​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

For anything relating to the 44ft Lifeboats

I have my very own 44ft MLB engineer EN3/MKCS William Collette Ret.
who has very kindly agreed to help you with your engineering questions.

General
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U.S.C.G. Lifeboat Crew Pictures and Info

Hi there, I am looking for pictures of the crew of motor lifeboat crews during the time they wore wetsuits, etc. I am really interested in finding out what kind of gear was worn by the crews during the 80's and 90's before wide spread use of Mustang and dry suits came about. Also, what kind of surf belts, helmets, and survival vests (pyro vests) were used during this time. Thanks!

John

Re: U.S.C.G. Lifeboat Crew Pictures and Info

John,
I was stationed at the Hatteras Inlet station in North Caroline in 1970 and 1971. I know you asked about wet suits and helmets in the 80's and 90's. During the time I ran the CG44319 we had very thick, poor fitting wet suits. In the winter time they were very hot and when you began to sweat, you would just freeze. So as a result we didn't wear them much, not a great idea. We didn't know that helmets existed at that time. I ran the 319 and it was a great boat and I had complete confidence in it every time we went out in rough weather. I did lay it on its side several times but never rolled it....thank goodness!!! Just a little tid bit from the early 70's.
Mike Ball
Former BM2

John,
I was in the uscg during the time frame you mentioned. Was coxn on 44's most of my career.
The belts were nylon web with losey steel clips to "clip in" to the D-rings and a "T" style clip to connect around the waist. In the late eighties these were canged to a nylon mesh with padding to protect the back and sides "for comfort". It had a dual button latch and buckle and a button down "protector" to prevent accidental release. The clips to clip in were like a carabiner and later changed to a dual lock type carabiner clip. A picture of what the new version was is found in a "Live Saving Systems Corporation" Catalog. The coxswain also had a seat belt on the coxn chair. It wasn't usually used because if the chair broke off you were attached to a big weight. Before most of the safety stand downs the belts usually stayed attached to the fencing behind the coxn to be used if we needed them. As if we would yell time out and we would don the belts before a roll over. LOL
The wet suit was either a shorty type (short sleeves and shore legs) or the long type. To fit better (LOL) there was zippers on the full length of the sleeves and the legs. Like stated earlier, back east (Maine) and down in Texas not many people wore the wet suits....they were "wet" and the wind blew through them making them colder then regular clothes, thermals and jackets.
The helmets use to be motor cycle helmets both open face and close faced with out the face shields. All items were international orange. The new style went to the kyak style also seen in the catalog.
Any questions please e-mail me.
Remember to keep the red side down!
Dan

Hi John - When assigned to Pt. Reyes LBS in 1964 I quickly decided to employ some of my body surfing "tools of the sport" by utilizing my own full body wet suit on boat calls. It was a pretty obvious thing to do as time spent in the seamans hole was cold and wet. Whether I was the first to use a wetsuit I don't know, but it was years ahead of anything the Guard approved for boat call use. I can provide you a dated picture if you're interested. The pic features me as boat seaman/swimmer with coxswain EN2 "Ozzie" Ostrand just having returned from a boat call on a 36 MLB.

Glen F. Pritchett
YN2DG 1964-68