CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author
Comment
Re: Admiral HQ progress photos

nyone know what floor the core is up to please?

I would say 9 - so 3 to go. I've just updated on my developments page where I'm posting updates every coupla days - (I'll follow the progress of any new build over 150ish feet - now in some cities that would be a full time job but not so in our fair city! - although that could change if ISV - Callaghan Square and hotel at Cap Qtr get going!!)

http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com/CardiffDevelopments.htm

Are nice 1 paul i forget this is more then a forum. Nice pick of the core with 9 clear level's and i think 1 behind the core box. Very fast core construction my guess is this is slipform not jumpform right? Anyway i'd love to see the core keep rising to say twice it's current height but it's nice just to see construction. Still if Bayscape really does break ground this year we got alot going on

Admiral site is looking good.

Off topic but very close to admiral, what is happening to the rapport site? surely needs to be sorted out next. And what is happening with the empty site near the chapel bar?

These two sites despately need somthing built just to finish that part of town off for the time being. Until the cia, job centre are revamped.

nothing is happening to either right now. There were plans for a youth hostel next to the chapel and flats/offices on Rapports, but those were both way back.

Noticed at the site today a significant amount of steel, looks like the 'meccano' phase is about to begin - perhaps not the technical term but you get my drift!! We could have a significant skeleton of a building not far away. I guess we'll get a real feel for the overall size of this development then, and within this compact area I reckon it's gonna feel pretty substantial. I wonder if it's presence may somehow spark interest in those two other areas mentioned?

Core now just visible from the Bay... and the view from the upper floors of County Hall suggests that it'll be about the same height as Helmont House if there's still a couple more floors to go!

That's pretty big for Cardiff.

Am I the only one who thinks that the concrete pillar looks a bit like one of the monoliths from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Why when constructing these buildings do they use a mixture of rusty and shiny steel girders? What are the pros of using rusty ones?

Shminky Binky
Why when constructing these buildings do they use a mixture of rusty and shiny steel girders? What are the pros of using rusty ones?

I hae been told two theories on this - pick whichever you think is most believable:

1. It's not rust - they are fire-treated, the process involves an oxidising agent similar to rust which gives it that reddish-brown colour.

2. These girders are often made en masse and stored outside until they are required - causing them to rust. The shiny ones have just been made so recent that they haven't had time to rust

murfilicious
Shminky Binky

I hae been told two theories on this - pick whichever you think is most believable:

1. It's not rust - they are fire-treated, the process involves an oxidising agent similar to rust which gives it that reddish-brown colour.

2. These girders are often made en masse and stored outside until they are required - causing them to rust. The shiny ones have just been made so recent that they haven't had time to rust

Thanks for the reply. Glad I am not the only one who has thought about this.

Surely it must be the 1st one out of the 2. I can't see how the construction company would be happy receiving rusty beams. Especially if the excuse was that they stored them outside in the rain for ages, waiting to fall apart when used in a building.

I think it's probably the second option (although I'm only guessing). The rust is only surface oxidation (a bit like when copper turns green) - it doesn't mean that the structural integrity of the beam has been compromised.I would have thought that fireproofing comes later???

I would also suspect that whilst the beams look the same , they are in fact probably very different in terms of load bearing strength (ie not the same). The non rusty ones might come from say batch A of load bearing type A which have recently been produced (ie they will rust given time in the open) whilst the other beams are from batches B,C,D etc and are of many respective different load bearing strengths and have been stored outside...

I think I'll stop writing this drivel now in case it's all bull.

Wizard
I think it's probably the second option (although I'm only guessing). The rust is only surface oxidation (a bit like when copper turns green) - it doesn't mean that the structural integrity of the beam has been compromised.I would have thought that fireproofing comes later???

I would also suspect that whilst the beams look the same , they are in fact probably very different in terms of load bearing strength (ie not the same). The non rusty ones might come from say batch A of load bearing type A which have recently been produced (ie they will rust given time in the open) whilst the other beams are from batches B,C,D etc and are of many respective different load bearing strengths and have been stored outside...

I think I'll stop writing this drivel now in case it's all bull.

Oh please, would anyone talking bull on this forum be exactly new?

Are you suggesting that we should pay no heed to posts on this Forum as all posters post drivel?

Here's another Admiral update ...

They've already started working on framework? Wow.

Is the structural design quite unusual. The big concrete block in the middle and everything else built around it?

Any engineers about?

No there are lots of towers built with concrete core and girder construction. The pinicle in london was to be built the same however i think the core there is jumpform and Admirals core is slipform. The shard had a slipform core. From what i have seen slipform seems to be faster construction time but i maybe wrong. St davids 2 has concrete core/stairwells also.

Weren't the Twin Towers in NYC built with a central core?

As said above - It is used quite often, the concrete core provides lateral stability to the steel frame, which saves having to cross brace. It also provides a useful fire protected core in which to house stairs, lifts and other services.

Once the girders are in place you start to get a much better feel for the size of the build, and the public space around it. As i remember the west side of the build, closest to the camera, will have retail units on the ground floor, but they are set back a little under the building itself. So, like Callaghan Sq 1, there will be columns and outside public space within the girder structure that we can see. Based on the (massive) pic on the link below it does not look like this internal/external space will be very deep, but it will be there. So I think the pavement will feel quite wide for a pavement, but nothing like a square.

" target="_blank">http://www.stoford.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Admiral-building-CGI.jpg

Whatif

I think they were yes. But you don't build buildings to withstand a Boeing 767 flying into it. The Boeing 767 has a cruise speed of over 500MPH and could of had upto 90000 litre's of fuel onboard. And in fact it wasn't the core/stairwell that failed the south tower had a stairwell which still was accessible after the plane hit. The core's did there jobs and it was 56 minutes after the second plane hit that the south tower fell down. the north tower stood for 102 minutes after the plane hit. Sadly my friends half brother was a fireman who was called to 9 11 and he has never been found. He had a 1 year old baby. Also an aunt who lived close to the towers told us how she saw peeps trying to get away from the towers and 1 story that stood out when peeps running infront of cars and climbing on them to try to get away and how 1 lady ran after a station wagon and tried to hold onto the exaust while being dragged down the street she eventully let go.

9-11 was terrible, there is no doubting that, but it did force the architects of the world to come up with new ideas for how to deal with such events. I saw National Geographic's Mega-structures talking about the Shanghai World Financial Centre last night, and how it would deal and cope with such an event.

I think you get an idea of the height of the colonnade already on that pic. you can see the height of the girders nearest the cinema

Bloody hell, they are progressing quickly aren't they ?!

Looking forward to coming home at the end of this week and paying a visit to have a good look at it.

Jefferson
Whatif

I think they were yes.

Key thing to point out is that the inner core was not concrete however

Welshlad
Jefferson
Whatif

I think they were yes.

well the support structure is called a 'bundled tube', or in engineering terms, a glass curtain wall structure. What this means is that the buildings are tubes, made rigid by a lattice of steel beams on the outside walls. These vertical columns are strengthened by horizontal beams, and this design is what helps support the building, and keep it stable in high winds. An inner concrete core houses the elevators, and provides additional vertical load support.

below is the floor plan of the core http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nistncstar1-1-fig2-4.png

There was temperatures recorded of 2000 fahrenheit and the impact of a plane at those speeds would cause it to disintegrate.

Just a brief comment. I like the way the Admiral building already adds bulk to views of the city as you approach it. It's a particularly striking addition to the the view from Park Place.

it looks massive.

Jefferson
Welshlad
Jefferson
Whatif

I think they were yes.

"An inner concrete core houses the elevators, and provides additional vertical load support.

below is the floor plan of the core http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nistncstar1-1-fig2-4.png"

You describe the structure well, but as I said, the inner core was not a concrete core. Not sure what the point you are trying to make is.

Welshlad
Jefferson
Welshlad
Jefferson
Whatif

I think they were yes.

"An inner concrete core houses the elevators, and provides additional vertical load support.

below is the floor plan of the core http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nistncstar1-1-fig2-4.png"

You describe the structure well, but as I said, the inner core was not a concrete core. Not sure what the point you are trying to make is.

I was sharing the info i found out when i looked it up. No need to flame me.

My point is
http://algoxy.com/conc/core.html

If i'm understanding this site correctly there is a disagreement about what the core was or was not. I have read the concrete in the core wasn't load baring in 1 place and then 20% load baring on the link above.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

This thread has gone a bit off topic.

Anybody have any Admiral HQ updates or pics?

Actually now you see the size of the outer perimeter, the inner concrete core doesn't look so large.

Think they've reached the top as they've stayed at this level for nearly a week now ...

They took the construction "pod" off the top of the core a while ago so the core is not getting any taller, though the structure covering the top of the building when finnished may be slightly taller.

Here's a couple more photos ...

I walked past this recently. The bit that surprised me was the extent to which the building forms a distinctive point on the south west corner. I guess you can see this in the first pic in the above post. It is hard to tell how the road will be aligned once this is complete, but it looks like the south facing frontage cuts back at a diagonal angle from the route taken by the road to form the distinctive point. It is not quite as 'square' as I had imagined it would be.

Here's some more photos ...

Some pics from yesterday

2013-04-05 12.29.09

2013-04-05 12.29.39

Fantastic!

The thing I like is its bulk, shame its not a wee bit taller.

I agree.
It would be nicer if it was just a bit taller. Not Burj Khalifa height, butt maybe a couple of metres.

People get obsessed with height far too much!!!!!! Give me a series of attractive good quality mid-rises over high-rise **** any day. I really don't understand why we would want one or two tall poppeys towering over Cardiff anyway.

Frank
People get obsessed with height far too much!!!!!! Give me a series of attractive good quality mid-rises over high-rise **** any day. I really don't understand why we would want one or two tall poppeys towering over Cardiff anyway.

I wasn't asking for the fricking Burj Khalifa! I simply thought that it wouldn't look so squashed in the renders if it was a little taller.

Frank

I don't think we (who like our buildings the taller the better!!) all necessarily understand it ourselves? But the admiral building could've been taller and not so bulky - bit of a compromise. Anyway it's all personal preference I think, and I'm enjoying the construction of what we are actually getting

Whats the rate that each floor is built? Is it one per week?

Andrew (p)
Whats the rate that each floor is built? Is it one per week?

Those are pretty big floors - I don't think they are managing 1 a week, maybe every two weeks?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM