CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Guided Busway

This is a very odd proposal as an alternative to the M4 relief road;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/guided-busway-answer-linking-swansea-6595130

I don't see how this could be an alternative, it's just for specially made buses. What about cars, lorries, coaches and vans? I've never seen any big bus jams on the M4 through Newport.

You couldn't drive down it during an M4 closure so not really the solution to that scenario either.

Re: Guided Busway

Very odd and completely unnecessary for the M4.

Getting traffic around Cardiff as a low-cost version of the proposed Metro however - now maybe we are on to something! Rather than reopening the old railway line from Fairwater to Creigiau as a railway line, these could be used instead.

Similar ones could be installed on old country lanes and closed railway lines around the city to improve links, Such as one running from St Mellons Business Park - Old St Mellons - St Edeyrn's and on to Cardiff Gate.

Don't get me wrong I'd still prefer the metro, but this could be a cheaper alternative.

I'm not sure if it's cheaper, the Cambridge guided busway cost £181m for 16 miles!!

murfilicious
Very odd and completely unnecessary for the M4.

Getting traffic around Cardiff as a low-cost version of the proposed Metro however - now maybe we are on to something! Rather than reopening the old railway line from Fairwater to Creigiau as a railway line, these could be used instead.

Similar ones could be installed on old country lanes and closed railway lines around the city to improve links, Such as one running from St Mellons Business Park - Old St Mellons - St Edeyrn's and on to Cardiff Gate.

Don't get me wrong I'd still prefer the metro, but this could be a cheaper alternative.

What you are referring to is the Bus Rapid Transport scheme. The full details are available at the Ldp deposit plan webpage under appendix D.

Fair enough using the old track bed from Creigau to Fairwater, but the plans to put bus lanes from St Fagans rd to the city centre, excluding most road traffic (including bikes) between Victoria park and St David's hospital, is a case of the tail (Waterhall) wagging the dog (inner western Cardiff).

An utterly ridiculous scheme that would ruin Canton as a shopping cente and clog up Pencisely road, Romilly road, Cathedral road and Lansdowne Road with displaced traffic for 12 hours a day. Residents would no longer be able to park outside their homes in Fairwater, Canton and Riverside. The businesses along Cowbridge road east would all suffer.

Say no to BRT!

Can Tom
...but the plans to put bus lanes from St Fagans rd to the city centre, excluding most road traffic (including bikes) between Victoria park and St David's hospital, is a case of the tail (Waterhall) wagging the dog (inner western Cardiff).

An utterly ridiculous scheme that would ruin Canton as a shopping cente and clog up Pencisely road, Romilly road, Cathedral road and Lansdowne Road with displaced traffic for 12 hours a day...

Couldn't agree more, that element of the scheme is bonkers!

Ok lay down some special "road" that can only be used by special "buses" that run from Newport to Swansea, you what would be even better - to link several buses together so you could carry even more people. You know, a bit like a train, oh wait...

The main problem with the M4 is that it's missing one lane through Newport - fine for 40 years ago but not fit for purpose in the 21st Century. A secondary problem is that people use it to get from one side of Newport to the other.

Personally I'd build the relief road, call that the M4 and redesignate the M4 between J23 at Magor and J29 at St Mellons as the A48(M) - which would join up with the current A48(M). That way people on the M4 don't have to deal with the intra-Newport traffic, and Cardiff - Newport traffic as the new A48(M) becomes the main Cardiff - Newport road and Newport's M4 access road.

The idea of "busways" crops up now and then - but the few that have been build have proved pretty pointless.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/MP-brands-busway-a-white-elephant.htm

Essentialy busways provide tram like services - but not as well. Such a scheme would do little do allieviate the problems of the M4. As for the Cowbridge Road East bus proposals - words fail me!

Ash
The idea of "busways" crops up now and then - but the few that exist have proved pretty pointless.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/MP-brands-busway-a-white-elephant.htm

Essentialy busways provide tram like services - but not as well. Such a scheme would do little do allieviate the problems of the M4. As for the Cowbridge Road East bus proposals - words fail me!

Simon_SW17
I'm not sure if it's cheaper, the Cambridge guided busway cost £181m for 16 miles!!

Edinburgh had one, that's been converted into a tram line.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM