CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pontcanna - What's the verdict

I may be moving there soon. Or maybe I won't. Is Llandaff Road technically Pontcanna or Canton? I don't care, I just think there should be a thread devoted to the City's most talked about housing location. The mention of the word 'Pontcanna' rouses strong opinions in people, for there are those who think it's Cardiff's answer to Notting Hill, or Hampstead, or Bloomsbury or whichever trendy London location you want to pick. But there are also those who think Pontcanna is a byword for pretension, snobbery and mugs who spend a budget for a reasonable size house on a small flat instead. Somewhere for middle class urbanites who snigger at the suburbs. I have walked round there recently and whilst I've been quite impressed by the look of some of the restaurants, the independent retailers and all the trees, the houses don't really impress me. They're quite 'big' in some areas like Cathedral Road, but elsewhere they're fairly standard terraces as you'd get in any other city centre location. But of course people don't buy in Pontcanna because of the houses, but for the scene, the genteel way of life and the chance to mix in such a 'community'. But does such a thing really exist? Is a lot of it just a fake marketing exercise, an estate agent's concoction, a media luvvies' dream town? I remain undecided but perhaps moving there (or is it Canton?) to rent will give me a better idea.

Re: Pontcanna - What's the verdict

Hmmm Pontcanna is everything that you describe above. But the best things about it are the places all around it! You got the busy and popular high street of Canton to the south, Taff Trail and city centre to the west and Pontcanna fields and beyond to the north.

Pontcanna is essentially those bigger houses off catherdral road upto Llandaf Road (just)

There's nothing particularly wrong with it apart from missing a Tesco or Sainsburys shop and does seem to attract its fair share of media and rugby types (the decent houses are well expensive!)

EVERY pub and restaurant has its own niche clientelle and are all recommended. I'd much prefer a night out in pontcanna than the Bay or the city centre!

I dont think people here are intentionally snobby but obviously must have some money to afford these prices!

PS Llandaff road is definately CANTON!

I'm just being provocative I don't really mean to offend. I can imagine Pontcanna might be a decent place for a night out. Certainly preferable to the usual weekend mess in town.

its riverside or canton, pontcanna are the fields

Jantra

Iesu! It's the annual "pontcanna doesn't exist" post from Jantra! How predictable?

hywl ap rhodri ap gwynfor
Jantra

Iesu! It's the annual "pontcanna doesn't exist" post from Jantra! How predictable?

just my opinion, having grown up there

Jantra
Jantra

Yawn....how does reiterating your opinion help this debate? Rhetorical question so please don't bother answering

Jantra
Jantra

Yawn....how does reiterating your opinion help this debate? Rhetorical question so please don't bother answering

what is the debate? whether pontcanna exists? its akin to Victoria Park, they are both estate agents constructs for the better parts of canton.

Jantra
what is the debate? whether pontcanna exists? its akin to Victoria Park, they are both estate agents constructs for the better parts of canton.

Uffarn dan! Not this again. Pontcanna is the northern part of Riverside ward. The name goes back centuries. Jantra bach - why do take what your Nain told you as truth above all else? What ever Pontcanna is - it's never been part of Canton.

Ash
Jantra

Uffarn dan! Not this again. Pontcanna is the northern part of Riverside ward. The name goes back centuries. Jantra bach - why do take what your Nain told you as truth above all else? What ever Pontcanna is - it's never been part of Canton.

"jantra" has been banned from his other ranting ground,CCMB . He was "Feedback" and then became "Zombie Apocalypse". He winds people up. This thread is proof of that. Glad you are finally seeing the light Ash.

Ash
Jantra

Ash

I am only saying what Pontcanna meant to me and us growing up in Canton. We were always told it was part of Canton.

St Mary's church, the Romilly, the Robin Hood, Severn Road school and Severn Grove are all part of Canton. Yet some would have you believe they are part of Pontcanna. I have always said that Pontcanna is the fields and the bits around it. Pencisely Road is canton/llandaff border.

the thread started off by asking what does pontcanna mean and I said what it meant to me. Why is this an issue?

ccmb watcher
Ash
Jantra

"jantra" has been banned from his other ranting ground,CCMB . He was "Feedback" and then became "Zombie Apocalypse". He winds people up. This thread is proof of that. Glad you are finally seeing the light Ash.

rubbish, the account was locked for reasons mr morris will not be disclosing. I still post on CCMB. you clearly have issues with people expressing their own opinion if its different from yours.

Ash
Jantra

I found this Ash, (the website that its from is worth a look on its own)

history of the canna in which Pontcanna is referred to as Upper Canton or the northern part of the Hamlet Canton.

The point I was making that Pontcanna is just a nice part of Canton like Victoria Park and as someone who grew up there we always considered it Canton. Karl has stated previously that its Canton if your buying but becomes Pontcanna if you are selling. That probably sums it up.

NB I appreciate that its politically within the Riverside ward, however that is more to do with history and the area being admitted to Cardiff at the same time. However, to anyone who lives there, Riverside would be south of Wellington Street/CRE and North of Clare street train bridge/Tudor Street/ninian park road

Jantra

I found this Ash, (the website that its from is worth a look on its own)

history of the canna in which Pontcanna is referred to as Upper Canton or the northern part of the Hamlet Canton.

The point I was making that Pontcanna is just a nice part of Canton like Victoria Park and as someone who grew up there we always considered it Canton. Karl has stated previously that its Canton if your buying but becomes Pontcanna if you are selling. That probably sums it up.

NB I appreciate that its politically within the Riverside ward, however that is more to do with history and the area being admitted to Cardiff at the same time. However, to anyone who lives there, Riverside would be south of Wellington Street/CRE and North of Clare street train bridge/Tudor Street/ninian park road

Thanks for the link.

Actually I don't disagree with you that most people would traditionaly view Pontcanna as part of Canton, not Riverside - but that doesn't mean Pontcanna is a "made-up" place. It's a historic name that's used in some circumstances - normaly these days by estate agents!

It's no different to Saltmead in Grangetown, Tredegarville in Adamsdown or Coryton in Whitchurch. It doesn't have to be an either/or with place names.

Interesting point about Riverside & Pontcanna being admitted to the City/Borough the same time. I'm presuming that would be at the time of the 1888 Local Government Act. It's a new one on me but is it case that the area that's now Canton ward remained under Rural District and County Council control for a few years longer than Riverside/Pontcanna? That would certainly explain the disconnect between the Canton ward's boundaries and what people regard as the 'natural' borders.

Hi

I know this debate happened a while ago but I'm looking to put together a report on Pontcanna and the proposed boundary changes to the Riverside ward.

I'd love to speak to people about their opinions.

If you wouldn't mind helping me out please get in touch!

Kind regards,

Cari Davies

Well you have to ask the question WHO wants to move it and what their motive is!

It seems Pontcanna is only ever going to expand possibly south to Cowbridge Road and rise house prices.

Im not entirely sure what else it will or can effect!

Lee.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM