CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whatever happened to....?

I hope noone minds a new topic but as I looked out across the Bay I wondered whatever happened to the balloon we were going to have. Then I wondered about all the other wonderful things that never quite materialised.

Re: Whatever happened to....?

the glass needle...

It's just the nature of development. Some thing happen - others don't. Over the years Cardiff's had more "lucky escapes" than disappointments. The city would be pretty much unliveable had either the Buchanan Plan or Centreplan 70 come to fruition.

Jantra
the glass needle...

you beat me to it!!

tom ince?

What were the Buchanan Plan, and Centreplan 70?

Hook road

TheLordcrow
What were the Buchanan Plan, and Centreplan 70?

The Buchanan Plan involved the "hook road" from the city centre to Eastern Avenue and the "Llantrisant radial" from Western Avenue to a proposed new town at Llantrisant. They would have involved demolition of large parts of Cathays, Lakeside, Cyncoed & Llandaff.

Centreplan 70 was a plan for the city centre. Some of the suggestions were sensible and have actually come to pass. These include Boulevarde des Nantes, Saint's David's etc but the plan also involved widespread demolition of Victorian buildings and their replacement with mid twentieth century tat.

You can watch a cut-down version of the Centreplan promotional film here.

http://vimeo.com/7384040

There's a scan of the plans here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=521669

Thank goodness for nimbys eh.?

Back in the days of the tube showing plans ode cardiff bay, before the barrage or anything, I'm sure I remember an "underwater restaurant " being mentioned.

I'm not sure what you'd see down there mind you.

Does anyone else remember that, or have I imagined it.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM