CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Author
Comment
Re: Bar/club activity in Cardiff

The former Life and Liquid sites in St Mary Street were granted planning permission to become new clubs according to this newspaper article:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2011/11/18/arts-venue-to-replace-city-centre-nightclub-91466-29802382/

Indeed, this is the plan for the site we have heard about for a littlw while now:

"Plans were approved today for the 1,500-capacity venue – to be called The Event – to open in the former Life club at the lower end of St Mary Street.

Featuring tiered seating and a state-of-the-art lighting system, the interior will be designed by Cardiff Theatrical Services – part of the Welsh National Opera (WNO) – and take inspiration from the city’s old Capitol Theatre.

The neighbouring Liquid nightclub site, which has also remained empty since closing 20 months ago, will reopen as a 700-capacity club known as Wonderland."

They need to apply again to get late opening hours.

I remember the same person wanted to also re-open the Square building as 'the green room' I think it was. Maybe that will follow.

And finally the penny drops.

Licensing officer Sergeant Scott Lloyd, who objected on the grounds of prevention of crime and disorder, conceded it was unlikely the building could be used for anything other than licensed premises.

The Event sounds a particularly exciting idea. Arts tourism has been growing rapidly in Cardiff since the opening of the WMC. To have what's essentialy the first commercial theatre to open in Cardiff in a hundred years is fantastic.

Yes, that does make it sound good. But it will still be interesting to see exactly what goes on there, and whether it might be a nightclub in disguise. Why would a theatre want a 4am closing time? Lets hope it proves a positive addition.

Me
Why would a theatre want a 4am closing time? Lets hope it proves a positive addition.

Cabaret, burlesque and film, I suspect. Companies always go for the maximum on opening times and then negotiate down. I suspect it will get 2.00 am which would allow for late night cabaret and midnight horror film shows.

Going to the theatre on a Saturday evening only to find yourself surrounded by wasted people heading to or from Walkabout. Nice.

Maybe I have misunderstood but I thought the Event would also host bands/music. Is there much of a midweek market for non traditional theatre in Cardiff?

I would also think that some part of it would be set aside to host a club night and/or cafe bar for after performances. I could be wrong about that. Maybe those attending the Event get free entry into the club (called Wonderland if I recall?)

Karl
Maybe I have misunderstood but I thought the Event would also host bands/music. Is there much of a midweek market for non traditional theatre in Cardiff?

I would have though music an stand-up would very much be part of the mix. It sounds like an up-dated version of the old 'variety theatre'- which was what the New Theatre was until the 1960's.

I meant Theatre to mean a tired seating auditorium for life shows - not a pure drama venue.

Looks like Polynesia is closed, solicitors notice in the door today stating the only the landlord is allowed access to the building.

Also noticed the Bertram on Broadway has closed down. Surely this is one of the most run down streets in Western Europe?

victor clam
Also noticed the Bertram on Broadway has closed down. Surely this is one of the most run down streets in Western Europe?

The current state of Broadway isn't anything when compared to the Northern cities; Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds all have areas that will make your eyes bleed.

Spanish and Portuguese cities aren't exactly Singapore either.

victor clam

Have you been to the valleys recently? The High Streets in some of the smaller towns are heart-breaking.

Something called Bar 50 has opened in St Mary St (above the pool hall place which is next to Kitty Flynn's).

Sad to see the Bertram closed. Spent many a happy hour in there trying to avoid eye contact with the local nutters.

As a general observation I went for a few drinks last Thursday evening. Cardiff is quite odd really - the Rummer was quite full, Dempseys was empty (I mean empty, it was me and my mate and the bar staff), the Old A was dead as was the Cottage. And yet there were hundreds of people milling around. Perhaps the young people of today start their evening a bit later (the first pint touched my lips at 5.15pm and I was ready for bedtime by 10.30pm to be fair).

One place that was a very pleasant surprise was the City Arms. I haven't been there for years. The memories of vomiting 6 pints of SA into the urinal as a callow youth sort of tainted the place in my mind. However it was pretty full, they've got a very good selection of beers and lagers, the bar staff were friendly and the clientele was eclectic in the best possible way. A nice chilled out atmosphere. Somewhere between the traditional Brains working mens boozer of yore and a less trendy 10 Feet Tall type place if you can imagine such a beast.

Will definately be going stopping off there more regularly.

Karl
Something called Bar 50 has opened in St Mary St (above the pool hall place which is next to Kitty Flynn's).

Sad to see the Bertram closed. Spent many a happy hour in there trying to avoid eye contact with the local nutters.

As a general observation I went for a few drinks last Thursday evening. Cardiff is quite odd really - the Rummer was quite full, Dempseys was empty (I mean empty, it was me and my mate and the bar staff), the Old A was dead as was the Cottage. And yet there were hundreds of people milling around. Perhaps the young people of today start their evening a bit later (the first pint touched my lips at 5.15pm and I was ready for bedtime by 10.30pm to be fair).

One place that was a very pleasant surprise was the City Arms. I haven't been there for years. The memories of vomiting 6 pints of SA into the urinal as a callow youth sort of tainted the place in my mind. However it was pretty full, they've got a very good selection of beers and lagers, the bar staff were friendly and the clientele was eclectic in the best possible way. A nice chilled out atmosphere. Somewhere between the traditional Brains working mens boozer of yore and a less trendy 10 Feet Tall type place if you can imagine such a beast.

Will definately be going stopping off there more regularly.

thinly veiled 'my AA group says i should discuss my addiction openly with others' post in my opinion

Dempseys doesnt even open in the day time now. It is a late night pub and it knows it. Gets busy when the others chuck out.

Lol young people (me) don't go out until like 10:30/11 these days! Cheaper to pre-drink at home!

Hooters is no longer hooters by the looks of it. The signage has been taken down. I'm guessing it will soon be a sports cafe http://www.sportscafecardiff.com/cardiff although the latest news on this appears to be in the future.

eeeugh, that's crap.

Would be cool to combine hooters with the sports cafe.
I could play basketball in the mini court till i heard the hooter
And i could agree with my m8's this is 1 place where it's certainly not over when the fat lady sings.
But the breast thing about it would be playing on the sports cafe wii fit and getting the hooters staff to show you how to use it.

Good to see people decided they didn't want to support this venue in sufficient numbers to keep it open. Well done Cardiff!

Me
Good to see people decided they didn't want to support this venue in sufficient numbers to keep it open. Well done Cardiff!

I never went in there but surely the point of having this sort of establishment is it provides variety for all tastes. Whilst it is not necessarily my cup of tea, I think Cardiff's offering is lesser for it.

The market decides ultimately. I'd say the location worked against it as much as the theme.

It will be interesting to see if any bar is a success in that location - at present that route never seems to have much footfall.

Mind you, Hooters probably doesn't rely on passing trade. Certainly the Nottingham one (which is a success) is not really on a pedestrian route. Or so I'm told...

I suppose people going to Hooters would want to then stumble next door to a cheap 'n' uncheerful drinking warehouse like Walkabout or Lloyds, or maybe vice-versa.

Chaps

Planning committee meets next week and they are discussing the proposal by Beat Box bars (owners of Buffalo and Ten Feet Tall) to reopen the staff club as a live music bar, open till 4.30. This is with an entrance on Womanby Street to minimise disruption to flats on Westgate Street.

It is recommended for refusal, with the police opposing (if only they would do their job instead of telling us what to do) and about 4 complaints.

I've written to all Planning Committee members to urge them to allow the development on cultural, entrepeneurial, moral etc grounds. I've also asked their opinions on the saturation policy.

Now is the time to act. No use moaning about a lack of independent venues in Cardiff, or empty buildings..a quick email or two could make all the difference. The planning reference is here: 12/00768

Committee members emailed from here: takes 1 minute!

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2870,3139,3153,3947&parent_directory_id=2865

Last change people..planning committee tomorrow.

A few emails could make the difference. Otherwise, it will be one more empty building, one less independent music venue..

I'm sorry James but it's taking me more than one minute just to work out what I'm supposed to do!

Am I supposed to send an email to
development@cardiff.gov.uk?

or am I supposed to click on the 'If your query is related to planning regulations or a planning application please contact the Development Management Administration section of the Planning Department' which leads into all sorts of shit and the inevitable customer satisfaction survey pop up!

It's hardly all that clear is it?

And no, I haven't been drinking either!

sorry...

you click on the councillors name to the right, and their page opens up. Then it's one click on 'email the councillor' and a form opens up.

The council are making decisions based on very minimal opposition. It's about time the silent majority spoke up!

Cheers

Karl
The market decides ultimately. I'd say the location worked against it as much as the theme.

I suppose looking at bouncing boobies in a tight white top has little appeal when on a Saturday night you can venture 5 minutes to St Mary Street and see an array of tw@ts and ars3s on show

anyway, back on topic. I have tried the delightful Lab22 opposite the old kingd cross. it reminds me (in style) of the old union/undeb on womanby street, or stylus on golate. very nice concept, i just wonder whether Cardiff really has the demographic for such an upmarket cocktail bar. i hope so as it does give the city centre somewhere else to go and try.

I don't know the pub, but this sounds good to me.

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/06/13/roaths-four-elms-pub-reopened-as-traditional-alehouse/

Jantra
Karl

I suppose looking at bouncing boobies in a tight white top has little appeal when on a Saturday night you can venture 5 minutes to St Mary Street and see an array of tw@ts and ars3s on show

I hate to disappoint, but this new sports cafe is just Hooters with a different logo. Maybe now that there is a bit of a following (the place did seem to do a decent trade) they'll try to carry it on without paying for the Hooters name?

This photo is from Facebook...not a personal visit!

well they've made pic of the day so can't be bad!! back to cranes'n'concrete tomorrow!!

As a red blood male who isn't afraid to vocalise my enjoyment of the female form, I'd like to say: Hot dang!

James
As a red blood male who isn't afraid to vocalise my enjoyment of the female form, I'd like to say: Hot dang!

personally i thought it looks more like the entry card for crufts but as they say, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I emailed one of the councillors on the planning committee re the Staff Club. One thing I noticed is that Beatbox took up the lease 2 years ago but haven't done anything so far.

I'm surprised that in those 2 years they haven't asked the punters in their other bars to sign a petition, they haven't perhaps carried out a study as to the rates of violence/anti social behaviour in their venues as compared to similar types of venues across the city, prepared a report about recent losses of live music venues in Cardiff and how those type of venues enhance a city's reputation.

They will have known that there would be resistance to this application and that the councillors on the planning committee would have received complaints from a vocal minority. Wasn't an application turned down before? You'd think that they would have done all they can to alleviate these concerns.

I'm happy to support these type of venues as it diversifies nightlife in the city but you've got to ask why the owners themselves (having presumably sunk thousands into the venture already) don't seem to be helping themselves.

The application by Beatbox has been withdrawn according to the Echo.

Looks like Kitty Flynn's is reverting back to it's original name 'The Cambrian.' Plans are on the council website. I wonder if this will also mean an internal refurb as per the Wellington and the Cottage?

I never went into the original Cambrian but according to my old man it was the roughest of the Brains city centre pubs back in the day (which is like saying iot was the tallest member of a basketball team). Other pubs mentioned in the same breath were the Greyhound, the Lifeboat, Custom House and Bristol Hotel (all now gone). I can't think of any 'rough' pubs in the city centre now. How times have changed.

Oh God, I went in the Custom House once, one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

Lyndon
Oh God, I went in the Custom House once, one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

I remember walking past the custom house as a child and asking my parents why all the women were stood outside?

imagine my mothers face when one of them said 'hi pete' to my dad

I made the last bit up for comedy effect

Good news.

Well, hopefully good news coming. The new Brains craft brewery has a website, and it mentions tours of the brewery (presumably just the craft section?) I've long said Brains are missing a trick here, so hopefully they are onto something.

I reckon aside from everyone else, you could get at least 2 stag do's each weekend doing a tour. Charge em £10, including vouchers for 2 brains beers in any city centre brains pub for the weekend and bobs your uncle.

James
Good news.

Well, hopefully good news coming. The new Brains craft brewery has a website, and it mentions tours of the brewery (presumably just the craft section?) I've long said Brains are missing a trick here, so hopefully they are onto something.

I reckon aside from everyone else, you could get at least 2 stag do's each weekend doing a tour. Charge em £10, including vouchers for 2 brains beers in any city centre brains pub for the weekend and bobs your uncle.

I've often thought this. And the pub on site should be open to all.

Karl
I never went into the original Cambrian but according to my old man it was the roughest of the Brains city centre pubs back in the day (which is like saying iot was the tallest member of a basketball team). Other pubs mentioned in the same breath were the Greyhound, the Lifeboat, Custom House and Bristol Hotel (all now gone). I can't think of any 'rough' pubs in the city centre now. How times have changed.

I don't remember The Cambrian as being particularly rough. It was more of a very down at heel 'old man's pub'. The Grehound on the other hand inspired this verse in the Henesseys "Cardiff Born"

"There were riots in Cardiff the other night
With cocktails by Molatov
But they threw them into the Greyhound
Where they drank them before they went off"

IIRC It was the only scrumpy pub in the city centre. The other scrumpy pub I remember was in Llandaff of all places. It was called the Mitre and stood where Mitre Court is now.

I never drunk in there (too young) and so I'm just going by what my old man told me. He used to drink in the Great Eastern and the Ruperra so I value his judgment when talking about rough pubs!! He also used to enjoy a pint in a pub/club called the Bomb and Dagger - the very name would suggest that caution be exercised before entering!

I wouldn't want to meet Karl's Dad down a dark alley.

It would be quite nice if we all had a 'bring your dad to the forum day' sometime.

That made me chuckle James. I can just imagine the scene....

Do you fancy going out to meet some people Dad?

Who are they?

Erm ...I don't really know. I chat to them about architecture, retail and infrastructure issues on the internet when I'm supposed to be working.

I think I'll pass son. I also want you DNA tested pronto, there's no way you can be the fruit of my loins etc etc.........

Iv'e drunk in many dives when i was younger. But 1 pub stands out for me. I went to watch a band play in Aylesbury. After the band finnished i wanted to get a kabab so i walked outside there was a square and on the corner there was a pub. So i walked in and asked for directions to a kabab house.
This happened 6 days later.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/four-shot-and-one-stabbed-in-market-town-pub-police-guard-at-hospital-after-violent-disturbance-when-group-of-men-were-refused-entry-danny-penman-reports-1414088.html
But iv'e never found cardiff pubs to be ruff. Cardiff is a place where if you go looking for it eventully you will get it. Where as iv'e drunk in pubs in other parts of the uk where your starred down, men don't dance and everyone seems to be looking to get 1 over rather then haveing fun. with unlicenced doorman and someone was stabbed probably on a weekly basis. But the police coped with no satuation policy.

A licence application has been made for 'the loft' looks like it is going above the sports cafe (formerly hooters).

I think that would be the third venue in cardiff right now called 'the loft'? Isn't that the name of the place on chip alley next to the wellington? And the moon club have branded their new space overlooking womanby street 'the loft' as well.

elgdav
A licence application has been made for 'the loft' looks like it is going above the sports cafe (formerly hooters).

Looks like "the Loft" is a comedy club. Is Jongleurs still going or is the Glee club the only regular comedy night in the Bay / City Centre?

Beat Box Bars (who run Buffalo and Ten Feet Tall) have resubmitted their application to take on the old Glamorgan Social Club on Womanby Street, now with opening hours until 2.30am (as opposed to 4.30 am on previous application). They intend to install a new door on Womanby Street to make this the main entrance/exit. I know a few people on here sent emails of support for their last application. Still time to do it again for this one.

Application number: 12/01241/DCI
E-mail address: development@cardiff.gov.uk

For more info, search for the application number on this page: http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/

This building really needs someone in there who is prepared to spend the money on doing it up, before it deteriorates even more.

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM