CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ITV Wales to move (unsurprisingly) to Cardiff Bay

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2013-08-21/itv-cymru-wales-to-re-locate-to-cardiff-bay/

Re: ITV Wales to move (unsurprisingly) to Cardiff Bay

3 Assembly Square.

Excellent news. With the studios there hopefully the beeb will think of this as the natural home for them. We could end up with a media district right next to the politicians. All good stuff.

How full will number 3 be now? Will this be enough for aviva to embark on the next phase or are they waiting for a tenant first? Surely the bbc would want a prominent building,numbers 2 and 4 can be joined iirc so would be enough for their requirements

11,000 square feet, which is even smaller than the 20,000 square feet that I'd heard mentioned before. Apparently it will house 100 staff, which gives a density of 1 person per 100 square feet. That is fairly typical for office accomodation, but suggests there will be very little in the way of studio facilities - probably just a small news room.

Really does show how small an operation ITV Wales now is. Its a shame, as it leaves only the BBC with serious operations in Wales. I'm pretty young but still remember when "HTV" used to have some Welsh-based content. ITV is now thoroughly a Granada/Carlton animal.

ITV Wales only really make the news now. I'm surprised they have as many as 100 staff.

The largest studio at Culverhouse has been leased out since the early 90's - I wonder if there's studio capacity elsewhere as the current studios are earmarked for housing.

There is a brief overview of their output on the link below. The info is one year old now.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2012-04-03/itv-wales-key-facts/

Simon_SW11
ITV Wales only really make the news now. I'm surprised they have as many as 100 staff.
The largest studio at Culverhouse has been leased out since the early 90's - I wonder if there's studio capacity elsewhere as the current studios are earmarked for housing.

Enfys have a couple of TV studios in Portmanmor Road. That's where "Only Connect" is made.

Simon_SW11

Is it likely that the Culverhouse Studios will be demolished and replaced with housing?

Quite likely as there's a planning application in for that now, being considered on 4th Sept.

I'm really pleased they are moving there. For some stupid reason I thought they'd be after a new building of their own, I hadn't thought about how small their output is these days and as a result they just have 100 staff.

Still, I think it's an important move for that part of the bay and the city in general. It obviously helps out the Cardiff Waterside scheme and hopefully the BBC will go for the remaining plots at Assembly Square. On top of that it does add to the current and planned media schemes down there. It's the beginning of a cluster of organisations down there hopefully.

RandomComment

Really does show how small an operation ITV Wales now is. Its a shame, as it leaves only the BBC with serious operations in Wales. I'm pretty young but still remember when "HTV" used to have some Welsh-based content. ITV is now thoroughly a Granada/Carlton animal.

Yet they still manage to produce Fishlock's Wales, which is far better than any Welsh interest program BBC Egg with all their resources have produced in recent years.

The episodes about the Senghenydd disaster and the history of Welsh boxing were outstanding.

http://vimeo.com/68643102

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNcP1IbSxtAh

Glen
Yet they still manage to produce Fishlock's Wales, which is far better than any Welsh interest program BBC Egg with all their resources have produced in recent years.

I think I'm right in saying that Fishlock's Wales is produced by an indie not ITV itself.

Ash
Glen

I think I'm right in saying that Fishlock's Wales is produced by an indie not ITV itself.

That post made me wonder if this relocation, plus hopefully the BBC and S4C would attract these small companies down there as well.

I assumed it was these small businesses that were occupying the new media building under construction?

Kyle
Ash
Glen

That post made me wonder if this relocation, plus hopefully the BBC and S4C would attract these small companies down there as well.

ITV Wales has more regional programming than any other ITV Plc owned region, and to be fair they still produce/commission some quality programming (a miracle given the destruction of ITV regional tv)

A lot of regional programming doesn't require studio space these days as they're along the lines of Fishlock's or The Ferret, which is recorded on location.

The plan is to have a news studio in the corner of the newsroom which overlooks the bay, in the same style as the new ITV Granada news studio in Manchester:

That cheap looking set is the news studio of the once mighty Granada? For shame ITV! For shame!

I suppose ITV Wales can look forward to a "studio" consisting of a laptop and webcam.

I'd suggest that they move the desk forward a bit. There's an accident just waiting to happen with that chair castor so close to the edge...

For those interested in TV archaeology there's a great archive piece on YouTube about the extention of the Pontcanna studios following the TWW rescue of WWN/Teledu Cymru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Rs1i-Gk6I

Ash
For those interested in TV archaeology there's a great archive piece on YouTube about the extention of the Pontcanna studios following the TWW rescue of WWN/Teledu Cymru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Rs1i-Gk6I

That's brilliant! Thanks for that. It's got the construction of the St.Hilary transmitter on it too. That's the transmitter than carries practically nothing these days. I wonder why it's still operational to be honest. It's practically a stone's throw from Wenvoe anyway.

It was quite poignant watching that video of such optimism, knowing the way TWW were shafted a few years later, and of course knowing what has eventually become of all the ITV regions subsequently to where we are today.

ITV is a classic example of how regulation is sometimes needed to protect entities from themselves. "Liberation" has resulted in a downward spiral of lowest common denominator programming, ridiculously large advert to programme ratio, and consequently, over the years, the shedding of viewers.

simon__200
ITV is a classic example of how regulation is sometimes needed to protect entities from themselves. "Liberation" has resulted in a downward spiral of lowest common denominator programming, ridiculously large advert to programme ratio, and consequently, over the years, the shedding of viewers.

I'm not so sure, it was always populist drivel peppered with a few hours of quality TV a year wasn't it?

AMoore
simon__200

I'm not so sure, it was always populist drivel peppered with a few hours of quality TV a year wasn't it?

It used to make some quality TV, and proper investigative journalism. World in Action, TV eye, First Tuesday, etc. Plus some proper pioneering shows from the big franchises like Thunderbirds from ATV (ITC was an ATV subsidiary), for example. Hard to imagine anything like that happening in the current ITV hierarchy.

simon__200
AMoore
simon__200

It used to make some quality TV, and proper investigative journalism. World in Action, TV eye, First Tuesday, etc. Plus some proper pioneering shows from the big franchises like Thunderbirds from ATV (ITC was an ATV subsidiary), for example. Hard to imagine anything like that happening in the current ITV hierarchy.

It's all a case of taste, but in terms of what the world is watching now, ITV in recent years has still pioneered with things like The X Factor and Millionaire, and lots of ITV shows are remade around the world. I'd agree that investigative journalism is thin on the ground, but not so long back their Exposure on Jimmy Saville made the headlines in a huge way.

simon__200

Radio is even worse. Local commercial radio used to have around 60% of the audience in south Wales. These days pretend local radio has about 30% of the audience but is far more profitable.

AMoore

It's all a case of taste, but in terms of what the world is watching now, ITV in recent years has still pioneered with things like The X Factor and Millionaire, and lots of ITV shows are remade around the world. I'd agree that investigative journalism is thin on the ground, but not so long back their Exposure on Jimmy Saville made the headlines in a huge way.

You are missing the point. It's not about what ITV do now it's about the local/regional/national structure. The contrast with Ireland is stark. Commercial local radio station licences in Ireland are worth millions because they are forced to be local and have huge audiences. The "local" UK radio stations are worth far less because they have been allowed to become juke boxes. It's a failure of regulation.

Not strictly speaking Cardiff, but plans to build 243 homes on the (soon to be vacated) ITV studios site at Culverhouse Cross has been narrowly rejected by VoG Councillors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-24662938

What's the plan for the site then? Let it sit three-quarters empty? Let the empty building deteriorate? Watch as the tenants slowly drift down to Cardiff bay and the developing media hub at Porth Teigr?

RandomComment
What's the plan for the site then? Let it sit three-quarters empty? Let the empty building deteriorate? Watch as the tenants slowly drift down to Cardiff bay and the developing media hub at Porth Teigr?

Perhaps VoG are thinking this site, with such excellent transport links, would be better suited to a big retail outlet - such as a Tesco, M&S, or Currys/PC World, B&Q, Homebase... Oh wait!

murfilicious
RandomComment

Perhaps VoG are thinking this site, with such excellent transport links, would be better suited to a big retail outlet - such as a Tesco, M&S, or Currys/PC World, B&Q, Homebase... Oh wait!

Excellent transport links? Someone hasn't sat for hours bumper to bumper at Culver then.

The VoG council can't even get the traffic light sequence right on Culverhouse Cross Roundabout, traffic stretching back to Barry in the morning, while other routes to the Culver' are clear.

Maybe the VoG Councillors are going to turn the studios into a Brewery for a party, oh wait they definitely won't be able to organise that one!

I have heard some of the tenants have already plans to move out, Town and Country Radio group thinking about moving to the mast at St Hilary.

AMoore
Excellent transport links? Someone hasn't sat for hours bumper to bumper at Culver then.

The whole comment was tongue in cheek

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM