CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
We Are Cardiff: Portrait Of A City (film)

Has anyone seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tE3DsJGqqE

What's are your thoughts?

Re: We Are Cardiff: Portrait Of A City (film)

I really liked it.

Speaking as somebody who hasn't lived here from birth, I do seem to think that Cardiffians are very self-depreciative when it comes to their city, and they don't always see the good things about it.

That girl said "We came here for uni, and we just never went home", which is pretty fitting actually. I know a lot of people from all around the world who have made this place home either because of job opportunities, or because Cardiff simply has more to offer than where they come from.

I will watch that film later. Cardiff is a great city. Our founding fathers laid down some iconic buildings and beautiful city parks. We have some fine late Victorian/Edwardian architecture along with some interesting modern developments. We have a lot to offer culturally (impressionist art anyone!) and we also have the bay. Mermaid quay on a hot summers day is as good as any urban regeneration development in the uk. We also the home of the bluebirds and are the capital city of Gods little garden

I watched it. I thought was was very well put together and its very interesting here hear what non cardiffians have to say about our city.

My other comment is Bethany - the welsh speaker. My experience of welsh tends to come from listening in learner classes so its probably not spoken there as it would be in every day life. Whenever I hear welsh spoken by someone who is fluent, I always think its a beautiful language to listen too - almost with a rhythmic poetry - even if i can only understand parts of it

Enjoyed it a lot.

I am not wholly Cardiff but I wouldn't live anywhere else. I have been to lots of places and every time I pass the Tredegar House junction on the M4, start the small incline up to J29 I always thank whatever Gods may be that I am back. Gabalfa is the cream on the cake ....... I know, I know.

TheLordcrow
Speaking as somebody who hasn't lived here from birth, I do seem to think that Cardiffians are very self-depreciative when it comes to their city, and they don't always see the good things about it.

Older Cardiffians seem to hate the changes, and all the students/foreign people settling here. It's a bit hypocritical as if Cardiff wasn't as welcoming 60 odd years ago, those old residents probably wouldn't have stayed as long.

When did immigrants start coming to the city in large numbers anyway?

I know that there had always been a fairly sizeable immigrant community down the bay.

Went to the premiere of this at Chapter (one very hot day this summer!) and I even spotted myself in it during the part shot at the start of Photomarathon at the WMC!

I moved here from Cornwall back in 2005 and if I was forced to move to another city in the UK I think I’d struggle to find somewhere that has quite the same balance as Cardiff.

It has the ability to be big, whilst feeling small and familiar. It can be crazy busy, loud and noisy whilst also having a green, quiet and sedate side. It also manages to pull off a neat trick of being a city/capital by the sea, but is not a 'British Seaside' resort! But it is the friendliest place I’ve ever lived, and if I ever leave it would only be to go to somewhere warmer and drier than the UK!!!

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM