CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swansea's transformation goes on with next step in £25m Swansea Urban Village

Apartments, shops, businesses and restaurants in pipeline as fresh plans in Coastal Housing's £25m Urban Village submitted
Plans have been submitted for the second phase of the £25m Urban Village in Swansea
Work is expected to start later this year on the next stage of Swansea's £25m Urban Village regeneration project after plans were submitted for the second phase of the scheme.

Architect Holder Mathias has put forward proposals for the next phase of the project which will include the construction of 30,000 sq ft of commercial and office space as well as the transformation of the Kings Lane warehouse.

The first phase of Urban Village, completed in spring 2013, is already transforming Swansea High Street into a vibrant commercial environment for shopping, eating and working with shops, office space and 76 two-bedroom affordable residential apartments.

When the second phase, expected to begin construction in spring 2014, is complete, the multi-use scheme will include 76 apartments, commercial space, retail and food outlets linked by a mix of courtyard spaces.

At the centre of the development will be a creative hub which is set to be the first regeneration space in Wales to be a dedicated work space for commercial creative industries.

Terry Morley, partner at Holder Mathias, said: “We are delighted that we are moving forward with the scheme that will see the completion of this important regeneration project on which we have worked with Coastal Group for almost 15 years.

“The scheme has already had a significant impact in transforming the High Street and Strand area of Swansea while retaining the area’s historical identity, and we hope that the second phase will continue the process.

“The influx of creative industries will help rebuild the economic identity dynamic providing a vibrant place for people to live and work close to the facilities of the city centre.”

Ian Couzens, Coastal Housing Group’s interim director of development, said: “The Urban Village is already helping to regenerate High Street by attracting new businesses and increasing footfall into an area of the city which has been neglected for some time.

“As we look to start work on phase two, it’s an exciting time for the development, with the creation of a ‘Creative Cluster’ which will provide a hub for small, independent creative businesses and add to Swansea’s already growing creative landscape.

“Once complete, the Urban Village will help make High Street a destination in its own right once again and benefit Swansea’s city centre as a whole.”

Re: Swansea's transformation goes on with next step in £25m Swansea Urban Village

BLASPHEMY

Re: Swansea's transformation goes on with next step in £25m Swansea Urban Village

Jantra
BLASPHEMY
blimey we'll have a Swansea City fc appreciation thread next!! actually no we wont, rest assured that will NEVER happen!! B L U E B I R D S !

However on the Swansea development front - I can feel a swanseawalesmap forum coming on, I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if the interest would be there? (I'm sure it would be) and then todays post about the Urban Village appeared. Of course Swansea is also the home of the tallest building in Wales - I visited it last year and had a couple of pints of Brains (I hasten to add) in the Grape and Olive at the top and was envious that I could not do similar back home, the views over Swansea Bay were well worth the visit - spectacular. Anyway I've already got the domain and a map on http://www.swanseawalesmap.com/ (yes it needs plenty of work on it yet) so maybe a swansea development forum like this one could be on the horizon? I wonder if any of our western neighbours look in on this forum and would voice an opinion?

I'm interested in all development in South Wales as IMO it all impacts Cardiff and likewise development in Cardiff affects elsewhere. I'm a native of Bridgend, renting in Canton and soon to be moving permanently to Grangetown (fingers crossed) so can see the larger picture of how the M4, Severn Bridge, Railway, Rhoose Airport... heck Celtic Manor and it's convention centre plans, not just impact Cardiff but it's hinterland.

I would be interested in seeing Swansea related posts here, as I don't think there is enough interest alone to maintain a purely Swansea Bay forum (as long as the Jacks know their place

I see this as not just a Cardiff but a South Wales Development forum anywho!

Actually the proposed development that captures my imagination the most in south wales right now is in Swansea, the tidal lagoon. Although I may be in a minority here as I seem to be the only person who posts updates about it. I just think it is a really innovative project that could create a distinctive (although maybe dull, have to wait and see) urban form that has the potential to drive an engineering sub-industry out of south wales as the technology is exported to subsequent sites. And, in some images, it looks quite nice.

Actually, if Cardiff took a leaf out of Swanseas book then it could learn a thing or two, Swansea has changed beyond all recognition over the last 10 years whilst so many schemes fail to get off the ground in Cardiff.

most of what you see in the picture of the Urban Village scheme has already been built..

Christopher Littley
Actually, if Cardiff took a leaf out of Swanseas book then it could learn a thing or two,

Like what exactly?

Last time I visited Swansea I was shocked how run down and depressed it was, Newport looks better.

Christopher Littley
Actually, if Cardiff took a leaf out of Swanseas book then it could learn a thing or two, Swansea has changed beyond all recognition over the last 10 years whilst so many schemes fail to get off the ground in Cardiff.

Um? The fact that a £25m scheme in Swansea is worth a 'news' story suggests developments there are pretty small beer!

But let's put it to the test. I may be wrong but the only major developments in Swansea I can think of in the last ten years are the sterile SA1 which makes Mermaid Quay look like Barcelona and the dreadful bus-lanes of the Swansea 'Metro'.

To be clear, I have a soft spot for Swansea. I've spent a lot of time there over the years which is why I know the claim that it's "changed beyond all recognition over the last 10 years" is c**p!

I was at a meeting in Cardiff yesterday with two clients from Swansea. Their comments were Cardiff has a real buzz about the place. They think much more is happening here which is why they are looking to Cardiff and not Swansea

Commuter87
I'm interested in all development in South Wales as IMO it all impacts Cardiff and likewise development in Cardiff affects elsewhere. I'm a native of Bridgend, renting in Canton and soon to be moving permanently to Grangetown (fingers crossed) so can see the larger picture of how the M4, Severn Bridge, Railway, Rhoose Airport... heck Celtic Manor and it's convention centre plans, not just impact Cardiff but it's hinterland.

I would be interested in seeing Swansea related posts here, as I don't think there is enough interest alone to maintain a purely Swansea Bay forum (as long as the Jacks know their place

I see this as not just a Cardiff but a South Wales Development forum anywho!

Hi Commuter87 the only trouble with discussing swansea on this forum is that it can sometimes end up in a bit of a battle!! can't imagine where that comes from - mind you I went to a few away games at the vetch in the 80's so maybe I've got a clue!!
Anyway I think I'll put swanseawalesmap forum on hold for now at least.
I take on board your point about a wider area being discussed on here as Cardiff is very much a hub and plenty affects the city.

OK good luck with your move to Grangetown - it is the home of the CardiffWalesMap empire afterall - see you in the Cornwall!!

Christopher Littley

Apart from some social housing i can't think of a major building built in Swansea in the last 5 years and what concrete proposals are there for any new developments apart from the councils pie in the sky plans.

The only transformation in Swansea has been the increase in homeless smackheads in the city centre.

Carlos
Christopher Littley

Apart from some social housing i can't think of a major building built in Swansea in the last 5 years and what concrete proposals are there for any new developments apart from the councils pie in the sky plans.

The only transformation in Swansea has been the increase in homeless smackheads in the city centre.

Yawn, we already have Jantra, we don't require any inferior trolls.

Lyndon
Carlos
Christopher Littley

I am not a troll. I appreciate I have my own views which irk you, but that's freedom of speech. Maybe you'd prefer North Korea as they too deny basic human rights and freedoms. You'd feel at home there.

Lyndon

That's unfair. Jantra obviously enjoys stirring things up a bit - but that's very different from trolling. This forum would be a much duller place without him.

Jantra
Lyndon
Carlos
Christopher Littley

I am not a troll. I appreciate I have my own views which irk you, but that's freedom of speech. Maybe you'd prefer North Korea as they too deny basic human rights and freedoms. You'd feel at home there.

Don't forget that according to recent reports many people in North Korea are addicted to Crystal Meth! What a horrendous fate! I am so glad that nothing like that goes on in Penarth Marina. We in Britain have it good; but we could have it better. Imagine a true Libertardian world! In a Libertarian society, it is the loudest and most persistent voice that commands authority. Imagine having me inside your head all day! All my knowledge, wisdom and great musical knowledge (esp. Stone Roses and Manchester scene 1994-2001).
You would never get that in NK. I would be a faceless drone, smacked off my bristols on Kim Jong Un's pixie dust. No thanks, iirc my life has been great in England, with some mompin moments in Wales too.
Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. Apart from mine, of course

You need to pay closer attention. The stone roses were from 1984-1996 and the 2012 onwards. They reached their zenith with their eponymous entitled first album in 1989. Watch spike island you might learn something rather than regurgitating the nonsense that you do.

The Manchester music scene has been at round long before and long after the period you mention. If you're only writing style is parody perhaps you should also attempt accuracy and attention to detail as it then works so much better.

Have a good day

Jantra
You need to pay closer attention. The stone roses were from 1984-1996 and the 2012 onwards. They reached their zenith with their eponymous entitled first album in 1989. Watch spike island you might learn something rather than regurgitating the nonsense that you do.

The Manchester music scene has been at round long before and long after the period you mention. If you're only writing style is parody perhaps you should also attempt accuracy and attention to detail as it then works so much better.

Have a good day

That's exactly what I meant. Having the voice of Jantra, soothing and urbane, in everyone's head, 24 hours a day. Instead of just having to read all of his thoughts, you could actually think them too. A true Libertardian paradise. Jantra doesn't sleep, he just has a couple of hours downtime in any convenient cupboard or wardrobe. For those hours, I, Jantard could take over. Like Big Brother in 1984, but benign.
Spike Island yes. Nothing like repetitive, drug addled, monkey-faced wailing and shuffling for hours on end. Ian Brown's voice when performing live has to be heard to be believed! and what a back catalogue; nearly two great albums of material to choose from! Madchester, we miss you!

Jantard

That's exactly what I meant. Having the voice of Jantra, soothing and urbane, in everyone's head, 24 hours a day. Instead of just having to read all of his thoughts, you could actually think them too. A true Libertardian paradise. Jantra doesn't sleep, he just has a couple of hours downtime in any convenient cupboard or wardrobe. For those hours, I, Jantard could take over. Like Big Brother in 1984, but benign.
Spike Island yes. Nothing like repetitive, drug addled, monkey-faced wailing and shuffling for hours on end. Ian Brown's voice when performing live has to be heard to be believed! and what a back catalogue; nearly two great albums of material to choose from! Madchester, we miss you!

1. spike island was a referral to the film and not the event. perhaps you're not as au fait with this as you think you are
2. Ian Brown was vehemently against drugs. he may have been the tim leary for the e-generation, but that doesn't mean he condoned it. the stone roses split up in 1996 due to John Squire's cocaine abuse. That's how much Brown was against it.
3. for a band with a back catalogue on 2 albums, it says a lot that 250k people saw them at Heaton Park and the gig sold out in 30 minutes. Of course, that many people are wrong and you're analysis is correct.

Your attempt at parody is tres amusant, but you do fall over regarding the finer details. amateurs, amateurs.

Me
Actually the proposed development that captures my imagination the most in south wales right now is in Swansea, the tidal lagoon. Although I may be in a minority here as I seem to be the only person who posts updates about it. I just think it is a really innovative project that could create a distinctive (although maybe dull, have to wait and see) urban form that has the potential to drive an engineering sub-industry out of south wales as the technology is exported to subsequent sites. And, in some images, it looks quite nice.

That looks a bit meh to be honest. Is that showing the pearl shell thing? I am sure the way it looks is only half the story but still.

paul cardiffwalesmap

Hi Commuter87 the only trouble with discussing swansea on this forum is that it can sometimes end up in a bit of a battle!! can't imagine where that comes from - mind you I went to a few away games at the vetch in the 80's so maybe I've got a clue!!
I take on board your point about a wider area being discussed on here as Cardiff is very much a hub and plenty affects the city.

OK good luck with your move to Grangetown - it is the home of the CardiffWalesMap empire afterall - see you in the Cornwall!!

Finger's crossed it all goes through, I'll literally be able to throw a stone from my house and hit the Cornwall... or come mightily close!!! Was looking around Riverside and Grangetown as they are both on the right side of the river and walkable into town, but have opted for a place in the latter, am told it's the next up and coming place in our fair city so hopefully be a decent investment as well City centre 10 minutes away, Bay 15 minutes away, Cardiff City Stadium 5 minutes away, if Heaven were a place on Earth

Commuter87
paul cardiffwalesmap

Finger's crossed it all goes through, I'll literally be able to throw a stone from my house and hit the Cornwall... or come mightily close!!! Was looking around Riverside and Grangetown as they are both on the right side of the river and walkable into town, but have opted for a place in the latter, am told it's the next up and coming place in our fair city so hopefully be a decent investment as well City centre 10 minutes away, Bay 15 minutes away, Cardiff City Stadium 5 minutes away, if Heaven were a place on Earth

Hope it comes off for you. I live just the other side of Clare Road - 5mins form the Cornwall. You are so right about the convenience, the Cardiff City Stadium - Sports Village - the Bay - City Centre and pretty much in the middle of it all... Grangetown!!

now then to get this thread back on track where were we, oh yes Swansea....

The SA1 development is massive....The Copper Quarter has so far built over 600 apartments, they line a huge part of the riverside and its far from finished, the LC2, The national Waterfront museum, The tallest building in Wales, The brand new Bus Station that Cardiff has been yakking about for years, The MASSIVE new Bay Campus going up very quickly NOW, The Casino Area development 'Salubrious place' a 12 storie a 11 storie and 3 8 storie apartment buildings in SA1, the whole of the main bayside road being dug up and turned into a boulavard to link the city with the waterfront! i repeat with 100% confidence that Swansea has indeed changed massivley over the last 10 yrs....anyone that says they cant think of a major development lately, stop trawling throught he web and go take a look!

i di forget to mention The Liberty retail park and Wales first premier footy teams new Stadium too!.....Cardiff is Cardiff, its on a different scale yes, but it does make me laugh how so many of you bemoan slow progress and canceld developments but when its pointed out that Swansea in the past 10 yrs has built a WHOLE new waterside development thats equals the size of its city center you go crazy! ha...'A Pool' was the only development in the whole 'Sports Village' for years! whereas athletes were comming to Swansea in droves to train at The National Pool there? I was at Cardiff bus station over xmas with some Chinese people going to Camarthen on National Express and it was an embaressment to be there? awfull place? Swansea's new bus station is an amazing achievment, its a great building....

abayoflife.com then go to Development...see for yourself what has changed in Swansea over the last 10yrs...

Christopher Littley
abayoflife.com then go to Development...see for yourself what has changed in Swansea over the last 10yrs...
honestly, you can't polish a turd

Jantra
Christopher Littley

That's a very rude and extremely bigoted reply, Jantra. You should check yourself.

B. Lee Dingobvious
Jantra
Christopher Littley

That's a very rude and extremely bigoted reply, Jantra. You should check yourself.

whatever

I've been working in Swansea since last summer. Very excited by the potential lagoon. The campus is coming along very quickly (although from what I recall, the design was a bit meh - and I wouldn't want to be a student all the way out along Fabian Way). The city centre is still a shit hole though. And I'm no fan of the tall building (the name escapes me) on the seafront.

I consider Swansea to be part of the Greater Cardiff area so think it has a place on this forum.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM