CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author
Comment
Re: Prospect Place - the return of!

Ash
abacus
I like the photos - keep them coming. Does anyone know what the red lights are on the English side of the channel? Noticed them the other evening and don't remember seeing them before. Must be something on the Weston seafront.

I think it may be the Grand Pier. They're advertising an "end of the pier Santa's Grotto" - it's probably that.

They're also staging the "Miss British Empire Grand Final". Now I know Weston is bit behind the times but that is ridiculous! My money is on Miss Southern Rhodesia.

My money is on miss Virginia

Mine is on Jantwat!

Sorry I asked. You people need a life and this forum needs a moderator.

Abacus
Sorry I asked. You people need a life and this forum needs a moderator.

The finest women in the British empire are to be found in that metropolis known worldwide as the "Slough of the North".

I speak of course of the fine Mancunian fillies.

Sturdy of thigh, thick of ankle and broad and long of chin these nymphs bred the famous Mancunian stock. Men like Bernard Manning, Mark E Smith and Paul Scholes owe their looks to the beauties of places like Eccles, Harpurhey and Gorton.

They certainly leave the coarse women of Wales in the shade. I will be attending the competition on Weston pier, setting off at low tide in my sloop, "Maggie Minx". The contender from Manchester, a sylph by the name of Charmaine-Bedelia Wigglesworth-Clotworthy will receive my ardent support.

As to the suggestion that this forum needs moderating, you Sir/Madam Abacus are a feckin killjoy.

Maybe you're right, but I like to think that decency and politeness always wins in the end! Internet forums are always going to attract the rude, comfortable and safe in front of their keyboards. Moderating things makes me the enemy, not my style. All things considered compared to many forums even un policed this one doesn't do to bad. However it does attract it's fair share of unnecessary vitriol which is a shame, and it probably stops longtime lurkers from getting involved still in the same way as I think of the Cardiff skyline.. onwards and upwards!! and please don't be put off posting. The amount of info shared with like minded Cardiff development fans makes it all worthwhile

Had a walk around it tonight, really makes an impression on the area

PB211123

PB211132

PB211143

nice one Cardiff - superb photos (as ever) many thanks for sharing! and as for the building and indeed the area, pardon the pun but.. looking up! I am under the impression that construction on the new rink starts in january. Even if we don't get all that is planned in the sports village, to see the back of that bl**** blue tent will be fantastic!

Looks impressive...a bit of a Cardiff Skyscraper!

What is up with the cladding, looks like a kid has been let loose with Megablocks!

jeremy
What is up with the cladding, looks like a kid has been let loose with Megablocks!

its the inner cladding (at least I hope it is)

This is today's update. They have now put up the framework for walls and cladding on the higher section and have been filling most of the under-cladding. As far as I can see thaye have also been working on the internal partitions.

Horizon against a setting sun taken from Mermaid Quay

Leaning tower of Pisa?

Frank
Leaning tower of Pisa?

It does look like that - I think it's something in the design. I did ensure it was upright before I posted it so it's an optical illusion.

Shepherds' warning?

A lovely scene this morning. On the updating side not a lot to report other than they have just started putting on white cladding. I guess most action is inside.

Lovely photo

A large piece of piling equipment was delivered today and the area is being prepared for the installation of a smaller crane so that work can commence on the remaining two blocks.

It's some time since I did an update but here's a new picture. The work is proceeding apace but most in the tower is internal. Parts for the lifts were delivered and remain wrapped up in plastic.

At the moment they are preparing the first floor for concreting the new block which you can see to the left. This appears to be for the car park. The cladding on the tower so far appears to be foam and no doubt there will be more durable material soon.

Your 'view' will soon be blocked off to the left of the tower as they have started construction of one of the last two Blocks. This will probably be the same height as the one you can currently see to the left of the tower

The front of the new block will possibly be in line with the windows in the brick wall of the last block. You can see the pillars already. So I will not see the Pier Head Building any more.

No idea what the future of this development is, but it looks okay and is providing some jobs in construction which will do for now.

It should provide another 2 years of employment according to stories I've heard.

I thought I would imagine what the new block might look like when completed based on the work they are doing at the moment.

that doesn't look too bad at all (and a v good effort at photoshop). based on that image, what will the public realm be immediately in front? any ideas?

Nice to see them cleaning the existing development as well, was getting quite grubby. I imagine the area in front of it will be much like the block next to it with car parking underneath cordend off by a wall of some sorts. Great photoshop as well ;)

There will also be a raised plaza between the tower block and the unbuilt blocks I believe

The second crane is up

good photo Gail! but here's Big brother and little sister! You can see more than me!

What is amazing is that this camera can see much more than I can (helped by photoshop)

Since the second crane was erected, they have now boxed it in and appear to have spent the week erecting a metal structure directly next to the undercroft car park (I couldn't get a very good angle for this, but it is the furthest left area of the picture).

That 'metal structure' you refer to is to support beams,etc as the car park has to be 'joined' onto the two new Blocks. It is duplicated on the other side (out of view in your picture) to connect to the other Block. Concrete has already been laid on that structure. Once secure, the supporting metal supports they have erected will be removed.

This picture of the structure supporting the new floor of the new block illustrates Whatif's message. They will erect the same structure on top of the new floor and then pour the concrete on to that. Once the floor below is strong enough they will remove most of the temporary structure and add it to the next floor and so on until the basic construction is finished. In China they use bamboo!

Some progress has been made over the last two weeks:

Update on horizon!

The tall crane is being dismantled at the moment.

crane coming down

I was wrong - it's just for a service. and if you are crane engineer you need a head for heights!

head for heights

That's seriously scary!!!

yes!! He's 200 feet up balancing on a narrow hook.

this gives a better idea!

head for heights 2

They've been pouring concrete all day:

I imagine this will be some dodgy flats that will make a nice investment for a foreign owner. Still it's providing construction jobs in the meantime.

Frank
I imagine this will be some dodgy flats that will make a nice investment for a foreign owner. Still it's providing construction jobs in the meantime.

Your name aint Dic Mortimer, is it??

LOL
Frank

Your name aint Dic Mortimer, is it??

Frank does appear to be in a bit of a mood today, have a look at all of his posts today on each of the top few threads.

from Sunday 9th March

March 16th...

4th May..

I think it looks very nice. That part of town has the promise of being really quite interesting. Hopefully the construction of ISV will really take off and will give us 5 odd years of something to look at and debate.

^^^^^

What rhodri says. And to think that the ISVhas four other towers taller that prospect place planned. Cardiff having a second (or even third district) with towers will certainly say something about its confidence and belief

Anyone see this on Newsnight the other day? About a mass squat of an unfinished 45 floor tower block in Caracas? Maybe it's fear of stuff like this that made them want to finish Prospect Place! And makes me think of that steel work on James Street. Crazy to see the red brick work and DIY in among the framework. Perhaps we could do the same and start a competitor CWMForum HQ for the Capital Tower plans?!

Anyway, interesting film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrCzgprPT8

What a load of rubbish!! The reason they restarted building it was so they could make money selling apartments! It would have been a cold place to squat anyway before the re-start - with no doors and windows!

Post something sensible....please!

Chinaboy
What a load of rubbish!! The reason they restarted building it was so they could make money selling apartments! It would have been a cold place to squat anyway before the re-start - with no doors and windows!

Post something sensible....please!

Come on Chinaboy me's comments were surely tongue in cheek. We may sometimes think things are tough but a comparison with downtown caracas puts things into perspective! Very interesting film that - and yes plans are already underway for a cardiffwalesmap takeover of capital tower!! but ssshhh keep it under your hat

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM