CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting quote from Admiral chief

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-18292490

So the article is mainly about OFT investigating the car insurance industry, but towards the end of the article is an interesting quote...

"The reason we chose south Wales was partly transport links to London; partly a number of people in Wales did a brilliant job of selling Wales to us and... as a place to locate, and partly because it is a nice place to live."

Who were these people that 'sold' Wales to Admiral 20 odd years ago (yes Jantra, that was before the Ass-embly!), where are they now, and do they want their old jobs back? Alternatively, can we not pay commission to David Stevens for each major employer that he can convince to relocate to Cardiff, with extra for every 100 jobs they create and even more if they aren't call centre jobs? You have to wonder whether we have the right people trying to bring business in. Surely the best people to recruit businesses to relocate here are not politicians or civil servants, but are in fact the top brass of companies that have already relocated here (or started up here...). (Yes, we need to politicians to create a business friendly environment, but surely it comes down to more than just how much tax the company will pay).

I'm sure plenty of people would be outraged if we paid tax payer money to the private sector/wealthy individuals to recruit business, but if it works, why not...?

Of course, none of this even matters if the CBD idea remains dead in the water...

Re: Interesting quote from Admiral chief

it was the WDA, according to my brother who works at Admiral the WDA were the only agency (throughout the UK) who actively entertained admiral and it was a result of the WDA presentation that Admiral decided to locate here.

of course, the Welsh Government thought it best to get rid of this organisation that did much good for Wales and instead replaced it with....themselves.

of course, i'm not one to comment on whether this has been effective or not and will leave that to others.

Jantra
it was the WDA, according to my brother who works at Admiral the WDA were the only agency (throughout the UK) who actively entertained admiral and it was a result of the WDA presentation that Admiral decided to locate here.

It was absolutely nothing to do with the WDA. It was Paul Goring of the the head of economic development at South Glamorgan Council who was the only person to pitch to Admiral. The full story is here.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business-in-wales/business-news/2011/05/25/admiral-boss-on-secrets-of-success-at-awards-launch-91466-28757767/

Chill ash, I'm only repeating what my brother, who works for admiral, has told me.

Sorry, Jantra. Re-reading my comment it does across as a bit chippy! It wasn't meant that way!

no worries ash, my post wasn't meant like that either.

:grouphug:

How wales, it's regions, city's and indervidual buisnesses premote themselves i think should be different from each other. But maybe the basis is the same "any publicity is good publicity".

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM