​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

For anything relating to the 44ft Lifeboats

I have my very own 44ft MLB engineer EN3/MKCS William Collette Ret.
who has very kindly agreed to help you with your engineering questions.

General
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Time in the Guard

I lost the toss to my best friend and rooommate, SN Steve Knapp, to be part of the 4-man crew that brought the "brand new" 443niner-two from Seattle to Juneau (Auke Bay) back in 1969. BM1 Steve Maxner led the crew. I did, however, serve on the '392 for a short time in 1970. Waters around Admiralty Island and along Lynn Canal were esp. treacherous in winter months. The most exciting SAR call I went on was to search Admiralty Island for an overdue hunter. The weather had turned nasty and his wife was concerned since he had not come home when scheduled. We found him passed out in a cabin on the back of the island! Those were the days, my friend! I just read today that the '392 ran aground and was seriously damaged during a rescue mission in the winter of '75. I do not know if it was repaired and returned to service or if it was scrapped at that point. Does anyone know what became of it?

Re: Time in the Guard

The 44392 was only one of two 44's to be scraped.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I lost the toss to my best friend and rooommate, SN Steve Knapp, to be part of the 4-man crew that brought the "brand new" 443niner-two from Seattle to Juneau (Auke Bay) back in 1969. BM1 Steve Maxner led the crew. I did, however, serve on the '392 for a short time in 1970. Waters around Admiralty Island and along Lynn Canal were esp. treacherous in winter months. The most exciting SAR call I went on was to search Admiralty Island for an overdue hunter. The weather had turned nasty and his wife was concerned since he had not come home when scheduled. We found him passed out in a cabin on the back of the island! Those were the days, my friend! I just read today that the '392 ran aground and was seriously damaged during a rescue mission in the winter of '75. I do not know if it was repaired and returned to service or if it was scrapped at that point. Does anyone know what became of it?