CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Impressive places in Cardiff

Seeing Paul's picture today of the Hilton made me think of starting a new post about great places in Cardiff that impress visitors. Indeed,the view outside the Hilton must be one of the most impressive places in town (and indeed the country?). Where else can you get classic limestone buildings, a mediaeval castle and a modern tower block (capital tower) all in one place surrounding green spaces with trees and an impressive boulevard de Nantes? Makes me proud to come from Cardiff

Re: Impressive places in Cardiff

The bay (some parts)
Penarth esplinade

Used to be good up the Wenallt (during daylight hours!) there was a spot with great views over the whole of Cardiff, unfortunately this has now overgrown and trees block the view completely.

This might sound odd, but the drive along the dual carriageway down from Culverhouse Cross via the Grangetown Link. You've got the escarpment on one side as the road bends, then you get a sight of City Hall (and the Wentloog wind turbine), then as the road bends again you see the city "skyline" including the first glimpse of the Millenium Stadium. You get the Ely river on your right and for a brief moment you can see the old bridge. Then the flyover bends around, you've got Llandough and Penarth head to the right, the city centre to the left and the variety of the bay in front of you. A few more skyscrapers to augment the view would be nice though...

Barden
This might sound odd, but the drive along the dual carriageway down from Culverhouse Cross via the Grangetown Link. You've got the escarpment on one side as the road bends, then you get a sight of City Hall (and the Wentloog wind turbine), then as the road bends again you see the city "skyline" including the first glimpse of the Millenium Stadium. You get the Ely river on your right and for a brief moment you can see the old bridge. Then the flyover bends around, you've got Llandough and Penarth head to the right, the city centre to the left and the variety of the bay in front of you. A few more skyscrapers to augment the view would be nice though...

thats a very nice vista as you 'turn the corner'. i always wondered where that wind turbine was, didn't realise it was as far away as Wentloog. I am surprised. thanks for that.

Jantra
Barden

thats a very nice vista as you 'turn the corner'. i always wondered where that wind turbine was, didn't realise it was as far away as Wentloog. I am surprised. thanks for that.

I don't think it's odd at all - When I brought a French colleague over (from France!) it wasnt as much as what he said but the expression on his face and the whaooo noise that came out of his mouth !

KEVIN
Jantra
Barden

I don't think it's odd at all - When I brought a French colleague over (from France!) it wasnt as much as what he said but the expression on his face and the whaooo noise that came out of his mouth !

maybe i've misunderstood your post but i'm not sure I said it was odd

Barden
This might sound odd, but

You didn't!

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM