CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
N.I.M.B.Y

I thought it might be fun to start a thread logging "Not In My Back Yard" objections to planning applications with extra points awarded for empty threats to move and spurious wildlife claims.

A classic of the type is this one.

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/05/19/residents-vow-to-move-if-wakeboard-park-go-ahead/

This "news" story is about the plans for a water-ski circuit on the Bute East Dock. It's a sensible and modest scheme to bring a redundant piece of water into use - or at least that's what the Residents' Association seems to think.

“Atlantic Wharf Residents’ Association welcomes potential new uses for the dock provided they take account of local issues such as parking, noise and the natural environment. The association recognises that individual residents may have their own views on these matters."

Of course you only get to read the balanced view of the Residents' Association after wading through the hysterical blather of some of the 'individual residents'!

First up, we have Mr Andrew Riste, 28.

“When I purchased my apartment I did not expect there to be a water ski park going on in my front garden. If I had known I probably wouldn’t have bought it.”

Quite so, Mr. Riste. I too would be concerned at the damage water-skiers could cause to my lawn and rose-bushes.

However I believe I'm right in saying that water-sking has to take place on water. There's a clue in the name.

Is the dock really your 'front garden'? I presume you have the deeds to prove your ownership rights?

But Mr. Riste has other concerns.

"He and other residents had recently spotted a pair of otters in the area, which only come out at night.He feared the creatures would be driven away by the new facility.James Byrne, conservation manager at Wildlife Trust Wales, said he had received a report from an Atlantic Wharf resident about an otter sighting. He confirmed BBC’s Springwatch programme was potentially interested in capturing the rare urban otters on camera, but the Trust had yet to confirm their existence."

Now, here I give Mr. Riste some credit. "urban otters" at least have the virtue of originality. Not for Mr Riste an imaginary slow worm or great crested newt!

Unfortunately Mr Riste doesn't seem to have thought things through. As he states, these gangzta otters only come out at night. How then would they be disturbed by daytime water-skiers?

Mr Riste also seems to have missed out on the fact the otters are used as a primary measure of the cleanliness of river systems. This is for two reasons. Firstly, they only survive in the cleanest possible conditions and secondly, they're very easy to detect by their droppings.

If by some miracle Mr Riste's urban otter collective did exist in the murky waters of the docks feeder and East Dock he would have little difficulty in proving it.

Mr Riste isn't alone. A least one, or maybe only one, other resident supports him.

Michael Bates, 53, who has lived in Atlantic Wharf for six years, said: “It seems an odd location. I could agree with in the Bay, but we are on the outside. I will sell up and move to the Vale if it is too intrusive.”

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the essence of nimbyism. It would be all right somewhere else. Next to someone else's appartment. In someone else's 'front garden'. In someone else's back yard - just not in mine.

Re: N.I.M.B.Y

i own several properties in the bay and am reserving judgement on this one, and have asked for further details. parking needs more info as does the noise of the proposal, laos the visuals need to be worked up more.
i'm generally ok with it, but to date i'd say most residents are not, be suprised if it gets much further. have to say i would have expected it over by the other water features in the bay

How strange. The ONLY UK centre for otter research is Cardiff University:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/wildlife/110740.aspx
What have they to say about these otters, I wonder?

The proposal is interesting and certainly would add to the 'Bay Experience'. As a quasi sporadic keen watersports enthusiast I would like to see facilities like this open. Llanishen Reservoir would have been perfect!

I do recognise that it is perfectly acceptable for residents to object to this though. I do think this is not full on Nimbyism From a certain point of view, had they wanted an 'active waterfront' dwelling I dare say they would have purchased a Bayside/Beach apartment.

Ash

Now, here I give Mr. Riste some credit. "urban otters" at least have the virtue of originality. Not for Mr Riste an imaginary slow worm or great crested newt!

Otters have become common throughout Wales in the last decade or so, the Taff has had a population for quite a while and given their nomadic nature there's no surprise that they should be seen from time to time feeding around the Bay and adjoining water courses.

This new breed of otter are mainly from stock raised by otter trusts who breed them for release into the wild, they are far more tolerant to human disturbance and are regularly seen during daylight unlike the truly wild beast that were almost exclusively nocturnal and rarely seen.

Seeing an otter anywhere in Wales these days is no big deal.

In my limited experience, the type of people who suddenly take an interest in otters (as an excuse for opposing a development) are invariably the same type of people who would be trying to get them exterminated if they were caught trying to get in their bins

Mr Riste is a bit too like Mr Piste to avoid comment. There isn't an element of wind up in there by any chance?

Rhodri
The proposal is interesting and certainly would add to the 'Bay Experience'. As a quasi sporadic keen watersports enthusiast I would like to see facilities like this open. Llanishen Reservoir would have been perfect!

I do recognise that it is perfectly acceptable for residents to object to this though. I do think this is not full on Nimbyism From a certain point of view, had they wanted an 'active waterfront' dwelling I dare say they would have purchased a Bayside/Beach apartment.

I could understand their complaints if there were going to be lots of motorboats blasting up and down towing water skiers. But as far as I can tell it'll use some sort of electric winch arrangement, which isn't going to be that noisy.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM