​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

For anything relating to the 44ft Lifeboats

I have my very own 44ft MLB engineer EN3/MKCS William Collette Ret.
who has very kindly agreed to help you with your engineering questions.

General
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
info on 30 ft. MLB

Does antone have any info on the 30 ft SRB (surf rescue boat)?

Re: info on 30 ft. MLB

prior to getting a surplus 44. i checked into getting a 30 mlb. the uscg would only let us have one if we used it for display.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Re: Re: info on 30 ft. MLB

Hi,

Why wouldn't they let you have one only if you used it for display? Do you know any technical data?

Replying to:

prior to getting a surplus 44. i checked into getting a 30 mlb. the uscg would only let us have one if we used it for display.

Replying to:

I have a copy of the 30'LB Operater's Manual. Does this help? I also have copies of photos.

Replying to:

There are two main reasons that the Coast Guard won't let you have a 30' MLB:

1. The fiberglass layup used, in addition to the gelcoat, is inferior. Over the course of a few months, the hull absorbs enough water to cause the boat's waterline to sink 2". That's not bilge water, that's water absorbed within the fiberglass laminate. Every couple of months, they have to be hauled out and "dried" by placing them in an enclosed warehouse with numerous heaters running.

2. The boats are essentially overpowered for the hull when using a single screw. They have a tendency to suddenly go from traveling at cruising speed (25 kts + or -) in a straight line to hard over without any rudder input. This is caused by the torque produced by the propeller overpowering the boat's natural tendency to travel in a straight and level mode.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: info on 30 ft. MLB

The reason they wont let you have one except for display is it can kill you if you dont know how to drive one they have a flaw in the way there were built

Replying to:

Hi,

Why wouldn't they let you have one only if you used it for display? Do you know any technical data?

Replying to:

Replying to:

The condition discussed above is referred to by the Coast Guard as "dynamic instability". It is an annoying little problem where, at cruising speed(24kt-26kt)usually in a calm sea, the 30' SRB would suddenly heel violently to port while turning even more violently to starboard. The result was usually a flooded coxswain flat, possibly an ejected crew member, and alot of "I told you so's". At USCG Sta Humboldt Bay, where I qualified aboard the SRB, we were required to induce this condition of dynamic instability as part of the qualification process.

The boat was a piece of trash anyway. Good for a joy-ride maybe but it didn't tow for ****. Perhaps a quick response/personnel recovery platform, but other than that...a museum piece. Some Captain/Admiral should get his ASS KICKED for acquiring these sad excuses for a competant assistance vessel. Typical Coast Guard bull****!!

Has anyone seen the little 21' Whalers they now have for Port Security? What a joke.

Stay drunk you mutha ****aaaaaaaas!