CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Centre / Bay blueprint March 2013

A new masterplan proposing the expansion of the city centre southwards and the completion of Cardiff Bay is to be unveiled on Friday. Cardiff council will present its vision for growing the capital’s economy over the next 20 to 30 years to business leaders.

Full article here:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/03/07/revealed-masterplan-redrawing-cardiff-city-centre-and-cardiff-bay-91466-32936217/

A few of the key points:

- The pedestrianisation of St Mary Street could be extended south under the railway line
- Callaghan Square will undergo “comprehensive reconfiguration” (realigning of the road to you and I)
- New public squares suggested for north and south of Cardiff Central station,
- A new “significant public square” next to the new Admiral HQ
- County Hall is proposed as the site for a convention centreand an 11,000 capacity indoor arena.
- Creation of 6,000 new houses throughout Dumballs Road and Lloyd George Avenue - said to be "modern high-density urban living” prevalent in Scandinavian cities - is this that riiculous "car free suburb" idea again?
- Integrated transport hub (yawn!) and remodelling of Central Plaza
- A new Light Rapid Transit (LRT) system linking the city centre to the Bay

Ambitious plans - but how much of it will get built over the next 20-30 years?

Re: City Centre / Bay blueprint March 2013

Ambitious indeed. Although the scandinavian style high density housing really captures my interest. 6000 homes within basically 2 roads and the surrounding areas. Thinking that accomodates for at least 12000 people. That's pretty huge. Plus, if you have seen the style of housing I think they have in mind, you will all be impressed as Cardiff will be the only city in the uk with anything like it. Thinking something along the lines of this:

http://www.contemporist.com/photos/tietgen_student_housing_01.jpg

6000 student flats??? ... I'm not convinced

No, the link I posted was an idea of what the housing could possibly look like/will look similar to as it is high density scandinavian housing. The article mentions nothing of student flats, just the image I posted.

So more queues as traffic tries to get from the north of the City Centre to the Bay!!

Rod
So more queues as traffic tries to get from the north of the City Centre to the Bay!!

Rod, try cycling or the train instead.

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2872,3257,6571,6573&parent_directory_id=2865&id=14114

The green paper and accompanying papers are now online.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM