the close proximity of trees behind the flag being shot to. Similar to "goal post fear", but tree fear induces a fear of arrow loss while goalpost fear induces fear of breakage.

Of course, not forgetting "Underwood`s dip" Mainly on the Wednesday shoot. A dip in the ground between flags, (perceived or actual) which results in a poor score.

"Peripheral shooting" Where all six arrows are just outside the twelve foot scoring circle around the flag. Often regarded as requiring exceptional skill, much more so than being close to the flag.

"Six point flush." All arrows in, but only scoring one point per arrow.

"That will come down with ice on it". An arrow shot at well over 45 degrees and going exceptionally high.

"I`m used to big bows, not toys" Uttered by a large blustery bloke whom Ed christened Raol Moat, who came as a guest, and succeeded in scoring five points with one of the toys on the whole shoot before departing forlornly without a word, never to return.

In addition:

'The Rev' - name adopted by an arrow-maker of dubious theological persuasion.

The Arrow in the Thatch Incident - tells of a time when Martin D'arcy, at Dobbs' instruction, threw an arrow into the thatched roof of The Plough, much to the the displeasure of the then landlay, Olwyn Stilwell. The event occurred in the summer of either 2008 or 2009.

Spock - Vulcan science officer aboard the SS Enterprise who beamed down in order to join our Robert Wallis presentation. See Rogues Gallery 2008. He's stood front row, far right.

Twenty-three (23) - The maximum scored on a single flag (not Wednesdays). First achieved by Jake Nash. Also reached by Richard Fordham, Martin D'arcy and twice by Ed Glasby.

Now then, now then/How's about that then? Guys an' gals?/Bizarre yoddeling - God knows what that's about. Ask Dobbbs.

More to follow...as and when...

In addition:
To do with scoring.

"It`s out!" (Bad etiquette)
" sorry Sir/Madam, your arrow is unfortunately not in!" Correct.
"Speak up scorer, you are speaking at a decibel level lower than can be detected by the human ear." ( especially when 500 Harley Davidsons are going by on Sunday mornings!)

Popular scorer replies to the question "is that arrow in?"

" What do you think?"
"Sorry Iain, it`s 1/4" out!"
" Don`t know, the scoring tape won`t reach fifty yards!"
" It`s the red tape,(That of forgiveness and absolution), so leave it there, it might be".(Even if it obviously is not!)Good etiquette.
" No!" ( Bad etiquette and lack of imagination. Better some light hearted barracking).
"I`m surprised you asked that question!"
" What do you think this is, an elastic tape?"
"You`re hoping are`nt you??"

Vague reference: Uttered occasionally by Ed, between flags in very posh,feminine whining voice:
"Oh Bektesh! Why do you have to make Oliver drink so much beer-----etc:?"
(Absolutely nothing to do with CHLS, but excellent imitation of the voice of an old friend`s Mother to former Plough Inn landlord, upon finding Oliver on the bathroom floor again.)

Additional utterings, chants and popular club member exclamations.

"Cwmbai! Cwmbai!" Possibly Welsh in origin, the call of the shepherd to his dog. Also the call of Mark (4 Cortina)Powell, in encouragement to the accurate flight of his arrows!

In addition:

The o' People; namely Derrick o' Bridge, Todd o' Sutton and Mick o' Forge: Names given to certain luminaries by Toddy (John Todd) way back in the good old days.

'Triple Bow': Name given to Dobbs by the aforementioned Toddy, signifying that Dobbs possessed a large number (at least three!) bows.

Toilet Duck: Drink of kings and last resort...quaffed by the CHLS chairman and captain after many a committee meeting. Far better than Harpic or Xtra Strength Mr Muscle. Guaranteed to turn the white of your eye yellow.

Mystery 1920's (?) Man: Enigmatic character of a bygone time, sporting Hitleresque moustache, bow and feather duster. There should be a reward for anyone who can establish his identity. His photograph can be found in the 2013 Rogues Gallery. Club patron?

Dew Drop: Boogers which hung from Derrick Bettis' nose. Ideal for firming up the fletching on a cold winter's day shoot.

Fag-cutter: Also attributed to Derrick. Arrow release resulting in bowstring severing a drooping, half-smoked fag.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com