CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Shard

just watched the documentary on channel 4 online about how it was built . very interesting and worth the watch . Not cardiff related in anyway, just thought id mention it

Re: The Shard

I watched that when it was on tv, thoroughly enjoyed it, London is getting some pretty impressive buildings. Think how excited we'd be about a structure 1/3 it's height let alone the quality!!

It's horrible - out of context 'big dick' architecure and disliked by most Londeners.

I remain to be convinced about the Shard, I must admit.

Perhaps it will grow on me.

The shard will be iconic to london and replace the gerkin as most loved. While currently the shard looks out of place from what i understand there is atleast 3 more towers going to be built close to the shard and those towers will be about 250, 200 and 150 meter's tall with Guy's hospital tower getting a £20 million reclad and the walkie talkie and cheesegreater bringing the city closer to the embankment. Ok there is still a 400 meter gap but almost half of that is the river Thames. Also i understand some of the groundscrapers on the Thames around there are due to be replaced.
I'd like to point out that the reason the shard could be built above 300 meters is due to the land it's built on being below sea level. Due to heathrow airport being close. flight paths over london are at 2000ft and regulations want atleast a 1000ft gap. A similar thing happened in Canary Wharf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Canada_Square
The original Canary Wharf Tower by Cesar Pelli was 263 metres (864 ft) at 55 stories. The Canary Wharf Tower penetrated the permitted projection height of the flight obstruction area of the airport approach district to London City Airport, but this was extended to a height of 9.1 metres (30 ft) above curb level in consideration of the fact that the Canary Wharf Tower was on the external zone of the airport approach. To comply with air traffic safety regulations, the architects took off five floors of the tower. The final height of 251 metres (824 ft) was permitted, otherwise, the developers would have had to dismantle what was necessary to fit the height restriction. After losing five floors, Olympia & York insisted the other floors had to make up the lost floor space.

Ash,

Not sure that is true, I live in London and to be honest the general opinion of people I know and the media in London is either 'Its a fantastic landmark-statement', or 'The What?'

Most 'Londoners' are like me, non-native and accostom to the ever changing face of the city.

Yea there are people that hate the thing, just the same as they hate every other London building put up after Queen Vic popped off!!

'big dick' Sharp and pointy, unless I am very wrong I don't think a 'dick' is accuralty represented by the shard. Maybe 'The Gherkin' is a more phalic symbol?

Just joking, I get your point, so to speak, Ooo-err-Mrs.

Hmmm what to think of The green bird.
Taken from skyscrapernews

someone may as well say it

thats a dildo

spoiler: only click if you are not easily offended

Jefferson

Weren't you the guy who was worried your kids would be traumatised by my use of the non-word c**t? Seems like you may have serious psycho-sexual issues, you ENORMOUS hypocrite and Green Bird.

Mr Appeasement
Jefferson

Weren't you the guy who was worried your kids would be traumatised by my use of the non-word c**t? Seems like you may have serious psycho-sexual issues, you ENORMOUS hypocrite and Green Bird.

Yeah but i don't see how posting 2 picture's of a building would traumatise anyone. Are you for real?
Nothing wrong with innuendo. Infact it can be fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innuendo

Many television shows aimed at a younger audience frequently use innuendos as a way of attracting older viewers without offending their network's censorship. Shows such as Tom and Jerry (1940), The Flintstones (1960), Tiny Toon Adventures (1992), Scooby Doo, Where Are You (1969) and Top Cat (1961) have all used innuendo.

If Anne Summers did Skyscrapers

Jefferson
Mr Appeasement
Jefferson

Yeah but i don't see how posting 2 picture's of a building would traumatise anyone. Are you for real?

Many television shows aimed at a younger audience frequently use innuendos as a way of attracting older viewers without offending their network's censorship. Shows such as Tom and Jerry (1940), The Flintstones (1960), Tiny Toon Adventures (1992), Scooby Doo, Where Are You (1969) and Top Cat (1961) have all used innuendo.

Get a room FFS

Kyle
Jefferson
Mr Appeasement
Jefferson

Get a room FFS

ironic statement considering the way the subject has digressed

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM