CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Warehouse John Street

Anyone else concerned at the site of Cuddy Demolition hoarding adjacent to and inside the old warehouse on John Street off Callaghan Square? Has anyone got any info? Always thought that building should be saved as one of cardiffs few remaining warehouses from our industrial past.

Re: Old Warehouse John Street

I think there is always a danger that the need to preserve intersting and historic buildings drops down the agenda in hard economic times. The decision on Bethel, Butetown earlier this year is a case in point.

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/02/09/historic-butetown-church-to-be-knocked-down/

Having said that permision would be required for demolition - and I don't recall it being applied for. Others can correct me.

Carlos
Anyone else concerned at the site of Cuddy Demolition hoarding adjacent to and inside the old warehouse on John Street off Callaghan Square? Has anyone got any info? Always thought that building should be saved as one of cardiffs few remaining warehouses from our industrial past.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, yes I'm very concerned, as this is a beautiful building.

I'm pretty pissed off with cadw and I don't think they are fit for purpose..will raise bloody hell about someone tampering with some medieval exposed beams, but don't give a shit about the buildings that epitomise the industrial past of Wales.

is that the one where the temporary library was situated? The one between two car parks? If so it would be criminal. unless it really is about to fall over, there is no reason why it could not be converted akin to the building around the corner - the Edward England warehouse I think it is called

wonder if the Council are even aware? what about a spot local listing??

I can understand certain buildings not being significant enough to warrant listing or the cost of renovation/re-use being in excess of a new build, but there are quite a lot of structures around the bay and city centre which are special because they are still standing. Furthermore they provide an historic and evolutionary anchor point to the area, which was my argument surrounding The Vulcan, it became significant because it was the one thing left! With the exception of the prison wall you might as well tell people that Adam St is a new road!

Old buildings need special protection especially from short-sighted redevelopments by successive councils, ‘Bridge St’ being a major casualty of the past but at least now (hopefully!) St David’s should age well and still be fit for purpose way into the future.

I still have concerns for Merchant Place, Custom House/York Hotel, Cardiff Bay Station, actually anything pre-war that might be seen as “getting in the way”. Re-use and recycle I say!!

I wasn't referring to being nationally listed by Cadw, rather that the Council have powers to add buildings to a local list. They are a number of locally listed buildings throughout the City Centre, typically within the conservation areas. Here, there is no protection (as far as I'm aware).

Stuck my head round the corner of the site and asked a cuddy employee if it was coming down - he said it "looks like it"!! wow that's quite a big deal, and unless there are plans for something VERY special be that a building or something transport related (unlikely) then this seems to be a great shame. Still this isn't definite info. but I'm intriqued to find out more??

THEY NEED PERMISSION!!!

The building in question

I believe permission to demolish is assumed if permission is given to a replacement building/development. Did the recent outline planning application for Callaghan Square include this portion of land?

This is bollocks if true

I hope they do knock it down, its so ugly, the building next to it should go also.

I think it would make a great Callaghan square to cardiff bay metro station. Just hollow it out, re point it and have some steps leading up to a platform. Would save walking all the way to queen street and connect up the hayes to the bay in an amost straight line.

So cuddy set up camp next to a building that they are just waiting to find out if they can flatten!! blimey do they just kinda roam around the area and then find a near derelict building and think, come on boys we'll settle next to that one for a while surely permission for us to do our bit will follow soon!! I know cuddy are swansea based but isn't this taking our rivalry a little far? do the police know they are hanging around flattening cardiff buildings!!... OK maybe not, but there must be some plans for the area that we are uaware of and it will be very interesting to know what they are likewise I wonder when we will know anything about the car park at adam st where the vulcan (RIP - until you rise again!) once was

there is a site on facebook, old cardiff that of late has shown loads of old pics of buildings demolished in the last twenty years or so, the city has lost some fabulous buildings, and in a few cases nothing has gone up to replace them.
this as a last remaining one should be kept and developers enduced to do the right thing here. Edward england round the corner, or spillers have been done really well - the granary on lloyd george avenue less so

the chapel story someone put up another case in point.

I quite like the Granary, it certainly is a lot better than everything else on LGA (save for the aforementioned Edward England building)

paul - cardiffwalesmap
So cuddy set up camp next to a building that they are just waiting to find out if they can flatten!! blimey do they just kinda roam around the area and then find a near derelict building and think, come on boys we'll settle next to that one for a while surely permission for us to do our bit will follow soon!! I know cuddy are swansea based but isn't this taking our rivalry a little far? do the police know they are hanging around flattening cardiff buildings!!... OK maybe not, but there must be some plans for the area that we are uaware of and it will be very interesting to know what they are likewise I wonder when we will know anything about the car park at adam st where the vulcan (RIP - until you rise again!) once was

They are Neath based Paul. No pegs sold there

I find the mystery surrounding this building a little odd. Has it got structural problems, or has someone just overlooked it and we are due to lose yet another decent building only for it to be replaced by a surface car park or a road ?

I echo what Jantra says as well, I really like the converted warehouse in the middle of Callaghan Square, just a shame about the other shit apartments that line that street.

the Jacobs building is probably a good example of a survivor, although unbelievable that the Square backs onto it, rather than it being made into a feature...

Jantra
I quite like the Granary, it certainly is a lot better than everything else on LGA (save for the aforementioned Edward England building)

I don't mind it - but it's more of a replica than a preserved building. I seem to remember the whole thing was flattened and then re-built with similar facades. I've no idea whether they used the original stone or not.

Well done Ash - that was my re-collection, it was a shell for of the old granary for ages and then flattened before construction began. Maybe cuddy are gonna flatten that warehouse and it'll be built back again!! I thought/hoped someone might've tipped us the wink on plans by now

I mentioned this site to a planning officer at the Council and he said that Cuddy are merely on site trying to sort out the asbestos there.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM