CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top 20 Most Popular UK Cities for International Visitors

The Office of National Statistics, which keeps track of such things, has named the UK cities most visited by international visitors. You'd expect London to be number one and Edinburgh, coming in at number two isn't much of a shock either. But some of the other destinations in the UK Top 20 list, may surprise you.

1- London
2 - Edinburgh
3 - Manchester
4 - Birmingham
5 - Glasgow
6 - Liverpool
7 - Bristol
8 - Oxford
9 - Cambridge
10 - CARDIFF
11 - Brighton
12 - Newcastle-upon-Tyne
13 - Leeds
14 - York
15 - Inverness
16 - Bath
17 - Nottingham
18 - Reading
19 - Aberdeen
20 - Chester

What can we do to knock Cambridge off number 9 and for us to take their spot? (Hehe ). When I went to Cambridge last all I saw was just students and people on bicycles everywhere. The city didn't have much to offer other than universities and 6th form colleges. All commercial activities was on one long stretch of road (hills road)

I am suprised we are all the way down in 10th when the other two capital cities occupy 1st and 2nd. We should ideally be in the top 5. Any suggestions are welcome.......

Re: Top 20 Most Popular UK Cities for International Visitors

I think we are very lucky to be top 10, in all honesty. Cambridge is a lot prettier than our fair city, but beauty doesn't always entice visitors Birmingham and Manchester being two examples of that. This information should now be used to help Cardiff Airport. If we were easier to get to, we would get more visitors. Simples really. Poor old Belfast isn't even top 20 either.

I also think Cardiff is doing pretty well to be tenth. Good to see!

Cardiff would do better if it was just more famous. Sometimes when I'm abroad people are not very familiar with it.

Interesting list. In surprised that bath isn't higher, and why are so many people going to inverness and Chester? I've never been to either.

Inverness is Loch Ness (which gets a lot of Americans!)
Chester really is lovely with its old walls.
Also surprised Bath isn't higher.

I've got quite a few American relatives, and whenever they come over they all seem to want to see the same things.
London, stonehenge, bath, stratford upon Avon, and Edinburgh.
The one thing they all REALLY want to see though is something Wales has in abundance. Castles.

We really should be making more of our castles, apparently we have the greatest density of castles anywhere in the world.
Plus to an American eye, our castles look like castles should look. Continental ones and Scottish ones just don't look quite right.

We should probably make more of our dubious links with arthurian legend, or commission Mel Gibson to make a braveheart 2 about llewellyn bren, or owain glyndwr.

I wonder where we are on total visitors rather than international?

I suspect we might be higher up the list.

Has anyone got a link to the report?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_274235.pdf might be in there somewhere

Thanks colour wolf

It is on page 11 the data figure

Simon I would agree - if we had a stag and hen doo destination i bet we would be right up there. Add sporting events and the evidence of our hotel industry would suggest we do quite well from visitors. I would guess that foreign visitors spend more money though?

anonymous7egend
Thanks colour wolf

It is on page 11 the data figure

Some of the tables attached to the report are interesting.

Apparently nobody went on holiday to merthyr, the rhondda or torfaen :(
2k went to blaenau Gwent.

Cardiff had about the same number of visitors from the USA as Brighton, but they stayed twice as long in Brighton and spent twice as much. That is reflected with visits from other areas too.

40% of cardiff's holiday making visitors were on inclusive tours.

Swansea attracts a sixth of the holiday makers that Cardiff does. Cardiff attracts over a third of all Wales holidaymakers.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM