CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Street Bridge

Anyone know what is going on opposite Century Wharf on the James Street Bridge?

Re: James Street Bridge

Do you mean where a big hole has suddenly appeared in the streetscape? I'm sorry I don't know but I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

Apologies in advance for this being a less than useful answer

Do you mean Clarence Road Bridge?

Baywatcher
Do you mean Clarence Road Bridge?

Pedant! It's where James Street meets Clarence Road on what was known in olden days as "Rat Island" - a name unadopted by developers for some reason.

No idea what's going on - could just be the demolition of an unsafe building.

I've only ever known it as Clarence Road bridge but knew what was meant. thinking about it, James Street runs from the bridge to the Millennium Centre and the road opposite (by the garage) is Corporation Road. Or so I thought....

where is Clarence Road?

edit:
i've looked on google maps and can see that Clarence Road runs from the kink in the road where it meets James Street to the roundabout with Corporation Road and Avondale Road

Planning permission had been granted a few years ago for flats if I recall correctly - on the old warehouse(?) and on the church to the rear.

I assume it is that development.

I thought Clarence Road ran from Dumballs road to the junction with Corporation Road. I never saw the swing bridge open though.

Bowles Dredging was on the left coming from Dumballs Road after the bridge

it's properly known as Clarence Bridge

when I was a kid in the 60s we called it the Green Bridge - it was rebuilt in the 70s

http://www.movablebridges.org.uk/BridgePage.asp?BridgeNumber=369

So does anyone know what is going on south of Clarence Street Bridge on the Docks side of the Taff - they were pile driving

Building my garage

The warehouse wasnt much of a loss, but he church was a shame

_MG_0022

_MG_0020

Capel Annibynwyr y Dociau.

It is a sad loss but attitudes towards non-conformist chapels have improved. I think we've passed the low-point in terms of destuction of chapels.

Cardiff
The warehouse wasnt much of a loss, but he church was a shame

_MG_0022

_MG_0020

That was my first Sunday School - it closed down while I was still a kid

Slim Bola
So does anyone know what is going on south of Clarence Street Bridge on the Docks side of the Taff - they were pile driving

Sorry - It's flats

City Living on the Taff is getting ever so popular -its the sort of development that I like to see occuring.... how many flats have they had permission to build and who is building it?
Any correspondance on this be grateful like..... Named us all after this river - my avcent got this water all over it

Slim Bola
City Living on the Taff is getting ever so popular -its the sort of development that I like to see occuring.... how many flats have they had permission to build and who is building it?
Any correspondance on this be grateful like..... Named us all after this river - my avcent got this water all over it

It is noticeable that in most cities, the riverfront areas are often the most desirable.
Yet in cardiff there is a stark difference. Riverside, Grangetown, ely, tremorfa, llanrumney all being on rivers

Could it be that when cardiff was being built the taff, ely and rhymney were less than pleasant to be around, due to massive heavy industry and scant regard for the environment of the age?

It is noticeable that in most cities, the riverfront areas are often the most desirable.

You have not visited Newport then!

Ash
Capel Annibynwyr y Dociau.

It is a sad loss but attitudes towards non-conformist chapels have improved. I think we've passed the low-point in terms of destuction of chapels.

Interesting comment on the eve of the day the Welsh Faith Tourism strategy was launched. Worth £12m in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24668455

Top five places of worship in Wales, 2011

St Davids Cathedral - 262,000 visitors

Norwegian Church, Cardiff Bay - 148,547

Brecon Cathedral and Heritage Centre - 120,000

Tintern Abbey - 69,631

Llandaff Cathedral - 40,372

Zach

You have not visited Newport then!

Ah yes, but the usk would have been equally awful around the Time Newport was growing.

colour wolf
Slim Bola

Yet in cardiff there is a stark difference. Riverside, Grangetown, ely, tremorfa, llanrumney all being on rivers

Could it be that when cardiff was being built the taff, ely and rhymney were less than pleasant to be around, due to massive heavy industry and scant regard for the environment of the age?

Not sure about Ely and Llanrumney, I suppose that's just coincidence that the estates were built in those directions. The inner city areas though would certainly have been less-desirable in the industrial and especially the post-industrial era - at least until the regeneration and renewal kicks in. I'd say this would be the same in most industrial cities, the riverfronts only became desirable once heavy industry ceased and the land and water was cleaned up (thinking Plymouth, Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Newcastle, Sunderland, Liverpool etc). Whereas the historically pleasant riverfronts would have not been so industrial. Noticeably, inland cities/towns would have more likely had their industry centred on railways and canals rather than rivers and (obviously) estuaries.

I am not aware of any desireable living on the Rummney Riverside - There are some apartments at the mouth of the Ely... the Clarence Bridge development is between Century Wharf and Sand Wharf - any idea how substanial this development will be?
Is there any plans for more Riversode developments in Cardiff?

I can't remember how many flats this will be, but it's not likely to be much more than a couple of dozen, if that. And from memory, they won't really be riverside, as they'll either face James Street or the side-street where the church is/was.

Shame nobody is more forthcoming with info on this build.
I prefer these builds to those on a bigger scale and I would like to know how many storeys its planned to be?

Check out the design and access statement for a render - absolutely horrendous. I would have preferred a derelict warehouse remained, that little church was also very pretty.

Lots of objections - Had a quick look and one made me chuckle.

"Furthermore the development will be overlooking a children's play area....I imagine other parents would be uncomfortable knowing their children could be watched or even photographed by adults in their rooms as they play. Of course it would be impractical for residents of the proposed development to be vetted so this does remain a very possible situation. I also feel this particular objection poses an interesting angle for the media."

Watch out kids there is a peado on every corner!

Carlos
Check out the design and access statement for a render - absolutely horrendous.

It reminds me a bit of the Magistrates Court near the prison, just in grey instead of mustard.

Rather worrying is the excerpt from the design and access statement- "The design for this proposal has been carried out with sensitivity, it takes account of the surrounding environment. Good quality materials will be used. It is believed the proposals will provide high quality apartments with spacious living areas with large balconies."

Has someone forget to cross check this statement to the artists impression - there aren't any balconies that I can see?

What fascinates me is the total lack of any artistic sensibilities by the architects. But I dont suppose a single one of them has any form of aesthetics built into them. I look at Horizon at Prospect Place and wonder how anyone can design such a building guaranteed to be incredibly unattractive. Not once has an architect remotely considered that this must be one of the most desirable locations in Wales. So Bellway go out of their way to ensure that not one apartment is really desirable.

Possibly I may be unfair to them and that the real culprits are the Council Planning Department.

I agree. Everything down there is crap. Prospect Place, Windsor Quay, Watermark. The list goes on. How do these people get away with it? Watermark for example is just a concrete monstrosity more suited to the Soviet era. When will we have 'design'??

I quite like watermark. It's curves are quite Art Deco. Certainly better than some of the blocks we have seen. The main issue is the stucco render - crap. That's the problem with most modern builds - the finishing is poor. Years gone by you'd have ornate design and finishing. You'd have thought with modern design and build techniques it would be cheaper to have such intricate designs incorporated but seemingly this is not the case.

Modern high density residential buildings are designed from the inside out. You have to look at them from the perspective of living inside the flats. The Watermark flats on the water side are stunning when inside them. Prospect Place is just plain cheap, designed to maximise builder revenue.

For those who are interested, check out the Bayscape floorplans in the Design and Access Statement at http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_105194
The end flats on the river and 2 story penthouses will be quite something.

Must admit when I looked over Watermark when first built, the top apartments were very nice. The others - particularly those facing Morrisons - were very cramped. I looked at Prospect Place too. Most apartments I visited seemed larger than most I'd seen at Watermark. Celestia didn't impress me either. They were smaller than Prospect Place. In the end, I didn't move to any of them as my job took me away from Cardiff for which (re apartment living) I am most grateful!

Smiffy
I agree. Everything down there is crap. Prospect Place, Windsor Quay, Watermark. The list goes on. How do these people get away with it? Watermark for example is just a concrete monstrosity more suited to the Soviet era. When will we have 'design'??

Hey, Windsor Quay's not too bad.

I was sure you were speaking with sarcasm, most developments are quite nice in the bay. If they were that bad people wouldnt live there. I am especially surprised by Watermark as i find it one of the more attractive developments in the bay.

Watermark

DSC_0004

Were never going to get London quality developments because the locals wont pay the premium, but compared to other regional cities we do really well having no real modern eyesores.

I agree. I'm always proud to take guests out on the bay to show them our fantastic redevelopment. Some people in Cardiff don't appreciate what we have!

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM