CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Author
Comment
Re: Bar/club activity in Cardiff

The Brazilian bar /restaurant at the bottom of St Mary Street (2.30am) and the new real ale bar on Albany Road (10.30pm) were both given permission to serve alcohol today:

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/08/24/rhymney-brewery-given-permission-to-sell-alcohol-at-roath-real-ale-bar/

Me
The Brazilian bar /restaurant at the bottom of St Mary Street (2.30am) and the new real ale bar on Albany Road (10.30pm) were both given permission to serve alcohol today.

Some common sense at last. For those of us who remember the old Rhumney Brewery the Albany Road pub seems like the return of an old friend. The Hobby Horse roams again! Younger readers may to have to consult their grandads about that last reference!

A licence application has been made for Harlech Court (the building between The big sleep and altolusso) which was previously a club about 10 years ago.

Ash
Some common sense at last. For those of us who remember the old Rhumney Brewery the Albany Road pub seems like the return of an old friend. The Hobby Horse roams again! Younger readers may to have to consult their grandads about that last reference![/quote

I went into the Rhymney Brewery bar (the Andrew Buchan) on Friday. It looks like a Ladbrokes inside. Red everywhere with very bright lighting. Lets say that the refurb was more 60 minute makeover than DIY SOS. However the beer was lovely and the pub was very well supported. It's a good addition to the Roath 'scene'.

The people who run Buffalo / 10 Ten Feet Tall have again withdrawn their license application for the old Glamorgan Social Club on Womanby Street (2am I think it was) to re-submit with an earlier time again (1am ish I think, but not sure). More interestingly, scaffolding has appeared on the building suggesting work to fix the roof and halt the ongoing decline of the structure could be on the way.

Glamorgan social club to reopen as 'Fire Island', until 12.30am Sunday to Thursday, and 1.30am on Fridays and Saturdays. By BeatBox Bars people. No indication of when this will happen...:

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/10/11/westgate-streets-old-county-club-set-to-open-as-cafe-bar/

elgdav
A licence application has been made for Harlech Court (the building between The big sleep and altolusso) which was previously a club about 10 years ago.

More info here:

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/10/16/arts-and-artists-bar-planned-for-city-centre/

From the article:

"Plans for a new “arts and artists bar” showcasing plays, comedy, cabaret, cinema, and live music in Cardiff city centre have been submitted to Cardiff Council.

Daniel Porter has applied for a premises licence for the new venture, which will be known as Porter’s, on the ground floor of Harlech Court in Bute Terrace.

Mr Porter’s application, which seeks permission to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment and late night refreshment, says the bar will have a small stage area for performances of plays, comedy, cabaret and some live music.

There will also be space for functions, and a one-screen cinema room for films.

Mr Porter said: “There will not be a designated dance floor but should customers wish to dance they may do so. This bar however will not be a disco or a nightclub, neither will it ostensibly be a live music venue. It will use artistic activity to generate character, warmth and charm.”

Cardiff Council’s sub licensing committee will consider the application on Friday, with Porter’s asking for permission to sell alcohol between midday and midnight Sunday to Tuesday, midday to 1am on Wednesdays, midday to 2am on Thursdays, and midday to 3am on Fridays and Saturdays."

I think this sounds like a nice idea. But I wonder if it over stretches the city centre capacity for bars looking towards the arty / independent crowd (whatever that means). You could include this place along with the Bunk House, Gwdihw, The Moon, Full Moon, Clwb, the new beat box bars place (Fire Island), along with their others: Buffalo, Ten Feet Tall and Undertone. I'm not sure how many people there are in cardiff looking for these types of places. Hopefully they will all be successful, we'll see...

It sounds almost like a city centre version of Chapter. I think being away from the main drag will actually be of benefit in this instance. Part of the problem when the Toucan was on St Mary St was that quite often it was full of people who got lost on the way to Flares/Walkabout/Lloyds No I/Liquid etc etc.

Always assuming that it even gets off the ground with the inevitable police objections.....

Surely there must be a precident for late night use of this venue. For many years it was a late night club (Detox 'n' Addiction most recently), including a year or two whilst Altolusso was next door.

Sounds interesting, although the venue is cursed (nothing has lasted that long there) given its "remote" location.

Anyone remember the plans a few years back for Harlech Court to be demolished and a new 30(?) story block complete with rooftop bar and restaurant?

RandomComment
Surely there must be a precident for late night use of this venue. For many years it was a late night club (Detox 'n' Addiction most recently), including a year or two whilst Altolusso was next door.

Sounds interesting, although the venue is cursed (nothing has lasted that long there) given its "remote" location.

Anyone remember the plans a few years back for Harlech Court to be demolished and a new 30(?) story block complete with rooftop bar and restaurant?

Yes indeed I well remember those plans, and I even naively thought they would happen,(sad but true) mind you I also thought a certain wood street construction would occur and dare I add some ambitious projects on our International sports Village!!! actually there's quite a long list of disapointments when I think about it

That smoked glass mid rise on top of Harlech Court always looks suspicious to me. There's been a glass-pane missing from the fenestration for years and there's just a concrete wall behind it. I reckon it's a nuclear reactor in disguise.

porter's bar has been given the go ahead, with the hours they wanted:

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/10/22/alcohol-licence-granted-for-arts-and-artists-bar/

I wonder if they are thinking it will become a bit of a hang out for students at the atrium? It certainly stretches the night time offering of the city centre in a different direction, south east of the main drag.

They are on twitter..

http://twitter.com/Porterscardiff

Just been given a tour of the new Chapel bar on Churchill Way. Very very impressive indeed. Got to be in with a shout of being the most impressive restaurant in the city centre. Lots of wood and a great pattern across the place that builds on (what I'm guessing) are original features in the building. Absolutely one to take people to you want to impress. It's not cheap but not major expensive either, with a bar menu mains around £7-12 and restaurant menu mains (on the balcony overlooking the bar) £10-22ish. Sure, that is more money than many, but not crazy. I didnt eat any of it though, so no idea how it tastes...

Apparently there is a small night club down stairs, but i didnt see it. a;so their is an outside balcony area overlooking the street. venue opens properly tomorrow. worth having a visit just to see the building, and i think it works as a bar as well so you can just call in for a lemonade and have a nose. A real positive addition to city centre life...

Sound great.

Prices aren't bad, but it's all dependent on quality. To be honest, while I'm a mid-earner I'd welcome some more expensive restaurants in the city if it were matched by quality.

I think this place gained an alcohol licence before the saturation policy was extended to Churchill Way..

..either that, or it's a sign that the new Labout administration aren't enforcing the policy so rigidly. If so then I may get a red rose tattooed on my back, as (as I've said often enough on here) the saturation policy in principle and practice is one of the most idiotic pieces of legislation/guidance I've ever come across.

Are you a NIMBY as well as a Snob?

Sickofthehype

What's NIMBY-ish about disagreeing with saturation policies (it's quite the opposite if one happens to live in a central area of Cardiff), and what's snobbish about wanting people who earn more than oneself to have high end dining options in the city?

I completely agree with James - licensing applications should be considered on individual merits and while saturation should be a factor in those considerations, it shouldn't be a policy to refuse across the board. There are many, many different types of licensed premises.

And I want Cardiff to have the best possible nightlife and dining options it can - across the spectrum of tastes and affordability. The city should be as appealing as possible to people who might want to invest here. Dining is a part of that - Cardiff's reputation as a culinary backwater does its general reputation no favours at all.

Dempseys have had a little re-furb and are rebranding the upstairs as the Four Bars, it seems to be a bit more of a separate venue with more of a focus of live music, but I've not seen it and I don't know what they plan so will be interesting to see how it plays out. For example, will they use the separate entance/exit onto womanby street and really try to make it work as a stand alone venue? If so, with this and the other new/newish things it all adds to the womanby street new music feel...

The name Four Bars has some history in the venue, and I think they are trying to recreate the old energy through the new brand.

DaiB
Sickofthehype

What's NIMBY-ish about disagreeing with saturation policies (it's quite the opposite if one happens to live in a central area of Cardiff), and what's snobbish about wanting people who earn more than oneself to have high end dining options in the city?

I completely agree with James - licensing applications should be considered on individual merits and while saturation should be a factor in those considerations, it shouldn't be a policy to refuse across the board. There are many, many different types of licensed premises.

And I want Cardiff to have the best possible nightlife and dining options it can - across the spectrum of tastes and affordability. The city should be as appealing as possible to people who might want to invest here. Dining is a part of that - Cardiff's reputation as a culinary backwater does its general reputation no favours at all.

I just wonder if he would have the same convictions if he lived at Landmark Place!!?? If he wants to pay more for his food, more fool he!

Sickofthehype

I just wonder if he would have the same convictions if he lived at Landmark Place!!?? If he wants to pay more for his food, more fool he!

if you moved into landmark place and complained about the city noise then the term nimby would not be appropriate whereas numtpy would.

who moves into a city centre apartment on one of the busiest night life streets in the capital with a hope of having a peaceful Friday/Saturday night?

Me
The name Four Bars has some history in the venue, and I think they are trying to recreate the old energy through the new brand.

I remember the Pub being called that at one time. Wasn't the upstairs used as a pub theatre for a period? We could do with one of those.

Sickofthehype
DaiB
Sickofthehype

I totally agree with DaiB, and thanks for standing up for me!

To clarify, if there are two things I am NOT it is a nimby or a snob.

It is nimbys who don't want new bars and restaurants. I want to see new bars and restaurants! I have sympathy, and it is an issue if a nightclub is opening up underneath your own house. It's something quite different if a bar is opening up 50m down the street and you choose to live in the city centre.

As for prices..believe me, one of the things I love about Cardiff is it's still an identifiably working class city, where people can get a pint for under £2 in their own city centre (same cannot be said for many cities). But I'm also a genuine liberal (in the truest sense of the word) and I welcome diversity whether I will frequent the venue or not, and that goes for a high end restaurant, a mosque or a strip club.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Chapel restaraunt is like. I went to Pembroke Terrace chapel a few time as a kid for Cymanfas, Eisteddfodau etc and it had a very beautiful interior. It's good to hear that some of it has survived.

We in Wales have been very bad at preserving and finding new uses for redundant chapels. It's particularly sad as they, together with miner's institutes, represent almost our only indigenous 'grand architecture'.

Pembroke Terrace is a gem from the outside. Well done to both the 1983 and current developers if the interior has been preserved as far as possible.

went to both Porters and Fire Island on saturday. Both superb venues and I very much recommend them. Granted, judging a place based on a rugby day is like judging your wife based on her behaviour on her hen do, but I think they will be come great venues.

Cardiff's nightlife has come on a lot in the last 2-3 years in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to checking out these venues along with the Chapel and the Cosy Cafe Club or whatever it's called.

Wizard
I'm looking forward to checking out these venues along with the Chapel and the Cosy Cafe Club or whatever it's called.

Chapel = very nicely laid out, decent choice of beer, good atmosphere, a bit like the Parkhouse i.e. a bit plush

Porters - probably the best of the night really. A good little venue with a cinema room (I kid you not) that was showing Tom and Jerry cartoons. Again a good choice of beer with live music/singing. a good eclectic crowd

Fire Inside - disappointing - the beer was rubbish although they have kitted out the place very well and a lot of the original features are in situ. not sure about the floor tiles on the bar

Cosy Club - it is ok, the beer and atmosphere were ok, but the jury is still out - seemed a bit pretentious in places - the country life magazines on the toilet walls is trying to be 'Made in Chelsea' esque

I agree on Porters. I'm surprised you said that about Fire Island though, I think it's a great little place.

Surprised about the 'rubbish beer' comment too - considering they've teamed up with Tiny Rebel who are a fantastic new brewery in Newport. Cosy Club was also selling one of their beers when I was there. Perhaps their special brew for Beatbox isn't one of their best!

in fairness Dai I'm a Philistine regarding beer, preferring lager to bitter and ale. What was on offer wasn't really my tipple, although I did force it down. I'd go back in there, I just think the City Arms next door is a better pub. I didn't try the new 'model inn'. that's next on the hitlist - perhaps a forum Christmas drink

Ah well, we shall have to cultivate your tastes! Real ale is quite the fashionable thing at the moment - which is nice as I was expecting to spend the rest of my life as the one with the oddball tastes... Anyway, yes the City Arms is a fantastic all-rounder beer wise. And they do a great loyalty card scheme. Have been to Greenwood and Brown (former Model Inn), it's fine but definitely a restaurant rather than a bar. Very competent well made food though. And I quite like the decor which is half industrial, half Hayes public toilet tiled Victoriana (in the best possible way).

Obviously people should enjoy the beers they like, but I would recommend SA Gold to anyone who prefers lager but wouldn't mind trying other things...It's a lovely beer.

Does anyone know anything about this new Jewel bar that is expected to land in Cardiff in January?

https://twitter.com/JewelCardiff

Possibly at the old Hard Rock cafe location?

Lee
http://www.djleekee.co.uk

It's run by Novus Leisure who also run Tiger Tiger.

There are a few Jewel bars in central London, they we're bought by Novus a few years ago.

Very glitzy, cocktail led late night venues. Bit classier than most on St. Mary Street I imagine!

Looks like The Promised Land in Windsor Place has closed.

It was actually ok in there. That's a bit of a shame.

I heard this the other day.

That is a shame, was a nice little place. Hopefully something similar will go there.

Simon__200
Looks like The Promised Land in Windsor Place has closed.

that is not good news. it was my fave bar in the city centre. it was great for live music

Yeah, that is a shame. That building never seems to stay unused for long though, so fingers crossed.

The above mentioned Jewel Bar is going into the lower level of Tiger Tiger. It's due to open soon.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding the closure of Promised Land but you would think that Windsor Place would be ripe for bars etc. Summit House is nearing it's completion to student residences and Windsor House has been granted planning permission for the same. Plus there are student premises planned for nearby St Andrews Lane.

This is working on the basis that students are the same as/similar to students in my day and spend a fair bit of time on the lash. I may be wrong in this assumption - students do appear to be a different breed these days and I think the student experience is quite a bit different to what it was.

On a separate note that little area was probably the most laid back and pleasant of the city centre 'drinking zones'. Buffalo, Promised Land, Bar 33 and Pen and Wig were/are all nice places for a drink and a bite to eat. Even the Wetherspoons has a certain charm.

Didn't know where to post this so I've posted it here. Swn festival is shortlisted for an NME award in the category of best small festival. See link -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2013/01/24/cardiff-music-festival-nominated-in-nme-awards-91466-32664208/

Good news. Hopefully it will grow and become one of Cardiff's cultural staples in years to come.

Bute Dock hotel in West Bute Street was being substantially tarted up when I walked past earlier..the pub reopening?

James
Bute Dock hotel in West Bute Street was being substantially tarted up when I walked past earlier..the pub reopening?

I think they were just tidying and cleaning up the mess allegedly left by the squatters that were recently evicted. I gather one of the estate agents was using it as extra offices/storage space.

Yeah I heard something similar.

It is being painted in a very 'pub-y' style though. Who knows, I'll update on any progress I note when I walk past!

Steam Bar on the Friary is now a Costa Coffee. This was part of the Hilton and it always felt like you were having a pint in a leisure centre due to its proximity to the Hilton's gym.

Are there any good hotel bars in Cardiff? Bar Cwtch at Jolyons Hotel in the Bay is decent but I'm struggling to think of any good bars attached to hotels. In other cities some hotel bars are destinations in their own right.

The Angel used to have the Angel tavern which was an old haunt of mine and of course there was the late, lamented Park Vaults attached to the Park Hotel. The Grand Hotel in Westgate Street had the Grand Vaults for a while which used to be quite popular. But most bars in Cardiff hotels I've been in have been dismal places, almost entirely empty and designed and priced for salesmen with expense accounts.

James
Yeah I heard something similar.

It is being painted in a very 'pub-y' style though. Who knows, I'll update on any progress I note when I walk past!

As unofficial spokesperson for James, I can confirm that the Bute Dock has finished being re-painted grey and black, and has been given a thorough makeover into office space. A boarded-up pub has been lost, but a clean looking bit of office space has been created. Because the outside of the pub has a tidy bit of character, the change of use works architecturally.

Karl
Steam Bar on the Friary is now a Costa Coffee.

Thank God for that. I often used to have serious withdrawal symptoms walking down that caffeine-free thoroughfare. Now if only they could locate another one between the Hilton and the Museum before you get to their outlet on Park Place.....

Karl
Are there any good hotel bars in Cardiff? Bar Cwtch at Jolyons Hotel in the Bay is decent but I'm struggling to think of any good bars attached to hotels. In other cities some hotel bars are destinations in their own right.

The Jolyon's on Cathedral Road is pretty good as well - but you're right there aren't many decent hotel bars. The (old) Royal Hotel and Queen's Hotel on Saint Mary Street both had great "grand hotel" style bars - sadly long gone.

The Park Plaza tries to have a public bar, and has its own nightclub, but I'm not sure either really work as an independent venue. More breakout space for corporate types staying at the hotel.

in other news, word going around that Clwb Ifor Bach might close, via the BBC so it says:

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/177523/9

I don't believe it for a minute. New people will come forward and run it. There is no indication that it is currently unsuccessful.

12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM