CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drunks everywhere and it's not even a match day!

Is it just me or does Cardiff seem to be increasingly blighted by groups of drunk, down and outs all day during the week. I work just off the hayes and everyday during my lunch I see groups of people drinking cans of Carling or Strongbow and shouting at the top of their voices to one another, much to the shock of the tourists or middleaged couples out for a nice stroll. The lovely St. Johns gardens seem to be a hot spot at the moment. Only the other day I witnessed two drunks screaming and punching/kicking the little pavillion in the middle. I saw a group of at least 12 people arguing on st marys street yesterday, all drinking cans of lager. Last friday a very aggressive man, again with beer in hand was banging on the window and shouting abuse at a girl working in House of Frasier! This is just a snapshot over a few lunchtimes. This problem seems to be getting worse and the visible presence of police is non existance in my view. Does Cardiff not have a ban on drinking in public?

Has anyne else noticed this? my work collegues have all mentioned the same thing over the last few weeks.

Re: Drunks everywhere and it's not even a match day!

... By the way, sorry if this post is well trodden ground.

Cecil
The lovely St. Johns gardens seem to be a hot spot at the moment. Only the other day I witnessed two drunks screaming and punching/kicking the little pavillion in the middle.

that'll be the AMs up town for their weekly shopping trip

No worse than anywhere else really, but I agree. It really annoys me that this kind of thing isn't stamped out more. It's unacceptable, plain and simple. That said, I very rarely see any of what you've said.

Hopefully things will get better with the new Huggard centre thing, which I think is designed to try and keep more people on site.

The lovely St. Johns gardens seem to be a hot spot at the moment.

St Johns gardens has always been a bit of a meeting ground for drunks, junkies and the homeless of the city. The train stations and also Bute Park you get a fair number of Cardiff's 'underclasses'.

Dunno if it's any worse than before though, it might do in 5 years maybe.

Binge drinking seems to be deeply ingrained within British culture these days. Whilst I wouldn't say that Cardiff is worse than other cities, you do see a lot of the sort these days.

I've seen people fighting in the street, drinking, and kids threatening to fuck each other up. The worst I've was some guy selling meth to somebody, and if rumor is true, you can buy a gun outside of one of the police stations.

Be thankful that we don't have mass riots on a regular occasion, Philadelphia's gang wars, Los Angeles' endemic child prostitution, or Chicago's murder rate.

I saw an elderly homeless man in wyndham arcade once. He was banging plastic boxes on his head so hard they were cutting his head and he was sitting on a stack of them. What sickened me most was a man and 2 lady's bought a box off of him and were laughing when he banged a box on his head. Anyway i was working at the time and when i came back later there was an ambulance on st mary's street so i walked into wyndham arcade and the man was there in a pool of blood no boxes it was really sad and very sickning.

I work in St Davids shopping centre, I finish work around 2am Tuesday through to Saturday and from what I've seen it's getting worse. There are junkies running havoc in and around the city centre, it's really off putting to consider walking into town. But then it get's worse, I live in Century Wharf and I have to walk/cycle down Dumballs road at around 2am as well. Let me tell you, the new homeless shelter has made the area even worse, there's rubbish everywhere, people fighting, having sex on the pavement. It's terrible, there's no way Callaghan Square is going grow with such a horrible place right on their doorstep! Whoever approved the application for a homeless shelter right in the middle of Cardiff's 'development' centre is just stupid!

I know you all must think I'm some snobby person, but I'm not! I'm a normal 23yr old and seeing junkies having sex or being fingered in broad daylight, is just disgusting!

James

Hopefully things will get better with the new Huggard centre thing, which I think is designed to try and keep more people on site.

I'd say that it is the Huggard centre that has contributed to a significant increase in scumbags in the city centre. Could we not have build it on flat holm island?

Good idea! Flat Holm even has an old leper hospital that I'm sure we could use.

Can anyone explain what the Huggard Centre is?

Soon the rain and cold will be back. That will have an impact on visibility.

TheLordcrow

......Be thankful that we don't have mass riots on a regular occasion, Philadelphia's gang wars, Los Angeles' endemic child prostitution, or Chicago's murder rate.

.....or North Korea's nuclear brinksmanship!

I've been approached by homeless people on two occasions, both times asking for money to stay in shelters. I gave them both like five pounds, now if they actually spent it on accommodation, that would surprise me.

I saw a homeless guy on the street outside of the Tesco's on Albany Road, was going to offer him the homemade cakes I had in my bag, only to find myself putting them away when he lunged at passersby.

TheLordcrow

Rather than sneer at people less fortunate than yourself, you could use a search engine.

http://www.huggard.org.uk/

Seriously, you need to look at yourself. Wow!! You've been approached by beggars a whole TWICE and have given them a huge FIVE POUNDS not once, but TWICE - because that's the sort of guy you are.

You would have done the full Marie Antoinette and offered "them" cake but "they" LUNGED at someone.

Judge lest you not be judged. There's a thing called empathy.

Tell me, do you spend every bit of your free time at a homeless centre? Or do you give out your cash to the less fortunate as soon as you get paid? If you do, then I would colour myself astounded, and would very much like to know how you could pay for an internet connection.

Yes, I gave them money for shelter, and if they spent it on something else, then I don't really mind. Why only five pounds? Maybe because that was as much as I could spare at the present time. If I could have given more, I would.

I went to help the man, but the way that he was swearing, shouting, and being aggressive to the people on the street made me think otherwise. I'm sure that he was a lovely fellow, and maybe I should have given them to him, but what's done is done.

If I'm approached by a homeless man or woman, I try to do something. I don't just simply ignore them like most people do. If I can spare it, I give them money, if I can't, then I can't.

Also, get your facts straight, there is no credible evidence to suggest that Marie Antoinette ever said those words. When the book that had that phrase in it came out, she wasn't even born, and the thing only ever referenced "a little princess" as saying it, so it could very well have been one of the other dozen-or-so Austrian/French princess.

Ash
TheLordcrow

Rather than sneer at people less fortunate than yourself, you could use a search engine.

http://www.huggard.org.uk/

Seriously, you need to look at yourself. Wow!! You've been approached by beggars a whole TWICE and have given them a huge FIVE POUNDS not once, but TWICE - because that's the sort of guy you are.

You would have done the full Marie Antoinette and offered "them" cake but "they" LUNGED at someone.

Judge lest you not be judged. There's a thing called empathy.

Sounds like we have a volunteer to take these undesirables in - I hope you live in Caerau the further out this lot live the better.

TheLordcrow
When the book that had that phrase in it came out, she wasn't even born, and the thing only ever referenced "a little princess" as saying it, so it could very well have been one of the other dozen-or-so Austrian/French princess.

Could you translate that into English?

I'm sorry if peeps don't agree, but i won't give the homeless money. I feel a large % of homeless have addictions and any money given is just feeding there addiction and maybe a dealers pocket. Feeding an addiction may even make it harder to get clean.
Sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind.

Ash
TheLordcrow
When the book that had that phrase in it came out, she wasn't even born, and the thing only ever referenced "a little princess" as saying it, so it could very well have been one of the other dozen-or-so Austrian/French princess.

Could you translate that into English?

marie antoinette didn't say 'let them eat cake', someone else did

You don't have to pay for hostels in Cardiff they are run through the Gateway project and are all free. You can also eat in many locations in Cardiff for free.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM