CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Bayscape

Don't give up hope, it may still happen, especially if the ISV takes off in the way it has been suggested. It would seem to be an opportunity for someone to open a hotel there, so why not this one?

(Super optimism, glass half full, more donut than hole mode well and truly ON)

Well something will happen to the site at some stage. It's the economy, stupid - or rather it's the stupid Chancelor!

Ash
Well something will happen to the site at some stage. It's the economy, stupid - or rather it's the stupid Chancelor!

Shouldn't that be "Chancellor"? There's an L of a difference!

Ash

Not sure the chancellor is entirely to blame for the economy, more like a weak euro zone and high global commodity prices such as fuel.

Jantra - So quick to blame the Welsh Government for the mess of the Welsh economy yet blames the Eurozone for Britain's poor perfomance. Dalier ati!

I blame the tectonic plates. We could be part of China now.

SP
Jantra - So quick to blame the Welsh Government for the mess of the Welsh economy yet blames the Eurozone for Britain's poor perfomance. Dalier ati!

I agree that the Welsh government can do only so much - that is to say that within their remit they have not done very much at all, not when you compare with regions such as the South West (think about CWL vs BRS) who operate in a more rigid environment that WG.

The UK government is responsible for the UK economy, but given the external factors outside its control, its pushing water uphill in some respects.

Tell me, Jantra. What exactly is their remit? They have very limited power. Let's face it, devolution was a token gesture for a token part of the UK. We have sunk because of actions decided in London, not Cardiff Bay. That is something that you cannot deny.

Jantra
SP

I agree that the Welsh government can do only so much - that is to say that within their remit they have not done very much at all, not when you compare with regions such as the South West (think about CWL vs BRS) who operate in a more rigid environment that WG.

The UK government is responsible for the UK economy, but given the external factors outside its control, its pushing water uphill in some respects.

I think cardiff has generally been pretty successful at attracting new projects compared to bristol. At least a friend of mine working in bristol complains that everything always goes to cardiff.

I think cardiff has generally been pretty successful at attracting new projects compared to bristol. At least a friend of mine working in bristol complains that everything always goes to cardiff.

Then again, glad we don't live in Swansea, they obviously need a better "ring-fence"

But the Welsh government said money ring-fenced for the project had been redistributed elsewhere in Wales.

SP
Tell me, Jantra. What exactly is their remit? They have very limited power. Let's face it, devolution was a token gesture for a token part of the UK. We have sunk because of actions decided in London, not Cardiff Bay. That is something that you cannot deny.

the power may be limited, but it is still more power than the English regions have. The English regions, just like Wales, operate under the UK government framework. However, unlike the regions, the Welsh Government does have some room to flex policy at a local level. Yet somehow, despite having more and better amunition in its arsenal than say the South West region, despite operating under the same economic conditions, the South West region has outperformed Wales.

Why has Cardiff and Wales sunk because of the actions of London, but the South West has not? Why has for example, CWL become a laughing stock, with cuntries such as Latvia and Lithuania having better capital city airports, whereas BRS, a regional English airport, powers ahead? How has that happened? Are you saying that the WG, with more powers at their disposal, are actually less effective than say the SWRDA?

It is easy to say WG's remit is limited, but its remit is still more wide ranging than the English regions and WG have failed time and again against those very same regions. Just when will the Welsh population realisde that WG has failed and it is actually taking Wales backwards despite having better tools at its disposal.

c w

I think cardiff has generally been pretty successful at attracting new public sector projects compared to bristol. At least a friend of mine working in bristol complains that everything always goes to cardiff.

fixed for you. Cardiff does not attract better private sector development that is for sure. I'm at Bristol Harbourside once a month and in the past month a the framework for a new six story office block has risen. I believe it is already let. We cannot fill Capital quarter, Callaghan Square, Capital Waterside and so on. Private sector development is stagnating in Cardiff whereas in Bristol, certainly their version of the enterprise zone as well as Harbourside, is powering ahead.

We only really have once in a lifetime Admiral to thank for any city centre level activity. Bristol has developments like that every few years.

to bring this thread back on topic, we have seen some interesting proposals for the other side of the ferry road site which would compliment this proposal very much in terms or architectural style and quality. Most of us appreciate these projects take time at the best of times, so delays due to the economic situation we've had for the past 4/5 years just exacerbates this.

Perhaps Christopher could give us an update regarding this project. I know I'm really keen to find out what is going on.

We will be making a full press announcement in the coming few weeks on the Bayscape project (actually a series of announcements). As previously outlined we were waiting for Q3 indicators before moving the project forward. Generally I am reluctant to say much on this forum. Notes follow (though I am not willing to add detail):

- The project is fully funded via a far eastern structure (this has been in place for some 9 months). Our funders will join us in Cardiff for the formal announcements.
- We have changed contractor (taking advantage of the evolving market) and again annoucements will be forthcoming
- The various conditions in the planning permissions will start to be discharged over the next 5 months
- The project will be delivered in two steps. Step 1 is programmed to commence in April 2013 (once planning conditions have been discharged)
- Apartments in the residential spaces will be offered for sale during 2013
- Our view on timing and the economic cycle remains. As previously stated we feel that by having waited until Q3 / Q4 2012 we are able to combine attractive construction costs with a more steady market and one that will improve (we hope) over the two year build cycle.

As I said, formal press announcements will be forthcoming soon and these will provide more details.

Great news. Thanks for indulging us on this forum. I know we can be a pesky lot at times!

Christopher

thanks for the update, it is appreciated. good things come to those that wait.

Ash
Great news. Thanks for indulging us on this forum. I know we can be a pesky lot at times!

yes indeed but it's flattery - as we are (well surely most of us) great supporters and enthusiastic about this project!! so it's a compliment be it a nagging one! but great news christopher

wow this peninsular, if everything comes off is going to be absolutely superb - and I'm including the BBC in that 'everything'. oh and we'll have wales 1st and 2nd tallest included in it to keep us lot happy

paul cardiffwalesmap
Ash

yes indeed but it's flattery - as we are (well surely most of us) great supporters and enthusiastic about this project!! so it's a compliment be it a nagging one! but great news christopher

wow this peninsular, if everything comes off is going to be absolutely superb - and I'm including the BBC in that 'everything'. oh and we'll have wales 1st and 2nd tallest included in it to keep us lot happy

Yeah, about time we sorted out those upstarts down west !

As everyone else has said, thanks Christopher, really looking forward to hearing the announcement.

I will only believe it when I see it fully built!

Does A Cardiff Wales forum alarm go off in Bayscape HQ when there is a post on this topic?

Last Post September

2nd Nov 09:04 Jantra Posts...
2nd Nov 09:35 Christopher replies??

I wish George Osbourne would take such an interest in some of the moneysaving expert forums

Yeah i think it is possible to have email alerts when someone replies to a thread you have commented on.

Zach
......I will only believe it when I see it fully built!

You and me both! Look back on this thread and count the posts where we've been told, "All set to commence on......."

Bums reserve seats so they say. Well, actual construction (not 'promises') builds!

Aug 30, 2009

- Bayscape planning committee to be mid-Sept

Oct 15, 2009
I am pleased to confirm that Bayscape was approved at yesterday's planning committee meeting

Dec 11, 2009
I can confirm that the agreement with the Hotel operator has now been signed.

Jan 5, 2010
2010 will be an important year for the project!

Feb 8, 2010
Everything is fine guys.

Mar 21, 2010
The pace with the Bayscape scheme will doubtless pick up now

Jul 20, 2010
We will be making an announcement next in early August. All is very much on track.

Nov 4, 2010
All is alive and well.

Jan 7, 2011
All is fine.

Apr 6, 2011
All is still fine.

Jul 23, 2011
Project alive and taking our time on DD and financial structuring.

Oct 2, 2011
We are advancing cautiously

May 17, 2012
The structures are essentially in place

Nov 2, 2012
We will be making a full press announcement in the coming few weeks

Zach
I wish George Osbourne would take such an interest in some of the moneysaving expert forums

Typical penny-pinching Tory who nonetheless has a fetish for vanity projects.

hey christopher when (note the tense) your tower is constructed your first guest at the 26th floor rstaurant needs to be zach - the menu: triple serving of humble pie!!

Nothing wrong with that Zach, seems like Christopher is just making sure the timing is right. Look at the development at the end of west bute street - mothballed. There is no point in building if the market isn't ready to buy.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but we are not really privy to what is going on and as Christopher has other business interests in the area, it's not really good business practice to keep spinning yarns. I think the project is where Christopher says its at, ready to go but just waiting for the right time to deliver. Look at capital quarter, that must be taking up a lot of cash for jr smart. That sort of cash outflow can make or break a project

For interest as the observant will see anyway:

- You will likely see some testing rigs on the Bayscape site over the coming weeks
- Discharge of planning conditions is now proceeding

We do have a start date now defined

Heh Christopher, on this miserable miserable wet tuesday - That's really cheered me up!!! thanks for sharing

paul cardiffwalesmap
.....on this miserable miserable wet tuesday -

Might be the right day/weather to post this. No one will go over there and check!?

Sickofthehype
paul cardiffwalesmap

Might be the right day/weather to post this. No one will go over there and check!?

URBANO/MR APPEASEMENT/SICKOFTHEHYPE or whatever your name is this week - you really are a glass half empty kinda guy aren't you.

There is no need for Christopher to come on here at all. If things had stopped and had no chance of continuing, I'm pretty sure that he would just stop posting. The fact he is does mean this project is still alive and that things appear to be progressing, albeit slowly.

try cheering up a bit, you're becoming worse than Victor Meldrew

Jantra
Sickofthehype
paul cardiffwalesmap

URBANO/MR APPEASEMENT/SICKOFTHEHYPE or whatever your name is this week - you really are a glass half empty kinda guy aren't you.

There is no need for Christopher to come on here at all. If things had stopped and had no chance of continuing, I'm pretty sure that he would just stop posting. The fact he is does mean this project is still alive and that things appear to be progressing, albeit slowly.

try cheering up a bit, you're becoming worse than Victor Meldrew

Jantra,Dandy,Feedback,Zombie Apocalypse or whatever your name is. I am not Urbano (I wish that I was) or Sickofthehype. To be criticized by you of all people,someone who takes negativity to obsessive and sociopathic levels, is priceless. Although being an accountant you wouldn't understand that term as you seem to know the price of everything but the value of nothing. Do one,doughboy. And if those words offend you, TOUGH! You posted on CCMB last week that no-one should feel hurt or offended by words written on an internet forum. So,please,do NE!

As the nearest person we've got as a moderator on this forum I feel at this stage it is essential that I interject to say my piece........ FIGHT!!!

Mr. Appeasement

Jantra,Dandy,Feedback,Zombie Apocalypse or whatever your name is. I am not Urbano (I wish that I was) or Sickofthehype. To be criticized by you of all people,someone who takes negativity to obsessive and sociopathic levels, is priceless. Although being an accountant you wouldn't understand that term as you seem to know the price of everything but the value of nothing. Do one,doughboy. And if those words offend you, TOUGH! You posted on CCMB last week that no-one should feel hurt or offended by words written on an internet forum. So,please,do:ONE!

I am not negative, I am a realist.

why would I be offended by your immature insults? you confuse me with someone who cares. please note that whenever you blether on, not one gram of fuck will be given by me.

hope that clears things up

Excellent news Christopher, and thanks for letting us know.

Jantra
Mr. Appeasement

Jantra,Dandy,Feedback,Zombie Apocalypse or whatever your name is. I am not Urbano (I wish that I was) or Sickofthehype. To be criticized by you of all people,someone who takes negativity to obsessive and sociopathic levels, is priceless. Although being an accountant you wouldn't understand that term as you seem to know the price of everything but the value of nothing. Do one,doughboy. And if those words offend you, TOUGH! You posted on CCMB last week that no-one should feel hurt or offended by words written on an internet forum. So,please,do:ONE!

I am not negative, I am a realist.

why would I be offended by your immature insults? you confuse me with someone who cares. please note that whenever you blether on, not one gram of fuck will be given by me.

hope that clears things up

You really seem to get people's backs up. Can't you just keep it to yourself? I'm sick of seeing an update to a thread that I'm interested in only to find it's you in another cat fight with someone.

I luvs the Bayscape thread I do. It be a constan companion in this every changen wourld.

BillyBobThosnton

You really seem to get people's backs up.

all because I speak my mind. It would appear some are far too sensitive and need to wear metal underwear just in case. It's freedom of speech - either you accept it or you don't.

BillyBobThosnton

Can't you just keep it to yourself?

keep what to myself? I thought this was a forum where opinions are to be discussed and shared. Unless of course they disagree with your world view obviously. The fact is Christopher updates this forum when there is no need for him to do so. Whilst healthy scepticism is fine, a little civility towards him would not go amiss. it is possible to question the likelihood of the problem every getting off the ground in a manner which isn't so negative or so derogatory at the developer.

BillyBobThosnton

I'm sick of seeing an update to a thread that I'm interested in only to find it's you in another cat fight with someone.

simple solution, stop reading.

incidentally, I hardly post on here anymore. Go and have a look at my recent posts and you'll see that they are hardly the arguments you are making out. Others have picked up that mantle - by suggesting otherwise indicates a pavlovian response to my posts. you only have to look at the likes of Mr Ad Hominem who appears to stalk me on this and other forums - it appears obsessive at times.

these forums are meant to be a bit of fun and information sharing. some take it way too seriously. if you really don't like my posts, don't read them.

pip pip

At least there is something happening in this thread which is more than can be said of the 'building site' (I use those words advisedly!?)

Sickofthehype
At least there is something happening in this thread which is more than can be said of the 'building site' (I use those words advisedly!?)

I've just had a nice cup of tea and a welsh cake. Has something been happening here?

If Paul's willing to put a bullshit icon on the threads that you post on but don't add any information then I'll happily ignore them (my icon suggestion would be a handbag). Unfortunately as it is I have to click through and get disappointed.

Jantra

I have not posted on this for ages. I have NEVER posted other than under URBANO.

I do follow the forum. And I've beeen tempted to post on several oocasions, mainly to defend you, in fact. I cannot understand how anyone could conceivably think that strong views robustly expressed could ever be out of place on a forum like this.

URBANO
Jantra

I have not posted on this for ages. I have NEVER posted other than under URBANO.

I do follow the forum. And I've beeen tempted to post on several oocasions, mainly to defend you, in fact. I cannot understand how anyone could conceivably think that strong views robustly expressed could ever be out of place on a forum like this.

good to see you back. I think the confusion with Mr Appeasement was the fact he made reference to a disagreement you and Cambo had a few years ago and it appeared as if he were you. Saying that I did think the writing styles were very different, you were never so crass and always maintained a sense of decorum.

I'm very disappointed , Jantra, that you could ever have confused me with Mr Appeasment. I think Mr Appeasment migth be advised to take out a big hanky, blow on it, then wave it about and announce "Truce in our time".

you are quite correct - and that was my way of apologising

No problem, Jantra. I always enjoy (but don't always agree with )your posts. I think I must be going through a mellow phase.

Cut it out you two,you'll have me crying!

Update follows:

- Final stage site investigation work is ongoing / underway
- Vegetation clearance (across all site areas) will commence now
- Detailed design and discharge of conditions underway with Council Development Control. Massing under current permissions is not significantly altered
- Some residential areas will be available for sale in the next quarter
- Residential will be higher spec than std. Larger apartment, higher ceilings etc.
- Construction programmed to commence in June / July 2013. Willmott Dixon are to construct (a change on previous).
- We are now satisfied on timing re. the economic cycle

I am only prepared to point to information already in the public domain these days given the tone of posters here. The energetic amongst you will no doubt obtain revised drawings and see contractors on site.

That's it.

Christopher
Update follows:

- Final stage site investigation work is ongoing / underway
- Vegetation clearance (across all site areas) will commence now
- Detailed design and discharge of conditions underway with Council Development Control. Massing under current permissions is not significantly altered
- Some residential areas will be available for sale in the next quarter
- Residential will be higher spec than std. Larger apartment, higher ceilings etc.
- Construction programmed to commence in June / July 2013. Willmott Dixon are to construct (a change on previous).
- We are now satisfied on timing re. the economic cycle

I am only prepared to point to information already in the public domain these days given the tone of posters here. The energetic amongst you will no doubt obtain revised drawings and see contractors on site.

That's it.

Thank you so much for the announcement, and for giving us lot something to actually chat about instead of arguing. Good luck with the project, I hope it'll be worth it.

Nice one Christopher!! can't wait for this one!

oh and in cardiff construction terms a commencement date of june/july is tomorrow!!!

also seeing that christopher and team are somewhat more 'in the know' than us lot, to me this suggests that plenty of the much talked about projects in this neck of the woods could well be looking like certainties. Perhaps that peninsular will looking very busy 1yr from now.

Definitely.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM