CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fruit and veg market in City Centre

Ive just been looking at this 'old' video fo Cardiff City Centre back in 1995 and forgot that the fruit and veg market used to be around the back of Debenhams.

http://youtu.be/wTx1tFZlbAU?t=4m59s

I actually do remember it being on Mill Lane back in the 70s and moving around when Toys R Us, Icerink and other developments forced the move.

Where have they all gone now?

Lee

Re: Fruit and veg market in City Centre

I'm pretty sure part of the SD2 development was to include an outdoor market along barrack lane. This really could have brought life to this part of town. instead we get retail/start up units. boo!

DJ Leekee
Ive just been looking at this 'old' video fo Cardiff City Centre back in 1995 and forgot that the fruit and veg market used to be around the back of Debenhams.
I actually do remember it being on Mill Lane back in the 70s and moving around when Toys R Us, Icerink and other developments forced the move.Where have they all gone now?

It was offically called "Saint David's Market" in its final incarnation. The "Open Market" as it was often called began in the area around the Hayes Island Snack Bar then moved, first to Mill Lane, then to an area opposite the CIA and finaly to Baracks Lane.

I think it closed around 2005. It featured heavily in the first episode of the re-launched Doctor Who in that year and looks in a pretty decrepid state.

There were very few stalls still open in the final years and the remaining traders were offered temporary pitches in other parts of the city centre. There's one by the old library, another on Queen Street and another next to the Prince of Wales. I'm guessing that the temporary arrangements were made permenant as some stage.

I suppose it makes sense to spread the remaining fruit and veg outlets around the City Centre rather than have them all competing in just one area.

Things have naturally moved on with the introduction of the Farmers and Riverside markets - i think peoples tastes have moved on aswell and expect a lot more variety rather than just basic fruit and veg these days!

PS hasnt that fruit and veg stall always been next to the Prince of Wales?

No. Only over the past 25 years

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM