CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How others see us and how we see ourselves

Just some perspective.

Cardiff is the best city for young people to live in, due to a combination of job opportunities, high wages and low cost of living, according a new poll. Seventy per cent of those surveyed in the Welsh capital said that they loved their current job, where people earn on average £21,585 per year. A similar amount of people were satisfied with their work-life balance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardiff-tops-list-of-best-uk-cities-for-young-people-8853958.html

Leeds can learn lessons from Belfast and Cardiff in how it markets itself to international investors, according to the head of banking lobby group The City UK. Speaking to the Yorkshire Post from the Conservative Party conference in Manchester, Chris Cummings said Leeds has a huge amount to offer but is currently not one of the leading two or three cities in near-shoring financial services. He singled out the examples of Belfast and Cardiff as good examples of regional centres with strong messages and very clear propositions.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/business-news/leeds-can-learn-from-ireland-and-wales-says-banking-lobby-1-6100569

Re: How others see us and how we see ourselves

Leeds is the third largest finance centre after London and Edinburgh and is the second largest business, professional and financial services centre after London. Leeds has nothing to learn from either Belfast or Cardiff. What a stupid comment by Chris Cummings

Jantra
Leeds is the third largest finance centre after London and Edinburgh

I know. It's an odd article and standpoint. If Cardiff is "building its own version of Canary Wharf" I haven't spotted it! The reason I linked to the story is because it's interesting to see how we're perceived - even if those perceptions seem off-beam.

Jantra
Leeds is the third largest finance centre after London and Edinburgh and is the second largest business, professional and financial services centre after London. Leeds has nothing to learn from either Belfast or Cardiff. What a stupid comment by Chris Cummings

So, someone who is from Leeds and works in Leeds, who is trying to promote Leeds and is a spokesman for a banking lobby group, has made a "stupid comment".

Have you read the article? He is commending Cardiff's enterprise zone for financial services and Cardiff's desire to complement rather than compete with the City, neither of which Leeds is doing according to Mr Cummings.

I am not surprised that the No 1 Cardiff-hater and self-appointed banking expert, Jantra has failed to comprehend a simple article. (Funny how that banking expert Jantra didn't go to a conference on banking in Cardiff even though he was offered a free ticket).

But I am surprised that Ash agreed with the Manc Troll.

He's hardly a Cardiff hater FFS, total opposite in fact, it's just that some people see his comments in the wrong way.

I do think you've missed the point on what the bloke was saying though Jantra, absolutely nobody has compared Leeds with Cardiff in terms of where it is at the moment or where it's likely to be in terms of the number of quality of financial services jobs.

I've spent a lot of time in Leeds over the years with work and on social visits and yes, Cardiff is light years behind Leeds commercially. You'd have to be downright fucking stupid and blind not to see that. You've only got to approach the city by train to see the evidence that more is going on in that regard.

I'm not convinced yet on this enterprise zone as we haven't attracted a single new company or built many speculative offices as part of it, and I won't be until I see shiny new offices completed and occupied by new rather than relocated from elsewhere In the city jobs. There does seem to be an effort to do something about that. I don't know how that effort is perceived by those that matter at organisations that are likely to expand their businesses outside of Wales, which is all that REALLY maters actually, but if this guy seems to think a decent job is being done to at least try and attract new business then it's not a bad thing is it? He's an outsider after all, and it's views from people like that which are important. It's no good our politicians or people like us close to the city think everything is great (or shit) because our views are a little distorted.

There's a long long way to go until we can compare ourselves with some of the big regional cities such as Bristol, Leeds and Manchester, at least as far as business is concerned, but it's positive to read any good news story.

Leeds has got a shit football team though.

Kyle
He's hardly a Cardiff hater FFS, total opposite in fact, it's just that some people see his comments in the wrong way.

I do think you've missed the point on what the bloke was saying though Jantra, absolutely nobody has compared Leeds with Cardiff in terms of where it is at the moment or where it's likely to be in terms of the number of quality of financial services jobs.

I've spent a lot of time in Leeds over the years with work and on social visits and yes, Cardiff is light years behind Leeds commercially. You'd have to be downright fucking stupid and blind not to see that. You've only got to approach the city by train to see the evidence that more is going on in that regard.

I'm not convinced yet on this enterprise zone as we haven't attracted a single new company or built many speculative offices as part of it, and I won't be until I see shiny new offices completed and occupied by new rather than relocated from elsewhere In the city jobs. There does seem to be an effort to do something about that. I don't know how that effort is perceived by those that matter at organisations that are likely to expand their businesses outside of Wales, which is all that REALLY maters actually, but if this guy seems to think a decent job is being done to at least try and attract new business then it's not a bad thing is it? He's an outsider after all, and it's views from people like that which are important. It's no good our politicians or people like us close to the city think everything is great (or shit) because our views are a little distorted.

There's a long long way to go until we can compare ourselves with some of the big regional cities such as Bristol, Leeds and Manchester, at least as far as business is concerned, but it's positive to read any good news story.

Leeds has got a shit football team though.

I think that he is a Cardiff-hater.

'FFS FFS'

I lived in West Yorkshire for years and your analysis of where Leeds and Cardiff are based on the approach on the train is laughable. Leeds is double the size of Cardiff but to say it is far ahead commercially is just your opinion. Where are your figures to back up your assertion?

Cardiff has a much larger media sector and a comparable retail offering. Leeds has some very large law firms and some financial services hqs. Find the GVA/GDP per head figures for Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff and then try and back up your claim or your mate Jantra's.

You won't be able to do that as the figures won't back up your flawed assertion.

Are people in Leeds saying "we are really not doing very well. Look at London, they are miles ahead of us. You can see that from the train."?

I doubt it, because they don't have the self-hating negativity that many Welsh people possess. Cardiff is a successful city. Leeds is a successful city. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive despite what some mentally ill people say or write.

H M Arsée
Jantra

So, someone who is from Leeds and works in Leeds, who is trying to promote Leeds and is a spokesman for a banking lobby group, has made a "stupid comment".

Have you read the article? He is commending Cardiff's enterprise zone for financial services and Cardiff's desire to complement rather than compete with the City, neither of which Leeds is doing according to Mr Cummings.

I am not surprised that the No 1 Cardiff-hater and self-appointed banking expert, Jantra has failed to comprehend a simple article. (Funny how that banking expert Jantra didn't go to a conference on banking in Cardiff even though he was offered a free ticket).

But I am surprised that Ash agreed with the Manc Troll.

good grief, your thinking is skewed somewhat. how can anyone commend the enterprize zone? what exactly has it achieved in its two year existence? Not one single relocation within the city never mind a relocation from outside. That is not criticising Cardiff, that is making a statement of fact.

As Kyle says, if you arrive by train in to Leeds you have 20 and 30 storey buildings all around you (and not just a few as you do on Cardiff's approach). Leeds is way ahead and its the second business centre in the UK. Why would it need to learn from Cardiff or Belfast when its aim is to compete in whatever way it can with London. Leeds is more than capable of attracting law firms, accountancy firms, financial service firms and so on without having to look at the runaway success of Cardiff's enterprize zone.

Wanting Cardiff to be successful is not mutually exclusive with appreciating Cardiff and its politicians have a long way to go before they can compete with cities such as Leeds, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham. Just because we are a capital city of a province of the UK does not make us important in the UK context. We have to earn that right and so far our politicians have done nothing to get new business here.

NB it was not a conference on banking it was a lecture on the merits of public sector banking. giving the audience and the fact that Arian Cyrmu were already promoting Plaid's message in May of this year I would have thought the nature and intention of the lecture was pretty clear cut. it wasn't as if people were going in with an open mind.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/regional-accounts/regional-gross-value-added--income-approach-/december-2010/rft-nuts3.xls

Jantra,your ridiculous anecdotal 'analysis' is less rigorous than a Namibian driving test. Look at Table 2 on this xls and you will see that Cardiff and the Vale's GVA per head is marginally below Leeds' and Manchester's and marginally above Birmingham's, Liverpool's, Newcastle's and Sheffield's. Compared to London's all of the UK cities are as rubbish as your 'anal'ysis. You don't even live in Cardiff so please shut up. Can't you join a Vale forum?

Look at house prices in Cardiff and compare them to other UK cities.

Find a MEASURE which shows that Cardiff is doing badly compared to your beloved English cities.

Cardiff is beautiful whereas Manchester and Leeds are as ugly as their women (especially the mancunian munters).

I’m not sure what I’m meant to be looking at since there are 18 worksheets. I’ve taken GVA per capita from worksheet ‘table 3.2’. Leeds is 22.671 and Cardiff’s is 20.864. Leeds has 8.7% higher GVA per capita. I also seem to remember that Wales has 1 public sector worker for every 3 private sector worker whereas England has a ratio of 1:4. Not only that but Cardiff has a higher than average ratio in the Welsh context. Whilst public sector workers don’t directly contribute to GVA they will stimulate local demand with their wages. Basically, without the public sector Cardiff and Wales would be a lot lower than it is.

you also need to appreciate that the metrics only go up to 2009. I reckon that since Cardiff is far more reliant on public sector work than Leeds, the resultant metrics will widen as we move towards 2013. this is pure speculation on my part of course.

My evidence is anecdotal but quite often you can only go on what you can see. You should never form the basis of your argument on statistics alone (the average person will have 1.992 arms and even less legs. A statistician will tell you if you sleep with your feet in a fridge and head in an oven on average you’ll feel comfortable). Leeds is a big city – twice the size of Cardiff. Leeds has many big businesses located there with divisional offices that Cardiff cannot hope to have at this stage of its evolution. That isn’t a criticism of Cardiff, that is just pointing out where we are in our development.

Perhaps you could try and appreciate that seeing Cardiff has shortcomings is very different from thinking Cardiff has no potential. If you think we are fulfilling our potential then you’re mistaken. We are nowhere near what we can achieve.

can you also define success? you have provided GVA as a measure so i'm going to take a punt on you mean wealth. So you think Cardiff is wealthy vis a vis successful. Just so we can understand this wealth, can you let us know when Central Square - the main entry point and first impression of Cardiff most visitors will have - is going to be brought into the 1980s? Cardiff has done well in many respects, but its council has no money, its flagship enterprize zone can't attract any businesses, assembly square - the home of its national government - has empty office space and derelict land next to it, its prime CBD development is 15 years in the making and only half complete.

It would be useful to have a dose of realism in what it is we can expect from Cardiff at this stage. we don't have a rampant private sector, we are subsidised with public sector jobs over and above even the Welsh average. businesses tend to see the city as a call centre capital and not a place to send your best and brightest talent. Leeds and other similar cities have plenty of speculative development going on as the developers have faith that business will be interested in the final product. Our only speculative development in Cardiff has been on go slow for three years such is the fear of having to pay empty building rates as no business has expressed an interest.

NB your final comments are petty. You know full well my wife is from Manchester so we’ll leave your petty playground insults and put them to one side for now. If you can’t discuss sensibly then perhaps you need to leave this threads for the adults and go and post on the one direction thread instead.

Jantra
I’m not sure what I’m meant to be looking at since there are 18 worksheets. I’ve taken GVA per capita from worksheet ‘table 3.2’. Leeds is 22.671 and Cardiff’s is 20.864. Leeds has 8.7% higher GVA per capita. I also seem to remember that Wales has 1 public sector worker for every 3 private sector worker whereas England has a ratio of 1:4. Not only that but Cardiff has a higher than average ratio in the Welsh context. Whilst public sector workers don’t directly contribute to GVA they will stimulate local demand with their wages. Basically, without the public sector Cardiff and Wales would be a lot lower than it is.

you also need to appreciate that the metrics only go up to 2009. I reckon that since Cardiff is far more reliant on public sector work than Leeds, the resultant metrics will widen as we move towards 2013. this is pure speculation on my part of course.

My evidence is anecdotal but quite often you can only go on what you can see. You should never form the basis of your argument on statistics alone (the average person will have 1.992 arms and even less legs. A statistician will tell you if you sleep with your feet in a fridge and head in an oven on average you’ll feel comfortable). Leeds is a big city – twice the size of Cardiff. Leeds has many big businesses located there with divisional offices that Cardiff cannot hope to have at this stage of its evolution. That isn’t a criticism of Cardiff, that is just pointing out where we are in our development.

Perhaps you could try and appreciate that seeing Cardiff has shortcomings is very different from thinking Cardiff has no potential. If you think we are fulfilling our potential then you’re mistaken. We are nowhere near what we can achieve.

can you also define success? you have provided GVA as a measure so i'm going to take a punt on you mean wealth. So you think Cardiff is wealthy vis a vis successful. Just so we can understand this wealth, can you let us know when Central Square - the main entry point and first impression of Cardiff most visitors will have - is going to be brought into the 1980s? Cardiff has done well in many respects, but its council has no money, its flagship enterprize zone can't attract any businesses, assembly square - the home of its national government - has empty office space and derelict land next to it, its prime CBD development is 15 years in the making and only half complete.

It would be useful to have a dose of realism in what it is we can expect from Cardiff at this stage. we don't have a rampant private sector, we are subsidised with public sector jobs over and above even the Welsh average. businesses tend to see the city as a call centre capital and not a place to send your best and brightest talent. Leeds and other similar cities have plenty of speculative development going on as the developers have faith that business will be interested in the final product. Our only speculative development in Cardiff has been on go slow for three years such is the fear of having to pay empty building rates as no business has expressed an interest.

NB your final comments are petty. You know full well my wife is from Manchester so we’ll leave your petty playground insults and put them to one side for now. If you can’t discuss sensibly then perhaps you need to leave this threads for the adults and go and post on the one direction thread instead.

On CCMB, when someone started a thread yesterday praising Cardiff you very quickly questioned the findings. You have a pathological dislike of Wales and Cardiff.

YOU are guilty of looking through rose-tinted spectacles at these English cities. Their economies are very similar to Cardiff's, as the tables on my link showed. Leeds has more high-rise buildings because it is a much bigger city.

Per capita, Cardiff is doing ok. It's a great place to live for most people who live here. We live in a rich country. We are lucky.

I had no idea that you had a wife, let alone that she was from Manchester. Poor you. If she's anything like the pot-bellied, yellow-toothed, orange skinned, platinum blonde fish-wives and harridans that I've encountered in that northern shit hole then it doesn't surprise me that you spend all of your time arguing on the internet rather than ploughing that squalid furrow.

H M Arsée

Jantra,your ridiculous anecdotal 'analysis' is less rigorous than a Namibian driving test......

Why Namibia? What about DR Congo?

H M Arsée
Cardiff is beautiful whereas Manchester and Leeds are as ugly as their women (especially the mancunian munters).

You really should take off those 'rose-colored spectacles'. When I walked round Cardiff recently, there were more 'munters' than not!!

That is a quality rant that says quite a lot about your mysogynism and xenophobia. However can we out a pin in it and let it hang there for a while - we will come back to your issues later. In the meantime is there any chance you could answer the points raised?

Jantra
That is a quality rant that says quite a lot about your mysogynism and xenophobia. However can we out a pin in it and let it hang there for a while - we will come back to your issues later. In the meantime is there any chance you could answer the points raised?

Can you remember any posts on CCMB where you denigrate actual, rather than notional, women? How do you know that I'm not a woman?

The xls tables will give you some answers if you can be bothered to look at them. The whole UK outside London and the SE is absolutely crap using your criteria, not enough skyscrapers and full of rubbish politicians and red tape.

Do you know how unintelligent you appear, Brainiac?

H M Arsée
Jantra

Can you remember any posts on CCMB where you denigrate actual, rather than notional, women? How do you know that I'm not a woman?

The xls tables will give you some answers if you can be bothered to look at them. The whole UK outside London and the SE is absolutely crap using your criteria, not enough skyscrapers and full of rubbish politicians and red tape.

Do you know how unintelligent you appear, Brainiac?

That's about it really.

NB you're not a woman. Women wouldn't address other wonen in the terms you use.

Oh God, what have I started?

Ash
Oh God, what have I started?

Not your fault, but the toxicity (if such a word exists?) on here is reaching unhealthy levels!! - certainly not what I hoped for the place Of course pretty much any thread can be geared to this conversation in which case this forum is doomed I tell you - DOOMED!!
Now that's a shame as us lovers of all things cardiff - concrete - and if we're lucky steel and glass are gonna miss out! So can we ease off on the vitriol please.

Some of us do try and keep it civil Paul

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM