CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff Congestion Charge

Just had some Lib-Dem pamphlet through my door with "Labour Congestion BombShell"
Sort of old news now I thought, has there been more talk of it, or is it just the Lib Dems borrowing the Conservative "Dog Whistle" for the forthcoming By-Election?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/07/21/congestion-charge-considered-for-motorists-driving-into-cardiff-91466-31440450/

Re: Cardiff Congestion Charge

zach
Just had some Lib-Dem pamphlet through my door with "Labour Congestion BombShell"
Sort of old news now I thought, has there been more talk of it, or is it just the Lib Dems borrowing the Conservative "Dog Whistle" for the forthcoming By-Election?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/07/21/congestion-charge-considered-for-motorists-driving-into-cardiff-91466-31440450/

Well, Labour did float the idea of a congestion charge at the last local elections. It's nonsense of course - but they were worried about the Greens syphoning off some Labour votes in a couple of key wards.

It won't happen - but it got Labour the lentil eating votes they needed. If anything it was a Labour "dog whistle"! If it comes back to bite their bum - so be it.

Does anyone really worry about losing votes to the greens?

colour wolf
Does anyone really worry about losing votes to the greens?

In a few wards like Canton and Cathays, yes. The Greens won't win but they can prevent Labour winning.

All this consists of is more politics by leaflet from the busy Lib/Dem candidate in preparation for the yet-to-be-called by-election when Alun Michael takes the Chiltern Hundreds to get a nice pay rise for being elected South Wales police commissioner on Nov 15. (wow,that's an over complex sentence!)
Anyway Dr Bablik hasn't a hope in hell of dislodging the Labour feller who's intent on taking over Alun Michael's Westminster allowances. Lib-dems are just as unpopular in Cardiff South and Penarth as everywhere else, but it's a classic Lib-Dem ploy; vast numbers of leaflets distributed in a short time, representing their candidate as a 'local activist' and inflating stories of her importance. Among the hobby horses she's riding are better rail services from Penarth (nothing wrong with these services, not like the overcrowded Cogan ones, but she's not bothered about that), while pandering to the car lobby with a scare story about the congestion charge - rather a contradictory standpoint, trying to be green, but also populist among motorists
As far as I know, before she was selected in June, the good Dr Bablik had never left the groves of academia in Cardiff for so much as a day trip to Penarth- all of a sudden newsletters, leaflets and handouts pushed through our doors (at least five so far) present her as the 'Penarth local campaigner' who's the nearest thing to Joan of Arc. No doubt there are similar 'local issues' she's supposed to have raised in Splott, Trowbridge, Grangetown etc. The previous Penarth Lib-Dem activists consisted of one middle aged lady and her dog, and Lib-Dems only stood in one of four Penarth's council wards last May, with disastrous results. So I'm not sure what she hopes to achieve, except the usual ploy of increasing the need for waste paper recycling.
It's a non-story that she's resurrected anyway; One Cardiff Labour councillor floated the idea but promptly stopped talking about it when there was a negative reaction.

I believe that Cardiff Labour councillor was the Former Right Honrorable Russell Goodway OSJ who brought it up in 2006 I believe when he was a "humble backbencher" on Cardiff Council

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM