CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Council cuts

Big list of things being cut by the council on the links below. Community centres, library opening hours, the Big Weekend, and the Hayes toilets among many other things. Not happy reading...

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2013/02/01/budget-breakdown-where-cardiff-council-will-find-its-savings/

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2013/02/01/cardiff-council-to-slash-22m-from-its-budget-with-cuts-to-libraries-leisure-centres-and-the-arts/

Re: Council cuts

There is a public meeting at 7pm on Monday 4th February at the Cameo Club in Pontcanna to oppose the closure of the riding school. Please come along if you care

Me
Big list of things being cut by the council on the links below. Community centres, library opening hours, the Big Weekend, and the Hayes toilets among many other things. Not happy reading...

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2013/02/01/budget-breakdown-where-cardiff-council-will-find-its-savings/

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2013/02/01/cardiff-council-to-slash-22m-from-its-budget-with-cuts-to-libraries-leisure-centres-and-the-arts/

one of Cardiff's great pieces of Victorian architecture no longer open to the public.

They cant be serious about the loos. They have only just been done up! And I must say are a bit of a treasure

Jantra
Me

one of Cardiff's great pieces of Victorian architecture no longer open to the public.

The council is always going on about preserving our architectural history, and then they do this.

I may be cynical but I think the list of possible cuts includes some popular items soley so the Council can reprieve them and then crow about how they have been saved by their hard work.

For example the Splott Pool is located in a ward that returned all Labour councillors last elections after a brief period of having 2 then 1 LibDem Councillor. I would guess now that the 3 Labour councillors will protest the closure and then when it is repreived they can show how good they are!

bishop84
I may be cynical but I think the list of possible cuts includes some popular items soley so the Council can reprieve them and then crow about how they have been saved by their hard work.

For example the Splott Pool is located in a ward that returned all Labour councillors last elections after a brief period of having 2 then 1 LibDem Councillor. I would guess now that the 3 Labour councillors will protest the closure and then when it is repreived they can show how good they are!

Nice one for noticing it!

I guess the loos can be reopened in future if moneys is available, and maybe reopened for short periods on busy days.

How about closing the smaller, and less used, ladies section of the toilets, and maintaining the gents but introducing a small charge like many toilets in London and elsewhere? Pays for itself...

If they close they will become lkike those in the civic centre and cathays library, an inaccessible relic.

Redragon
How about closing the smaller, and less used, ladies section of the toilets, and maintaining the gents but introducing a small charge like many toilets in London and elsewhere? Pays for itself...

If they close they will become lkike those in the civic centre and cathays library, an inaccessible relic.

Doubt they'd do that. It would take a brain and a little bit of common sense, neither of which they had in abundance.

True enough... feels like sometimes people need to tell them what to do or give them suggestions...

Wasn't the report supposed to be discussed at committee last week?

Also, how much does it cost to returf the front of City Hall every year after Winter Wonderland??

bishop84

For example the Splott Pool is located in a ward that returned all Labour councillors last elections after a brief period of having 2 then 1 LibDem Councillor. I would guess now that the 3 Labour councillors will protest the closure and then when it is reprieved they can show how good they are!

Guess I was right! At a meeting yesterday organised by the councillors along with the AM and MP to hold their hands they announced that the pool is not closing! A new all singing and dancing "Hub" including pool,leisure, community facilities and library is now proposed for the site. Strange how this was not previously announced nor any record in official council records can be found, just the closure in the budget proposal.

Apparently it will replace the recently refurbished STAR Centre and Library on Splott Road which will be demolished and Social housing built on the site.
Does anyone know if Labour objected to the proposal for housing on part of the Star Centre car park prior to it being taken into public ownership from the trust that orginally built the centre?

I don't know where this Hub idea comes from. It all seems like its been done on a back of a fag packet. Surely it will involve building on parkland? From my recollection the pool has a small surface car park in front of it and then directly abuts the southern part of Splott Park and the tennis courts and bowling greens.

Where will the space come from to build a new pool, leisure centre, community centre, library etc if not from the existing parkland? Haven't the council learnt from the Rumney Rec debacle?

Agree that there is no way all they are suggesting could fit on the existing pool site. I guess the adjacent, fairly newly built, play scheme and bowling pavillion/changing rooms would have to go. Possibly other areas of the park such as one or both of the bowling greens and bmx track as well. The tennis courts have already gone but replaced with a skateboard park and basketball court.

I think that the suggestion from a councillor that Viridor may be approached to contribute or even pay for the scheme is incredulous! Is that is the same Viridor who are building the Energy From Waste / Incinerator in the industrial part of Splott to which the same councillors stated that they were vehemently opposed to.

BMX track? Skateboard park?? God that's how long its been since I was last in Splott Park. I spent practically every evening/weekend there when I was growing up. You'll be telling me they've got rid of Jessie next....!

On a serious note this has the makings of complete farce. Oppose Viridor who get planning permission anyway. And then, when your leverage has disappeared, suggest that you tap them for some money to assuage the voters of Splott/Tremorfa who have only just voted you back in after a long flirtation with the LibDems. Announce closure of the pool to save 300k per annum and then announce building of new hub at the cost of how many millions? Such announcement seemingly having been made up on the spot.

Surely this type of thing is years in the planning? Discussions with developers over the STAR site, prepare plans for new HUB with inevitable local opposition to overcome due to loss of parkland, get planning permission, find funds to build etc etc. How long to do that at a conservative estimate - 3 years say. And presumably Splott pool will remain open during that time so as not to alienate the voters which means that the savings of 300k pa will not be made. In fact it will cost approx 1m to keep it going.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on but this level of brainlessness is making the tenure of Rodney Berman et al seem like a golden age.

Karl
Where will the space come from to build a new pool, leisure centre, community centre, library etc if not from the existing parkland?

Obviously they plan to build up. Swimming pool on ground floor, community centre above it, library above that. Then maybe another swimming pool on the top floor with a bmx track on the roof. Great jumps down to ground level. Kids will love it.

All looks like the council are trying to play games to work public opinion in their favour but it has all come a little unstuck.

Me

All looks like the council are trying to play games to work public opinion in their favour but it has all come a little unstuck.

I think you have it spot on.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM