CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The new Swansea uni campus..

Just saw this projected aerial view:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-21873872

Is it just me or does the design look somewhat incongruous to the surroundings? My view is that the blocks of what I assume are student residents are too dense and that it would benefit from more open space between the buildings rather than a dense system of courtyards surrounded by masses of empty space.

Any views?

Re: The new Swansea uni campus..

I seriously hope that's just some sort of rough layout plan, and it ends up looking nothing remotely like that.

Is the architect Russian? It reminds one of the Soviet era - the sort of place they would send party activists for their summer holiday!

Edwina Hart is taking the penthouse suite

It reminds me of all of those brownstones in New York, and it does indeed have a communist vibe to it.

Wales' relentless march towards 1950s Tblisi continues unabated. yet you mock. we really do have a lack of ambition here in Wales

We certsinly seem to have a lack of artistic architects! Perhaps architects are taught that awful designs make more money

It does indeed look awful although is that just an indicative render or what will actually get built? However I think the accusation of lack of ambition is off the mark. A new 450m campus is being constructed in what is a very small city on the western periphery of the UK and which is currently ranked outside of the top 40 universities in the UK with what looks like some interesting hook ups with large multi national companies.

The fact that the architecture looks to be uninspiring is disappointing and purely on a subjective view you could argue that those commissioning the buildings lack taste but I don't think they lack ambition.

And I don't buy this idea that you can take an isolated development in Swansea that doesn't look too pretty and then extrapolate that to mean that the whole of Wales lacks ambition. The last university building built in south Wales is, I think, the RWCMD which I'd rate as superb (as do all the architecture critics).

Karl
It does indeed look awful although is that just an indicative render or what will actually get built? However I think the accusation of lack of ambition is off the mark. A new 450m campus is being constructed in what is a very small city on the western periphery of the UK and which is currently ranked outside of the top 40 universities in the UK with what looks like some interesting hook ups with large multi national companies.

The fact that the architecture looks to be uninspiring is disappointing and purely on a subjective view you could argue that those commissioning the buildings lack taste but I don't think they lack ambition.

And I don't buy this idea that you can take an isolated development in Swansea that doesn't look too pretty and then extrapolate that to mean that the whole of Wales lacks ambition. The last university building built in south Wales is, I think, the RWCMD which I'd rate as superb (as do all the architecture critics).

It sure is, and I like the UOG Atrium building as well, plus although not a Uni the new Cardiff and Vale building about to go up seems to look okay as well. Likewise the stuff going up at various sites for Cardiff University is pretty decent.

The new Maindy Campus building is pants though

http://planning.npt.gov.uk:8251/start.aspx?Case=P2012/0888

These are the documents comprising the planning application - far too many for me to be arsed looking for pretty pictures I'm afraid.

Karl
The last university building built in south Wales is, I think, the RWCMD which I'd rate as superb (as do all the architecture critics).

This. Spend an evening in that place and there's little chance you'll come away feeling that Wales lacks ambition. The Dora Stoutzker Hall especially is an utterly gorgeous piece of architecture, and a wonderful concert hall. And with some of the stuff being thrown up recently by Cardiff Uni, UWIC, UoG and now CAVC I think there's a strong case for arguing that crap new university buildings are the exception rather than the rule.

I think there are new uni buildings in bangor too, although i dont know what they look like.

DaiB
Karl
The last university building built in south Wales is, I think, the RWCMD which I'd rate as superb (as do all the architecture critics).

This. Spend an evening in that place and there's little chance you'll come away feeling that Wales lacks ambition. The Dora Stoutzker Hall especially is an utterly gorgeous piece of architecture, and a wonderful concert hall. And with some of the stuff being thrown up recently by Cardiff Uni, UWIC, UoG and now CAVC I think there's a strong case for arguing that crap new university buildings are the exception rather than the rule.

I'd agree - in Cardiff!!

The RWCMD building is a fine piece of architecture - it really does blend the park in to the city. its striking and makes good use of materials.

the university building itself is the custard slices of all cakes. it truly is a beautiful building.

the Atrium is my favourite build in the past 20 or so years taking a rather anodyne building and turning it into something far more interesting.

You appear to have caught camboitis taking everything I say too literally. When I mentioned lack of ambition here in Wales, I was referring to a £450m campus coming up with nothing more than this

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM