CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fish and Chips

Is anyone else rather disappointed at the poor quality fish and chips available in Cardiff? Someone asked me recently for a good quality local and I was rather stumped. The best I coul suggest was the Albany. The two or three nearest me are unbelieveably bad. I walked past a place called Younger's on Caerphilly Rd a couple of days ago that looked pretty plush, christ they even had Monkfish! There's also used to be Victoria in Whitchurch (still going?). But you shouldn't have to travel miles around town for a decent chippy!

Re: Fish and Chips

Dorothy's on chippy lane is always a good shout!

Harry Ramsdens has never let me down, only negative is you cant park next to it to collect (legally anyway), still not a long walk for me.

I guess it depends on tastes but i know 4 or 5 chippy's in cardiff i like. Only thing i struggle to find is a good kabab house most are like eating pure fat and after my last kabab i said i would never buy a kabab in cardiff again.

Jefferson
I guess it depends on tastes but i know 4 or 5 chippy's in cardiff i like. Only thing i struggle to find is a good kabab house most are like eating pure fat and after my last kabab i said i would never buy a kabab in cardiff again.

Get yourself down to Lilo's on City Road

Best fish and chips?

This plaice!

http://www.cardiffbayfishbar.com/

plassey street fish bar in Penarth

Second vote for Plassey Fish Bar.

Would sir like lemon on their Fish? Yes please, I do live in Penarth you know!

I'll second the Cardiff Bay Fish Bar as good and, if possible, over-generous of portion. Though I wish I could find somewhere here that does rock salmon (or huss) rather than cod or haddock or generic "fish".

Lucky
....I wish I could find somewhere here that does rock salmon (or huss) rather than cod or haddock or generic "fish".

Funny that. When I lived in Sussex, every chip shop did Huss. I used to yearn for cod or hake. We're never satisfied, are we?

I have fond memories of the XL chip shop in Crwys Road and the Devonia in Whitchurch Road!! Ahhh happy days!!

CF23
Jefferson

Get yourself down to Lilo's on City Road

TY CF23 i will give them a try

des - penarth
I have fond memories of the XL chip shop in Crwys Road and the Devonia in Whitchurch Road!! Ahhh happy days!!

Is the Devonia still going? It seemed unchanged over 50 years. Although there is thread on urban 75.net with some fishy jokes suggesting they were giving out BNP leaflets!

Top Gun in Whitchurch is a good chippy. Youngers in Birchgrove is excellent. I'd also vote for Penylan Fish Bar in Colchester Avenue.

As for kebab shops there are a few on City Road - KB's Lilo, Troy to name three. As long as you stick to shish rather than doner. KB's cook the naan and the chicken in the tandoor which is a nice touch.

Jeremy
des - penarth

Is the Devonia still going? It seemed unchanged over 50 years. Although there is thread on urban 75.net with some fishy jokes suggesting they were giving out BNP leaflets!

Jeremy

is that the old raver/CCFC fan website with alternative views on just about everything? If it is i didn't realise it was still going

Ash
Best fish and chips?

This plaice!

http://www.cardiffbayfishbar.com/

Must be visiting a different place because Cardiff Bay Fish Bar is crap!

Another vote for Top Gun in Whitchurch. The chips can be a bit variable, but the cod is always terrific.

Looks like Top Gun Chippy are opening a branch in Mermaid Quay according to recent planning applications (in the unit currently occupied by Divine).

Get to Zero plus at the top end of Cowbridge Road East.

It's won Best Chippie a few times and even Cheggers has been there to give them an award.

Thank me later.

Brilliant if there's a new chippy down the Bay. I couldn't believe it when both the existing ones closed down within weeks of each other. My lazy Friday evenings will be complete again.

A fish called Rhonnda in the Valleys was good tucker... When I use to live in Grangetown in the early noughties there was a chippy on Penarth Road that bought fish direct of fishermen and they were something else.. Actually it's always worth and ask especially on a Friday if they got a fresh catch

John's on Broadway (Roath) was always good. No idea about now.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM