CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Philanthropy

Don't wish to sound jealous but Cardiff born Michael Moritz, one of Wales' richest businessmen (ok he absconded to the US decades ago!) has announced that he and his wife are providing £75million in financial support to Oxford University.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jul/11/venture-capitalist-75m-oxford-scholarships

Re: Philanthropy

Other than the Butes, are there many other famous philanthropists in Cardiff's history?

I know that Cathays Library was built by Andrew Carnegie!

colour wolf
Other than the Butes, are there many other famous philanthropists in Cardiff's history?

I know that Cathays Library was built by Andrew Carnegie!

Sam Hammam
Vincent Tan

Henry Englehardt of Admiral gave 250k towards the city museum now cited in the Old Library if I recall correctly.

Wasn't St Fagans gifted to the National Museum by the Plymouth estate?

The Davies sisters gifted their collection of Impressionist paintings to the museum as well.

Any more?

As a side note I know it would have been nice if Michael Moritz had gave his money away to something Cardiff related but what he is doing is fantastic.

I could be wrong, but I have some memory of the Cardiff University Optometry Building on Maindy Road resulting from a contribution from a rich ex student. As I say, this is only a fuzzy memory and could be wrong. Anyone know?

Not in the same league, but wasn't much of the funding or the RWCMD provided by ex students such as Anthony Hopkins ?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM