CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author
Comment
Re: Roath Basin

Simon_SW11
The incinerator isn't being built by Roath Dock!!

It's massive, you might have noticed it by now if it was.

Depends what you mean as by Roath Dock. The site is no more than 300 metres from the dock.

Well I certainly wouldn't have called it Roath Dock, yet when I looked on Google maps I can see exactly why you have!

Shows my ignorance about the names of the docks that I've been living next to for over a decade because I thought that that one was Queen Alexandra dock! Wrong again

Ah yes, Roath Basin is the one by the BBC

Wizard
Well I certainly wouldn't have called it Roath Dock, yet when I looked on Google maps I can see exactly why you have!

Shows my ignorance about the names of the docks that I've been living next to for over a decade because I thought that that one was Queen Alexandra dock! Wrong again

Yes, it's a bit confusing. "Roath Basin" is the smaller stretch of water now no longer designated industrialised land, being developed around. "Roath Dock" is the larger stretch of water, still in the industrial area, further inland from Queen Alexandra Dock, that connects those two bodies of water to each other. Without the lock gates at Roath Basin (the original Roath Lock), vessels can only access Roath Basin via Queen Alexandra Dock and then Roath Dock. The incinerator building is right by Roath Dock though. The confusion isn't helped by the fact that there's no public access around there, even though the roundabout at the end of the A4232 link road, seems to have been planned to once access Roath Dock Road (you can still see the roadsigns in the overgrwon part). The fact that you can't access this area, and have to drive all the way around via the lanes off Ocean Way, may lead you to incorrectly believe you're not as close to Roath Dock as you are.

Last view from this vantage point as i have bought a new place and moved out

P9150625

There is an application for a temp car park and infrastructure works for Roath Basin. Some good news and some not so positive information in the application.

The good news is that some of the infrastructure works particularly the walkway/cycleway around Roath Basin will be carried out a few years ahead of schedule and to the same quality as the current public realm (which I think is really good).

However the application does mention that letting of the building currently under construction has been hampered by a lack of parking nearby (hence the application) and that there has been a drop off in the number of people attending the Dr Who and World of Boats attractions. This is again blamed on lack of car parking. I hope this doesn't mean that Media Centre is struggling to attract tenants. I remember just a few years ago there was talk of building two buildings at the same time because the interest was so strong (as well as a 3 star hotel).

Karl
There is an application for a temp car park and infrastructure works for Roath Basin. Some good news and some not so positive information in the application.

The good news is that some of the infrastructure works particularly the walkway/cycleway around Roath Basin will be carried out a few years ahead of schedule and to the same quality as the current public realm (which I think is really good).

However the application does mention that letting of the building currently under construction has been hampered by a lack of parking nearby (hence the application) and that there has been a drop off in the number of people attending the Dr Who and World of Boats attractions. This is again blamed on lack of car parking. I hope this doesn't mean that Media Centre is struggling to attract tenants. I remember just a few years ago there was talk of building two buildings at the same time because the interest was so strong (as well as a 3 star hotel).

That's a bit odd blaming parking.

Considering that the Doctor Who Experience and World of Boats have never had any parking nearby, why would that be a factor at all if there's been a drop off in the number of people attending? Especially when you consider that these venues are presumably primarily attended by tourists, anyway.

Surely this would be more to do with the general cloud of austerity hanging over the nation?

I suppose as far as the Media building goes you could argue that the public transport infrastructure is not there yet and if a little increased temporary parking means that the centre is a success and builds momentum its a price worth paying. The alarm bells do ring a little bit though. I was hopeful that this building would be somewhere close to fully let before it was completed.

As for the Dr Who centre I do agree its a little odd. The application makes reference to the nearest car parks (to Porth Teigr) being 965m and 800m away and this puts people off especially in inclement weather. I don't think people who visit Dr Who (especially those who have come from away) do it on the spur of the moment. Walking a bit - even if it's raining - is not going to put those people off I would suggest. Maybe it's the marketing, maybe the prices or perhaps the fact that Cardiff doesn't attract as many visitors as London (where the exhibition was before) has led to what seems to be disappointing numbers.

They'll come up with any excuses!

The blighters re-routed the no 6 bus so that it totally cut out the bus stops serving the residential developments on Pierhead St to go directly outside Porth Teigr - incidentally this made me abandon Cardiff Bus altogether and get a bicycle instead.

I would say that public transport provision to the Dr Who centre is second to none by Cardiff's standards.

P9290686

i got some pics of the media centre was going to add them, but i can't drag and drop them here. So how do i add pics here please?

You could try going to http://postimage.org/

Uploading them for free, and without registration, and then copy and pasting the links.

two pictures of the media centre.

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

%%bbCodeItem_2%%

Great photos. Construction is coming on nicely, though I do wonder why in the second shot, it looks like the windows have been bricked up.

The aren't bring back the window tax, are they?

Its great to see the building comming on, thanks for the pix, cant help but feel a bit underwhelmed by the style and finish on it though.....maybe it will look a bit better without the scaffolding...but not exactly in the stylee of Media UK....

MediaCityUK cost £200m, this is costing £6m. There was never going to be any comparison. It looks smart enough, but I think it's a shame they didn't stick with black brick as per the original renders. It always makes otherwise simple buildings look far more striking. This unfortunately wouldn't look out of place on an out of town business park, which is a bit disappointing given the location.

I think you are being quite harsh on the building, the main attractions of it are the front and rear elevations and not the sides which from the current plans will be hidden by buildings either side of it. For the money i think it fits well with the BBC studios, and is a fairly stiking building more akin to a waterfront warehouse than an out of town business park office. Media citys £200 million was for the whole development, not one building, i also dont think most people think its that great a development bar 1 or 2 buildings.

Media city's buildings are of a better quality and design though. Some think we are going to end up with a similar end product because we have similar square footage. People seem to forget media city is the result of the BBC moving their London operation north. Cardiffs offering will have no such driver

Jantra
Media city's buildings are of a better quality and design though. Some think we are going to end up with a similar end product because we have similar square footage. People seem to forget media city is the result of the BBC moving their London operation north. Cardiffs offering will have no such driver

Surely you mean they moved parts of their London operation north - just as they moved much of their network drama production to Cardiff. If you look at the BBC's management structure you'll see that the new BBC North has the same status as the existing operations in Wales, Scotland and NI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/managementstructure/bbcstructure/management_board.html

I think you're probably right though that the Cardiff buildings won't be "statement buildings". These are different times from the era when Salford and New Broadcasting House were conceived and the BBC will want to be seen to be using public money wisely and prudently.

Anyway, this is one little building that's nothing to do with the BBC. Also, we're don't actually know that BBC Wales are moving their HQ to Porth Teiger yet, do we?

And the square footage being bandied about was compared to BBC North regional HQ wasn't it, rather than the whole of Media City which includes a lot of core BBC functions.

In summary, two completely different things.

Also, Media City's really a bit rubbish, architecturally speaking.

When will the BBC make an announcement? If I had my way i would like to them to build a statement building over the two empty plots on assembly square. Close to the government, close to the studios, close to the wmc and close to the road and rail network.

As an aside I think assembly square is architecturally very interesting

Cardiff
[re MediaCity] i also dont think most people think its that great a development bar 1 or 2 buildings.

The problem for me is that much the same can be said about Cardiff Bay. I had hoped that Roath Basin might be of a higher quality, bridging the gap between the pervasive anodyne mediocrity and the landmark 'jewels' dotted in between. Like I said, this building is smart enough, but to me it is very underwhelming and 'anywhere' architecture. I've seen much more created in the way of originality and distinctiveness with much less money. The Roath Lock studios are pretty good considering what they are (sheds), but the Doctor Who centre next door (which I thought was temporary but increasingly looks likely to be a permanent feature) is just awful. All in all it just gives the impression of the area developing much like the rest of the bay; overly piecemeal, and with too much emphasis on getting things up and not enough on design or creating a sense of place that will endure long after the branded hoardings have come down.

Jantra

As an aside I think assembly square is architecturally very interesting

Agreed, I love number 3 and the Senedd, just hope someone soon does something with the remaining plots.

I'll be really happy if the BBC take this site or Roath Basin. Part of me hopes they take Assembly Square and this leaves Roath Basin for other Media related developments as I can't see it happening the other way around. The Cardiff Waterside developers have been slow in developing over the years and I'd be suprised if they build any other speculative schemes any time soon if the BBC go for Roath Basin or any other site, particularly with all the offices proposed for the city centre. Also, if BBC Wales go for any other sites then I think any hopes of some sort of media cluster have been lost. It really would be a shame. To have ITV Wales, BBC Drama, the media centre, plus BBC Wales and potentially a sub-let from them to S4C in the same part of the city would be very good.

Not sure where else to put this...

Between the new bridge and the dr who expo seems to be some building work at the waters edge. Does anyone know what is happening here?

Jantra

Between the new bridge and the dr who expo seems to be some building work at the waters edge. Does anyone know what is happening here?

I seem to recall there are plans for an artificial beach, a model boating pool and a few small fun-fair style rides for children. It could be that. I think its a fairly short-term thing to better link the DWE & WOB attractions with the rest of the inner harbour.

Jantra

Its going to be a car park for the dr. Who build. Plus tidying up around the dock to make safe to allow people to walk around.

Incidentally South Wales has been updated to this summer/spring with the media building visable and admiral HQ.

A picture of the media centre today. Not very inspiring really. I prefer the miner!

I'm curious how quickly this building will fill up. From what I can remember there was talk of lots of interest and talk of a second building. Has anyone got any news on either ?

No Fishing
No Swimming
No Funky new building
No Interesting sculptures
No News on tenants for the media centre in question !

DIM PYSGOTA
What a pointless Language!

PSY GOTA YOUTUBE HIT 4SURE

Zach
DIM PYSGOTA

Well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWZluzBNxM

Zach you idiot. I'm not a Welsh speaker, Cardiff born, and a comment like that should be banned on the forum. No need for that....

Zach
DIM PYSGOTA

There we are then.

Nice set of pine trees being planted next to the Dr Who exhibition (for those who are into trees). That there area around the BBC has the best landscaping of any new project in Cardiff by miles.

Zach
DIM PYSGOTA

A dy bwynt yw? Pwynt unryw iaith yw cyfathrebu. Dy broblem di yw hi os nad wyt yn gallu ei deall. Ydy Ffrangeg, Almaeneg a Lladin yn ddi-bwrbas oherwydd dy fod ti'n bersonol yn methu eu deall?

The point being - if you spoke Welsh you'd understand that!

Ash
Zach
DIM PYSGOTA

A dy bwynt yw? Pwynt unryw iaith yw cyfathrebu. Dy broblem di yw hi os nad wyt yn gallu ei deall. Ydy Ffrangeg, Almaeneg a Lladin yn ddi-bwrbas oherwydd dy fod ti'n bersonol yn methu eu deall?

*Claps at your ingenuity*

Ash
Zach
DIM PYSGOTA

I could understand it. For all you Welsh speakers, you are all welcome to holiday here - the only other place on Earth where we can understand Welsh!

Do try and visit us at Y Wladfa Gymreig.

Ash
Zach
DIM PYSGOTA

And your point is ?

Surely the point is that very few actually understand it and all that do also speak English.

Surely this sign is a waste of taxpayers money. Perhaps we should have a referendum of how many people in Wales wish to spend money on the Welsh language or would we prefer money to be spent on hospitals and schools.

A few weeks ago was holidaying on Rhodes and found a Greek waiter who could speak Welsh, pronouciation was spot on, so he hooked my wife and myself as customers plus two German woman, who had just shared a taxi with a Welsh couple, and are from the city twinned with Swansea. They knew and also recognised a little Welsh having visited Wales.

The parable is you never know when something will be useful, it certainly worked for that waiter. The Welsh language was also something the two German woman liked and enjoyed about Wales.

To be fair the waiter could also speak English, French, Italian, German and Russian at least and could hold conversations in each.

Carlos
Surely the point is that very few actually understand it and all that do also speak English.

Surely this sign is a waste of taxpayers money. Perhaps we should have a referendum of how many people in Wales wish to spend money on the Welsh language or would we prefer money to be spent on hospitals and schools.
a

I can't see how a sign in two languages can cost that much extra. not only that it makes Wales a different place from England. I agree that having bilingual state literature in RCT and Gwynedd (or even Cardiganshire) is probably a waste of time, but having signs in two languages like this isn't going to break the bank. it also allows people who are rubbish at languages (me) to subconsciously understand a bit of the language.

I just want to know why stupid people from Tenby aren't allowed in Cardiff Bay?

Carlos

I can't claim to be a signage expert, but I'm fairly confident that the cost of them is not directly related to how many words they contain.

I'm also old enough to remember the 80s, when people still thought it was a good idea to put up monolingual English signs. These actually tended to work out much more expensive, as my wife's mates would quickly destroy them with indelible paint.

Your wife's mates are really big and clever!

Fy mhwynt yw bod eisoes yn Gymraeg yn iaith farw, os nad yw wedi marw.

Mae'r arwyddion Cymraeg yn cael ei wneud am resymau gwleidyddol, yn hytrach na rhesymau cyfathrebu.

Onid google cyfieithu wych!

*************under new forum rules all communication must be bilingual**************
*****o dan y rheolau fforwm newydd mae'n rhaid i holl sylwadau fod yn ddwyieithog*****

My point is that Welsh is already dead, if not dead.

The Welsh signs are being made for political reasons, rather than reasons of communication.

Is not google translation great!

Zach

My point is that Welsh is already dead, if not dead.

It seems to me, Zach, that you need to learn to use English correctly before you criticise other people for using their native language.

Can we move this Welsh language debate into its own thread so I can ignore it and read about development at Roath Lock?

It seems to me, Zach, that you need to learn to use English correctly before you criticise other people for using their native language.

Google translate did this, honest! English to Welsh and back to English again.

PS Why do Nationalists never seem to have a sense of humour when one makes a joke about language?

The original post was a joke after all.

This sums it up:

''Welsh is certainly NOT dead but if they did stop doing signs in both Welsh and English it wouldnt take long for people to forget they are in wales, its a political reason for sure but theres nothing wrong in that, the fact is, there IS a welsh lanuage and well over 20% of people speak it fluently and a large percentage of people speak a little so the signs HAVE to be in both languages..Porth Teigr is obviously welsh and it makes it quite distinctive because of it...''

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM