CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Housing development on old Ely Paper Mill site.

1. The flats we are hoping to develop will be fully DDA compliant, we are not planning to develop any bungalows on the site. At this stage I cannot confirm which houses on the site will be designated as “social”, as you see from the picture on the front page of our website, we are looking to provide a significant amount of green/garden space.

2. We cannot build on the site until we have planning permission from CCC, we had hoped to have had permission by now, until permission is granted we would be wrong to offer up any dates;

3. We have a Masterplan which has the layout of the site, but the actual details are yet to be finalised, this is something we will do with our architects once the next phase is underway [remediation was completed in August 2013];

4. The train halt is being considered as part of the Metro project, and we are very keen to support it;

5. We will be offering accommodation through a local Registered Social Landlord, they will be available to help support the application process – once we have certainty over the dates of first homes being available to occupy;  

6. Thanks for the alert regarding our website, we are in the process of refreshing the site, like The Mill it has remained dormant. 14/2/2014.

Came on to post that I had a feeling this had reappeared - driving past the site yesterday and earlier today I noticed flyers on lampposts near Sanatorium Road, the bridge carrying the South Wales Mainline, the footbridge behind the Royal Mail on Cowb. Rd. East and near 'Chippy on the Bridge' on Cowb. Rd. West.

I figured it was unlikely to be 4 different projects so guessed it was this development, haven't been able to stop and read one though.

An article in today's welsh rugby daily confirms CCC have granted planning consent

That's good news, it's also on the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-26364730

This adds to the other large-ish housing developments planned in the city over the next few years. It's nice to see.

Anyone know or heard what the planned construction start date might be ?

I looked at the amended plans t'other day. The main line footbridge is too low and has to be replaced for future electrification. Lets hope the replacement higher bridge incorporates disabled access and aligns with the existing tunnel under the City line to link Cowbridge Rd East with the Neighbourhood Centre and the new Mill Halt.

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_101774

Freddie Frinton
I looked at the amended plans t'other day. The main line footbridge is too low and has to be replaced for future electrification. Lets hope the replacement higher bridge incorporates disabled access and aligns with the existing tunnel under the City line to link Cowbridge Rd East with the Neighbourhood Centre and the new Mill Halt.

That pedestrian route needs urgent attention. Since the new Ysgol Treganna opened it's used by hundreds of kids each day and yet it's frequently littered with used syringes, broken glass, etc. At the very least it should be gated at night until the new bridge is installed.

Good news.

Although this made me cringe:

"Economy Minister Edwina Hart said the plans would have a "considerable economic impact" on the region".

We're not talking about a major commercial development. Or even a particularly large house building scheme in the context of Cardiff or the wider region (proposals at 'Churchlands', Lisvane-Pontprennau, Waterhall etc are all much bigger, as are the developments at Llanwern, Coity/Bridgend and between Swansea and Neath). A development of affordable houses is to be welcomed for the affordable housing it provides. It is not, however, a key plank of an economic development strategy.

That's a valid point you make but why would edwina hart, Wales' economy minister, know that?

Lots of 'affordable housing' I see, whatever that means.

As anyone who's ever sold a huse knows, what's affordable depends entirely on who the buyer is. Presumably developers want to build mansions for oligarchs, so part of the deal is that they build some some modest properties as well.

An update... of sorts!

http://www.property-magazine.eu/former-cardiff-paper-mill-site-to-be-redeveloped-28333.html

EBDC is a not for profit making organisation. Their vision is to see the 53 acre site redeveloped to provide much needed good quality, well managed, affordable housing within the City and to deliver quality homes and a vibrant community where people can afford and choose to live.

Since its inception, EBDC has worked tirelessly to bring this development forward and was rewarded earlier this year when Cardiff Council resolved to grant outline planning permission for a mixed use development comprising approximately 750 homes along with commercial, community and recreational uses.

EBDC will be responsible for the construction of the Affordable Housing units that will make up approximately 55% of the total number of houses along with the primary infrastructure and recreational areas. They will also be responsible for meeting all Section 106 obligations and contributions. 10% of the houses will be built for full market rent and the remaining 35% of the houses will be constructed by private developers and offered for open market sale.

The open market sale units will be constructed upon approximately 14.05 acres made up of three sites within the estate. Property adviser DTZ has been appointed to market the three development sites identified for private sale. The first site extending to approximately 7.33 acres has now been released to the market and the sale is to be concluded by Informal Tender with Best and Final Offers being invited by 16 May 2014.

TAI TIRION org has responsibility for progress.

No news I'm afraid - just thought this thread seemed the perfect place to share a picture of a road sign from nearby Cowbridge Road East.
A scale model of the Glass Needle to the first person to spot the mistake.

The bus lane is turning in to Aldsworth road?

There are three lanes of traffic?

The bus lane carries on at the garage

Think Jantra got there before me ... traffic goes both ways, but the sign shows lanes all going in one direction only.

I just hope the occupant in the house realises that he/she can't turn immediate left without walking into the new signage.

Signs for various except date of social housing availability ready :)
Does nobody know?

BritWales
Signs for various except date of social housing availability ready :)
Does nobody know?

Can anyone decipher this word salad?

This so soon after the Councillor in charge of transport give assurances that there were no plans for one-way traffic on Cowbridge Road !

I see the plans for the development have changed. The bus only link to Cowbridge Road near Ely roundabout will now be a full all vehicle light controlled junction between the roundabout and the lights at Ely River Bridge. It'll be interesting to see how this works in practice and whether the road through becomes a rat run to/from Leckwith. May relieve traffic on Sanatorium and Cowbridge Roads,but it'll be a nightmare at thr roundabout and lights.
I wonder whether they'll time work to coincide with the work Network Rail have to do on their bridge as part of electrification.

Burges
I see the plans for the development have changed. The bus only link to Cowbridge Road near Ely roundabout will now be a full all vehicle light controlled junction between the roundabout and the lights at Ely River Bridge. It'll be interesting to see how this works in practice and whether the road through becomes a rat run to/from Leckwith.

Actually, from my reading of it, the two entrances will not be connected but will each only serve half of the development (or 60/40 I think the split is). This will ensure that not all the traffic is using Sanatorium Road, while also ensuring no rat-running.

murfilicious
Actually, from my reading of it, the two entrances will not be connected but will each only serve half of the development (or 60/40 I think the split is). This will ensure that not all the traffic is using Sanatorium Road, while also ensuring no rat-running.

If so, that's very sensible. I think everyone here has clocked the fact that the long lead time for this development has meant that traffic on Sanitorium Road and Broad Street has increased substiantally since the initial plans were published. Presumably there'll still be a bus-only link but rather than being at the north end it will be somewhere in the centre of the site.

murfilicious
Burges
I see the plans for the development have changed. The bus only link to Cowbridge Road near Ely roundabout will now be a full all vehicle light controlled junction between the roundabout and the lights at Ely River Bridge. It\'ll be interesting to see how this works in practice and whether the road through becomes a rat run to/from Leckwith.

Surely there will be some connection especially as, according to the WalesOnline article, that Cardiff Bus will be running a route through the development?

A 'bus only' lane, telescopic bollards, there must be several ways to allows buses to go where other transport cant.

Me
A 'bus only' lane, telescopic bollards, there must be several ways to allows buses to go where other transport cant.

Good Point. A bus lane or similar would probably need some form of physical barrier to prevent some drivers ignoring the restrictions and using the development as a rat run.

1 2
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM