CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Bayscape

Forgive me but, having regard to what has been previously posted on this thread over some 3½ years, I'll believe it when I see it!

Thanks for keeping us updated, Christopher! This end of town will be a destination and a half when all the plans are realised

Thank you for the update, it's appreciated.

Christopher
The energetic amongst you will no doubt obtain revised drawings and see contractors on site.

Almost sounds like a challenge... anyone found anything!?!?

If this does get built, which I really hope that it will, won't it be Wales' tallest building?

Chris, thanks for the update.

However, I cannot find this information in the public domain (no press release, no information on bayscape or willmott dixon's website etc)... so I am going to sound a note of caution. As you know I've defended the project, but the last few months there have been people "impersonating" others on this forum.. I really hope this isn't the case here, but I am a little worried. So if there is something officially published on this I'd be really interested to see.

Excellent news, thanks Christopher.

Went passed this today and there does seem to be some small signs of life.

Space appears to have been made by removing some of the boats and equipment,

Some small core drilling rigs were on site,

The pavement area around the site had spray paint markings showing the path of the services.

I would hazard a guess, if they are carrying out the the core drilling the foundations are still not designed in detail so we may still be a good few months from actual work but these signs are promising.

Nice one Carlos!! isn't it great having observers spotted around!! I was down by the bayscape site on sunday and nothing in particular was visible, so it looks like we can hope for increasing levels of activity. Certainly won't get carried away at this stage BUT activity on this project is encouraging as in Cardiff/Wales terms this is a very tall and exciting building, oh and we get to knock Swansea off that all important (well to me anyway!! ) tallest in Wales title!! still we're some way of that yet.

Carlos is correct. The rigs on site are taking core samples down 40m deep (the investigations I mentioned previously). We've got a good handle on the geology but clearly need to be 100% sure. Construction is due to start June / July as previously highlighted.

Thanks Christopher, is there any news about development in the area that has caused your scheme to go ahead in June/July or is it just that the time is now right regardless of the other developments in the area?

This was always driven by our view on timing and the economic cycle. The Bayscape scheme is demonstrably different to both Prospect Place and The Greenbank scheme and we believe that we will benefit from both proceeding.

The apartments, when released, will be closely tied to the lifestlye opportunities that the marina offers (if that is desirable for residents) and we feel will be uniquely sheltered in what is a south facing sunny site. The bar / restaurant positioned at the juncture of the Pont-Y-Werin will be a particular attraction our studies suggest. Where else will be south facing, have a large open terrace and be as sheltered? Mermaid Quay has many of these ingredients but can be windy. We think the time is good to go.

This is just fantastic news. I can watch the progress from the oystercatcher I'd love to see a timelapse on this project.

Yes, we all love a good building site live webcam. St Davids had a good one, the canoe slalom as well. Lets hope there will be one (or more) here as well!

Christopher
Carlos is correct. The rigs on site are taking core samples down 40m deep (the investigations I mentioned previously). We've got a good handle on the geology but clearly need to be 100% sure. Construction is due to start June / July as previously highlighted.

You should not find any unexpected results from the boreholes, a few feet of made ground, 40-45 ft of blue clay silts, 5 - 25 feet of sands and gravels before hitting a soft friable marl rock. Not the strongest material to balance a tower upon. There is a lot of publicly available borehole data for the area some going back to 1898 when a dock was proposed for the area. If you find any mammoth bones or arrowheads let us know!

So pleased this is finally going ahead.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Christopher

Can you confirm if the hotel operator remains the same? And will there be a gala dinner for forum members?

Durham Cowboy
Christopher

Can you confirm if the hotel operator remains the same? And will there be a gala dinner for forum members?

gala dinner for some - while he chucks various others from the top!! - oh and will that still be 127metres Christopher!

gala dinner for some - while he chucks various others from the top!! - oh and will that still be 127metres Christopher!

I suppose I will be at the front for the chucking off ceremony!

I await June/July.

I'm gonna stand outside selling parachutes. no drugs involved but everyone at cardiff wales map will be high as a kite

Can i ask Christopher. You said there doing core sample tests on the site to 40 meter's. What depth's will the core go to please?

I mean foundation not core sorry.

That's a question for the engineers (RVW Consulting and Arup). All I know is that Jurrasic Marl can be found around 19 metres below aluvial gravels and the quality is poor. Piling will thus extend well into this layer to ensure adequate friction / holding.

I will provide more information int he coming weeks and before full commencement.

Otherwise boring rigs are almost complete re. SI and vegetation clearance s almost done.

Mark
We have an apartment in Victoria Wharf and are pleased that this project appears to be finally moving forward.

Hi Mark - I knew we'd have someone looking in on this forum living in Victoria wharf!! - cheers for posting
Anyway, yes it's great news, really looking forward to seeing this development in its construction and it's surely going to be a very positive asset to the area!! and at 127metres it's going to be a very respectable height for us in Cardiff (I believe 20metres higher than swansea's meridian quay)

and at 127metres

Are you still so sure it will be at that height?

Just waiting for the C post "Core samples and economic situation not satisfactory, meaning it will now be revised down to 37 metres, also, no hotel and just all flats, whoops I'm mean luxury apartments"

Zach
and at 127metres

Just waiting for the C post "Core samples and economic situation not satisfactory, meaning it will now be revised down to 37 metres, also, no hotel and just all flats, whoops I'm mean luxury apartments"

nice one zach! so you're finding yourself accepting something is gonna get built, but somewhat doubting the grandeur of the project. Which will help your case at the "gala pushing off ceremony"!! heh at 37 metres you may even live if you aim for the ely!!

Zach
and at 127metres

I shouldn't encourage you but

Christopher
That's a question for the engineers (RVW Consulting and Arup). All I know is that Jurrasic Marl can be found around 19 metres below aluvial gravels and the quality is poor. Piling will thus extend well into this layer to ensure adequate friction / holding.

I will provide more information int he coming weeks and before full commencement.

Otherwise boring rigs are almost complete re. SI and vegetation clearance s almost done.

As the Triassic Marl is at least 500 feet thick (borehole Cardiff Gasworks) it is unlikely there is anything better to balance your tower on. So piling and maybe grouting should give you the foundation you need. Unfortunately there is a lack of granite but it is better than London's clays.

Just hope you do not have any trouble with faulting, one may run along the course of the Ely river, or spring water.

Best of luck.

Quite a major set of conditions changes for Bayscape have been submitted including an increase in the number of apartments, commercial space, marina office space, and building heights (of the lower buildings.. not the tower.. calm yourselves!). However, the time limits have also been changed so will be interesting to see what happens.

Proposal: VARIATION OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS OF OUTLINE PERMISSION 08/02191/C TO ALLOW
FOR PHASING IMPLEMENTATION AND OTHER MATTERS WHERE SPECIFIED:
1 (TIME LIMITS AND RESERVED MATTERS)
2 (SOUND INSULATION)
9 (DRAINAGE SCHEME)
13 (RIVERSIDE WALK)
15 (REFUSE STORAGE)
17 (PARKING AND LOADING SCHEME)
26 (DESIGN PARAMETERS - RESIDENTIAL WING A FROM 5 TO 6 STOREYS; HEIGHTS OF
OTHER WINGS VARIES TO ACHIEVE CEILING HEIGHTS)
30 (TEMPORARY PEDESTRIAN LINK)
31 (WIND TUNNEL TESTING)
At: CAMBRIAN MARINA AND ADJOINING LAND,

Proposal: VARIATION OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS OF OUTLINE PERMISSION 08/02191/C TO ALLOW
FOR PHASING IMPLEMENTATION AND OTHER MATTERS WHERE SPECIFIED:
1 (TIME LIMITS AND RESERVED MATTERS)
2 (SOUND INSULATION)
9 (DRAINAGE SCHEME)
13 (RIVERSIDE WALK)
15 (REFUSE STORAGE)
17 (PARKING AND LOADING SCHEME)
25 (AMOUNT OF DEVELOPMENT - 103 UNITS TO 125; RETAIL FOOD AND DRINK FROM 750 SQM
TO 1200 SQM; MARINA MANAGEMENT SUITE FROM 50 SQM TO 200 SQM)
26 (DESIGN PARAMETERS - RESIDENTIAL WING A FROM 5 TO 6 STOREYS; HEIGHTS OF
OTHER WINGS VARIES TO ACHIEVE CEILING HEIGHTS)
30 (TEMPORARY PEDESTRIAN LINK)
31 (WIND TUNNEL TESTING)
At: CAMBRIAN MARINA AND ADJOINING LAND, WATKISS WAY, CARDIFF

I'm taking a look now.

Edit:
So it looks like the big things are:
1) It will now be a two phase development with the residential and commercial space being done first. Reserved matters will be submitted by Sept 2013, and construction must commence by September 2015. I'm guessing prior to then though. The hotel's reserve matters must be submitted by Sept 2015, and construction commenced by Sept 2017.
2) The apartments will be a bit smaller than originally planned, and the height of one block will be increased by 1 storey, all told allowing 22 new apartments.
3) The commercial space will be extended into more of the podium allowign an anchor food store of around 5000 square feet (a large tesco express or "little" waitrose) and a bit more other space.

Exciting times.

Lets hope they all get passed - especially the increase in size of the retail food and drink.

LocalResident
Exciting times.

Lets hope they all get passed - especially the increase in size of the retail food and drink.

That is presumably required for all of the humble pie they'll be serving up.

another two years before it starts - there I was thinking that the start was imminent and it appears we are as far away as ever.

Likewise Jantra - what a dissapointment, also this isn't consistent with postings by christopher on here is it? - still on the bright side one of our slightly more sceptical posters has been given quite a lengthy reprieve!!

All I need now is to find out that the prospect place crane base is an act of photoshop jiggery pokery and I'll be really pi**** off!!

Doesn't the planning app say construction must commence by Sept 2015? Not that they have to wait until Sept 2015. So there is a good possibility that commencement will begin some time prior to that.

Karl is correct. Works will commence this summer as stated.

excellent news - good luck with it

NB 127m is exactly 5000 inches

Thanks Christopher,

And thank you for all your updates (been following for a few years now).

Can you say if the Hotel tower is intended to be started this summer also?

I'm wondering if residential sales could be effected with the knowledge of a 2 year building site overlooking the new apartments with a phased approach.

"All I need now is to find out that the prospect place crane base is an act of photoshop jiggery pokery and I'll be really pi**** off!!"

Oh I wouldnt dare!!!

Is there any news on this project?

sorry could not resist

This thread has 42044 views so far, assume 30 seconds per view.
equivalent to 43 days at 8hrs/day

we could have had a good go at the foundations with this wasted time!

wow what a week - great stuff!! what's happening!!!

oh dear

However I think we know where we are on this one ie. Apartment build starting this summer and the tower (which is of course the bit that we're waiting for!! well I know I am) something like 2015 ish - Maybe that's approximately when all the higher rise parts of the sports village will be kicking off.

Blimey Zach - you'll be and old man before the ceremonial chucking of you, off the top!!

I think I'd heard that apartment sizes were being reduced: effectively, the premium for the larger apartments wasn't enough to offset the reduction in the number of apartments. I think this means an emphasis on the owner-occupier is also being lost.

Shame about the delay to the hotel. I'm a little surprised given the agreement that Bayscape ltd signed with Wyndham International. Does this mean Wyndham have been tempted elsewhere - perhaps the mooted luxury hotel in the ISV site itself? Or does it just mean the deal wasn't fully done and they've walked?

Does anyone know how tall it is? I've looked at many websites and they all have different numbers!!!

Looks like the council planning committee today passed the changes, allowing a 2 phased approach for Bayscape. Hopefully more news will follow shortly.

Slightly odd articles. The Bayscape apartments will be much bigger than anything yet built in Cardiff and of higher spec. Ceilings will be 20cms higher than the standard too. All we have done is reduced the size of a number of inefficient one bed apartments.

Although great news, can't pretend I'm not slightly disappointed that the high-rise building is yet again on the back-burner until some distant future "phase two".

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM