CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
maindy rail sidings

couldn't seean existing thread on this.....but the area i mean is the old cathays, maindy sidings off maindy road.
there is a large amount of land here still to be developed, lidl and the uni optometry centre at one end and student flats at the other......but i saw a surveyor on site this week and wondered if anyone knows what is planned for this area or if its on a development plan for anything in particular - would imagine it should all be for uni buildings, i know a genetics department is mooted.

Re: maindy rail sidings

It's some sort of research and exhibition centre. They describe it as a "first phase" and are developing a masterplan so I don't think it stops with that.

It's all explained here under under the "Extending our Campus Horizons" piece:

http://issuu.com/cardiff_university/docs/cardiff_uni_news_vol15_no2/3

Yes the Uni have got plans for the site - they have asked staff for suggstions.

The Genetics building is very much on the cards as was a new library (the thinking being to cluster several smaller ones in a super centre)though I am not too sure if this is still the plan.

I saw a presentation some time back on the plans for Maindy sidings. Concept renders but exciting and visionary.

All academic though (forgive the pun) as the university's funding has just been cut.

In planning this week:

09/02175/C Outline Planning Permission Expected Decision DEL
Received: 09/12/2009 Ward: CATHAYS
Case Officer: Alan Groves
Applicant: Mr Dudridge Cardiff University, Physical and Financial Resources Directorate, McKenzie House, 30-36 Newport Road
Agents: Powell Dobson Urbanists, Miss Jennifer Heal, Charterhouse, Links Business Park, St Mellons, CARDIFF
Proposal: PROPOSED UNIVERSITY POST-GRADUATE RESEARCH FACILITY DEVELOPMENT
At: FORMER MAINDY SIDINGS SITE, ADJACENT TO MAINDY ROAD AND NORTH OF UNIVERSITY OPTOMETRY BUILDING,

The planning committee just gone granted this outline permission:

------------------------------

1. DESCRIPTION OF PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT
1.1 This outline application proposes the development of a vacant site, the former
Maindy railway sidings, to provide a university research facility. Appearance,
landscaping, layout and scale are reserved for later approval, but access is to
be considered now.

1.2 The application relates to the provision of 60,000 sqm of research space,
which would be used by Cardiff University for post-graduate research
purposes, to include laboratories and administration. The exact number of
staff to be accommodated on site is not known at the stage but the agent
anticipates that it will range between 800 and 1200 employees. It should be
noted that the application does not include for student accommodation.
Building Heights

1.3 The 60,000 sqm of research space would be accommodated in a number of
buildings, which would vary in height from 2 storeys to 7 storeys. The
masterplan indicates that the taller buildings would adjoin the railway line,
with 2 and 3 storey development along the Maindy Road elevation. The
submitted parameters plan, as updated in the DAS addendum, provides an
indicative section that shows minimum and maximum storey heights in the
main development blocks. The blocks adjoining the railway line would have
between 6 and 7 storeys ( approximately 15m – 30.4m in height), with the
proposed development stepping down to between 2 and 3 storeys
(approximately 5m – 13.6m in height) on the Maindy Road elevation. The
development blocks in the centre of the site are envisaged as accommodating
blocks between 4 and 5 storeys high (10m – 22m).
Phasing

1.4 An indicative phasing plan, updated in the DAS addendum, has been
included in the masterplan, and this suggests that the scheme would be
completed over seven phases, across a period of 15 to 20 years. The
phasing plan indicates that the existing wall, adjoining Maindy Road, would be
retained in Phase 1 only and would subsequently be demolished to
accommodate new buildings. The masterplan indicates that phase 1 would
provide 9,500 sqm of research space, with each subsequent phase providing
additional floorspace between 6,500 sqm and 12,000sqm. The University
acknowledge the extended timescale for construction, and suggest that the
residual land could be used as a tree nursery – the University is exploring the
viability of this concept.

This bit is also interesting:

----------

Access
1.5 The application proposes a pedestrian and cycle bridge over the existing
railway, which would be constructed during phase 2 of the development. The
masterplan indicates that the bridge would provide a link from Minister Street
into the Colum Road campus. The bridge would be the focus of a new plaza
area, which the masterplan suggests would provide the setting for the first
building in phase 1.

1.6 Two vehicle access points are proposed. One would use the existing vehicle
access point for the optometry building, and the other would provide a
entrance at the Llantrisant Street end of the site – alterations to the Maindy
Road/Llantrisant Street junction will be required to accommodate the
proposed new access point. A two–way vehicle route would be established
around the perimeter

For the keen:

------------------

Public Realm
1.9 The application identifies a number of key public realm spaces around the
site, including the proposed access points from Maindy Road, courtyard
planting on the Maindy Road frontage, tree planting on Maindy Road, and a
potential area of recreational space in the north-east corner of the site –
shown as tennis courts on the submitted masterplan. 3no. public plazas are
suggested within the site: Bridge Plaza – a public square focussed on the
pedestrian/cycle bridge, Exchange Square – located in the middle of the site,
which it is anticipated could accommodate potential café and outdoor eating
space, and University Square – accessible from the proposed new vehicular
access from the Llantrisant Street/Maindy Street junction, the applicant
envisages this area as a shared space, pedestrian dominated with
opportunities for seating.

Some plans for three research centres at the new Maindy campus

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/06/14/cardiff-creating-three-research-institutes-91466-26644003/

I've been having a look at the Cardiff University Website "Campus Horizons" page at their various planned developments.

Does anyone know what the progress is with all these projects ? I know they wanted the "gateway building" at Maindy Park to be open for 2012 but I've not heared anything since.

I though I'd get a few photos on here from the website.

The Cochrane Building in Heath Park (for healthcare schools)

School of Biosciences extension

Maindy Park

^^^^^

Jantra likes these

The Cochrane building is under construction at UHW and not far from topping out I reckon, it's really shot up.

The Biosciences entrance looked to be pretty much finished a couple of weeks ago, it looks really impressive.

Cochrane has another floor to go. They are putting the windows in the lower floors already.

I love the Cochrane building, I must take a detour through UHW on the way home one evening.

Thanks for the updates Lyndon and Rhodri

I noticed the following two planning applications for the maindy campus development :

10/02341/DCI Variation of conditions
Expected Decision DEL
Received: 23/12/2010 Ward: CATHAYS
Applicant: Mr. Duddridge Cardiff University, Estates Department, McKenzie House, 30-36 Newport Road
Agents: Nightingale Associates, The Old Convent, The Walk, Cardiff, , CF24 4AG
Proposal: VARIATION OF CONDITION 30 OF PLANNING PERMISSION 09/2175/C TO ALLOW PARTIAL
DEMOLITION OF RAILWAY SHEDS
At: FORMER MAINDY SIDINGS SITE, ADJACENT TO MAINDY ROAD AND NORTH OF UNIVERSITY OPTOMETRY B

10/02345/DCI Full Planning Permission Expected Decision DEL
Received: 22/12/2010 Ward: CATHAYS
Applicant: Mr S Duddridge Cardiff University, McKenzie House, 30-36 Newport Road, Cardiff
Agents: Nightingale Associates, Mr R Golledge, The Old Convent, The Walk, CARDIFF, CF24 3AG
Proposal: APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL OF RESERVED MATTERS FOLLOWING OUTLINE APPROVAL FOR
PHASE 1 OF PLANNING PERMISSION 09/02175/C (POST GRADUATE RESEARCH FACILITY)
At: FORMER MAINDY SIDINGS SITE, ADJACENT TO MAINDY ROAD AND NORTH OF UNIVERSITY OPTOMETRY BUILDING

There is a further application before the Planning Committee regarding partial demolition of the railway buildings fronting Maindy Rd.

The interesting part of the application is the updated renders of the first proposed building on this site next to the optometry building. They can be viewed in the 9th March planning docs on the Council website. More glass and metal than the indicative drawings in a previous post in this thread
although one has to say they have a bit of the 'out of town business park' about them.

It's difficult to tell if these are indicative or a representation of what the buildings will actually look like, or if the renders are just to aid the current application or an indication that the first phase is imminent.

The pics:

The descriptions look pretty detailed. I'd suspect these are quite advanced designs if not final. Lots of detail on the materials used etc.

Looks like the new Maindy Park campus building (now known as the Haydn Ellis Building) is starting on site next week with construction contracts awarded. Good to see a few more projects starting up now!

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2011/05/12/bam-wins-20m-cardiff-university-building/

Cardiff Ian
Looks like the new Maindy Park campus building (now known as the Haydn Ellis Building) is starting on site next week with construction contracts awarded. Good to see a few more projects starting up now!

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2011/05/12/bam-wins-20m-cardiff-university-building/

If you go on the University website they appear to have had a little ceremony to dig the first piece of grass on the site involving Mr Ellis' widow. I don't know how much of that site this will cover.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement about this but there should be! Went along today and the ground has been flattened with several diggers at work over a couple of hundred yards. Hopefully this won't be another Tyndall St with progress at a snail's pace. I have faith in the University.

Compared to a lot of others I think Tyndall Street is a fast mover!

But yes, this will be good to watch.

Me
Compared to a lot of others I think Tyndall Street is a fast mover!

But yes, this will be good to watch.

Tyndall St is definitely on the fast track compared to most office developments.

Plenty of activity indeed. Here's a couple of snaps from the other side of the tracks. Looks like the makings of a small car park and some drains going in:

Great to see! Thanks

Can anyone report on progress here? It's a pretty major site and is totally active but hardly gets a mention on the forum!

I think it's neglected because it isn't on one of the main routes into the city centre, but yes it's a pretty major site so I'd be interested to know as well.

Anyone have a clue, or better still know where we can get some progress photos (other than getting them myself) ?

Are those photos taken from the Aberconway Building of Cardiff Business School? I remember being a student there back and wondering what could be done to that vast expanse of land there.

Are the plans for a train station somewhere between Cathays and Llandaff in the future in this vicinity?

Progress is slow and deliberate at this stage, there is a clear steer for a quality job so it may take some time.

As for the station between Cathays and Llandaf there was an approach made for a station at Tal-y-Bont but I am unsure of the response. I will find out and let you all know.

When this line was part of the Taff Vale railway there was a Maindy Halt approximately where North Road crossed over the railway. When the line is electrified additional halts could be possible.

I went past the site this morning on the way to work. Nothing above ground as yet although a fair bit of activity. The site has now been boaded off which would suggest materials and plant are coming shortly.

In other matters pertaining to Cathays the new houses/flats in Pentyrch St are progressing. They are being built in a similar style to the houses surrounding it ie. red brick, double bay fronted. The ground floor is below the level of the street which suggests that they will be 3 or 4 stories high which points to flats rather than houses.

I also went past the Sherman. The exterior is almost complete. I didn't get a chance to have a good look as I was on my bike and I had several cars right up my arse. First impressions are very favourable - the texture of the facade is like the scales of a fish and is a bit more 'bling' than the renders. It also seems to have been extended quite a bit (I suppose that was always the case but it just looks a whole lot bigger). A vast improvement - although the downside to that is that the buildings surrounding it - the SU, Mathematics building, innovation workshops etc look even more mediocre.

The site is a hive of activity at the moment, lots of foundation works going on.

The snaps are taken from the Julian Hodge building which is next door to the Business School building. I'll try to update with new pics as soon as we have a nice sunny day!

secretdancer
The site is a hive of activity at the moment, lots of foundation works going on.

The snaps are taken from the Julian Hodge building which is next door to the Business School building. I'll try to update with new pics as soon as we have a nice sunny day!

Thank you ! Photos of progress are always hugely appreciated on here.

A couple more snaps - I'll wait forever if I wait for the sun to shine!

Hard to see in the photo but there is scaffolding up at the end of the brick shed on the far side, looks like they are blocking it up and leaving it standing for the time being.

Does anyone have any detailed info for what exactly these new buildings are going to be used for?

As I understand it it's going to be some sort of grand seminar/research "hub" that won't be part of any particular academic school. I'm just curious as to where it all fits in.

From the Uni website:

The new building will act as the “front door” to Maindy Park. Architects have designed it to complement its neighbour, the University’s School of Optometry and Vision Sciences and to fit in with the nearby residential housing on Maindy Road. The building has been designed to be sustainable in both its building materials and energy consumption. An independent environmental assessment of the design has rated it “excellent.”

The Building will house highly advanced facilities for some of the University’s world-leading interdisciplinary scientific teams. The ground floor will include an attractive public area for lectures, displays and conferences about Cardiff University’s work. The public will be able to see the University’s research work at first hand and discuss it with academics.

Two of Cardiff University’s recently-launched Research Institutes will occupy laboratories in the building. They are:

The European Cancer Stem Cell Research Institute. The long-term ambition is to investigate whether new therapies targeted on cancer stem cells offer better survival rates than current treatments aimed at all the cells in tumours.

Neurosciences and Mental Health Research Institute. The Institute will put to work Cardiff’s breakthroughs on the genetic origins of brain diseases, understanding how exactly they change human behaviour and developing new therapies to counter such illnesses as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and Alzheimer’s Disease.

Thanks secretdancer. I was wondering if, one day when you have time, you could take a photo from the same spot looking to the left to give a sense of how much of the site remains undeveloped for future phases of the work? As I understand it this is only the first of several buildings, but I'm trying to get a sense of what proportion of the site will be completed with this build. I guess in the fullness of time the newly laid carpark pictured could itself be dug up and replaced by a new building and additional multi-story car park. Thanks again.

Equally, does anyone have a map of the site showing subsequent phases of development?

In an attempt to answer my own question, I guess we can look at the sketch below:

This is obviously not much of a sketch, and I'm not sure how much equivalence there is between this and whats getting built. However the sketch does show the location of the building in which the above photo was taken (the first one over the bridge on the other side of the rail track) which suggests if there is any sense of scale in the sketch that there is still a lot of space remaining. I guess the (as yet unbuilt) bridge will be located on that plot of land between the car park and the foundations going into the new site, which gives a sense of how much is still left to do.

Am I being foolish reading too much in to this sketch?

Will certainly try to grab some more pics but this may help in the meantime:

The Uni certainly has big plans for the Campus Horizons site

Interestingly, new work will be taking place on the other side of the tracks soon, in the space which is currently a car park. A new building for the business school:

Great! Any further info on the new Business School building? Is the image a near finished design? Or just an initial plan showing scale? I imagine the new bridge needs to be accomodated there somewhere as well. Is it meant to replace the existing Business School? Or is it just expanding? Also, any ideas where the car parking will go? Will people be parked across the railway line? Or a new multi-story as part of this development? Lots of questions I know...

As far as I know the new business school building will be their new postgraduate centre - so expanding.

The new building will take up the majority of the existing car park, so will be pretty large but the design is not yet finalised.

The car park will be relocated, at the expense of a few spaces, to the site which is currently occupied by the University Guest Building. This is on the other side of the main business school building.

Don't know anything about the bridge, but would be a great addition if one is built.

A bridge is planned, to quote the planning app for the Maindy site (from above):

"Access
1.5 The application proposes a pedestrian and cycle bridge over the existing railway, which would be constructed during phase 2 of the development. The
masterplan indicates that the bridge would provide a link from Minister Street into the Colum Road campus. The bridge would be the focus of a new plaza
area, which the masterplan suggests would provide the setting for the first building in phase 1."

Hopefully something a little plaza like will also be included on the business school site so it all connects up nicely.

Large tower crane appeared on site today, construction progressing well.

secretdancer
Large tower crane appeared on site today, construction progressing well.

At last, another crane to be seen on the city skyline

when i was in uni in the mid 90's and talybont south was being built we / the union tried to get a stop for talybont put on the rail lialleys jounrneyne, no go then, but the place houses 2000 students with a new block to be built, would be ideal, but would add 4 mins to a valleys journey.

By tyhe by, the site is quite a special hostoric one as rae the sheds they have quite nicely boarded up.....Arguably for good or ill the birthplace of the British Laboiur Party following the Taff Vale dispute, hope they do something decent to commemorate it when its finished.

4 minutes extra? Two minutes I might just believe. It only makes sense if there are extra problems with doing this.

yep, rule of thumb for additional stops for trains is 4 mins for journey times. its the additional slowing, doors opening, waiting, doors closing and then speeding up again.
one reason why electric trains are seen as a good thing, get back up to speed quicker.

The worst thing for rail journeys - a la the much maligned cardiff london for example is the stops. Adding didcot parkway in is bad for south wales trains no matter whether the elctrify the mainline or not etc

Hang on a minute. Coryton to Heath Low Level is 9 minutes. There are 4 stations in between so how can each stop add 4 minutes to the journey? 4 minutes probably applies to the mainline trains that take an age to stop. I can't believe a new stop in Maindy would add any more than 2 minutes to a journey to Llandaff unless there were signalling issues or something.

Oh and when is that shed going to get torn down? Is it grade II listed or something?

Frank
Hang on a minute. Coryton to Heath Low Level is 9 minutes. There are 4 stations in between so how can each stop add 4 minutes to the journey? 4 minutes probably applies to the mainline trains that take an age to stop. I can't believe a new stop in Maindy would add any more than 2 minutes to a journey to Llandaff unless there were signalling issues or something.

Great reply!

Frank
Oh and when is that shed going to get torn down? Is it grade II listed or something?

I assume you mean the brick shed which is currently lining part of the site on the Maindy Road side? I reckon that'll be torn down in Phase 2 of the developments. They did knock part of it down for better access to the site, but I guess the rest of it does save us from wooden hoarding. They've spent an awfully long time bricking it back up at its southern end too.

Two tower cranes on site now!

twas indeed a good reply and i did indicate a rule of thumb time, and your correct it was based on a more mainline approach. That line is far more like a metro liune and the train would in no way get back up to full speed between stations. On the timetable valleys journey you add an extra stop the timetable will around 4 mins, 3 minimum, I kid you not.

1 2 3
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM