​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

For anything relating to the 44ft Lifeboats

I have my very own 44ft MLB engineer EN3/MKCS William Collette Ret.
who has very kindly agreed to help you with your engineering questions.

General
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Re: 52 footer pictures and info?

I was never in the COast Guard, I saw triumph 2 in the haul out facility at cape d last summer when she got her second engine put in. My favorite station is cape d.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi,

how did yoyu like triumph 2, the one rebuilt with a steel hull? Did you ride her after she goot a second engine in her last summer? As far as layout gos, what different compartments were ther, how many survivors could it hold? Do you know why they named the 52's but not 44's or 47's? Is it because there are only 4? which stationwas your favorite?

Replying to:

I have spent many hours, days operating the 52 footers. One of the best if not the best life boats ever built. They had their specific purpose and that was to go across any bar, any time in all weather conditions. They had a 1200 mile cruising range and were used on calls up to 150 miles off shore. There were only 4 built beginning around 1960 and were all assigned to the West coast at stations in Washington and Oregon with the 1st, the Victory assigned to Yaquina Bay, others at Cape Disappointment, Grays Harbor and Coos Bay. I have had the privilege of operating all four at one time other the other but mostly the Victory and Triumph 11. If I remember right they were basically a US Coast Guard designed boat and all 4 were made at the Coast Guard Yard at Curtis Bay. MD. As far as pictures of the inside goes, I do not recall anyone taking any. Mostly of outside and in surf. I do know the layout inside very well.I have a couple pictures of the Triumph in the surf that I am willing to send to who ever requests them. Also of the old 52 footer the Triumph that went down in the early 60's.

All 4 still in commission and I did understand that the Victory when retired was to go to the Smithsonian. Quite a history on this great life boat and someone should write it up.

Gary J. Hudson BMC USCG retired

Replying to:

Does anyone have pictures of where things were placed inside the 52's? Also, who made and desinged the 52?

Re: Re: Re: Re: 52 footer pictures and info?

I was the MK on the Victory (52312), the 44300 and the 44400 at Yaquina Bay from about '78-'81.

To answer the original question, I believe the Detroit Diesels were the best in either boat. The scuttlebutt (i.e., I have no idea if this was true or not) going around when I was in the CG was that the CG bought many boats with Cummins engines at a time when Cummins was struggling and the government gave them the contract to keep them afloat.

Problem was (according to the rumor) was that the quality was low, and most if not all of the engines were eventually replaced with GMs. DD 6V-53s in the 44s and 6-71s in the 52s. Most engineers preferred the 6-71s for their durability, versality (you could install the blowers on either side, and the trans or the PTO on either end - they were completely swappable that way) and ease of maintenance.

The coxswains tended to like the 6V-53s (as I recall) because they accelerated faster and and had a higher RPM ceiling - but of course, the 52 weighing much more it would not have done well with the smaller 6Vs - completely different boats.

My recollection was that there were 6 52s total, but I could be wrong.