CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PDR / Eastern Bay Link - some movement at last!

Lets hope it also has decent cycle and pedestrian access like the Taff viaduct.

Tenders have to be in by the start of July - but heaven knows how long the evaluation phase will be. 19 months from exchange of contracts to completion seems fairly ambitious, but deliverable. We could possible see completion in late 2016.

The budget seems a little on the low side to me - £25 to £30 million. I know its just 1.2km, but I imagine it will require some quite complicated engineering.

Very good news. It seems to me that once this has been completed the pressure on Rover Way will be such that they'll have to move pretty quickly to complete the whole scheme.

Me

IIRC they dropped the cycle path option some years ago due to cost. I think they were intending for cyclists to use the surface route whilst the new carriageway was to be elevated. Considering they also dropped plans for a junction at the steelworks would mean sharing that route with the works traffic for that and the other businesses in the "industrial" section of Rover Way.

Bishop84
Me

IIRC they dropped the cycle path option some years ago due to cost. I think they were intending for cyclists to use the surface route whilst the new carriageway was to be elevated. Considering they also dropped plans for a junction at the steelworks would mean sharing that route with the works traffic for that and the other businesses in the "industrial" section of Rover Way.

It would make huge sense to have a pedestrian path because it could help reduce the zig-zag route that the Wales Coastal Path currently takes.

Indeed. How do you think we should interpret this:

"The proposed works involve the provision of a dual carriageway between Queens Gate Roundabout to the Ocean Way Roundabout to the east. Due to the current layout of an existing dockland access road, two level crossings and a railway line to the neighbouring Celsa site, the alignment will require a high skew bridge to accommodate these."

Is it basically a single continuous bridge from one roundabout to the other? If so, then a connected pedestrian/cycle route like that over the Taff seems necessary as there seems little practical option for an alternative surface route. It should be quite easy to attach it to the existing decent provision around Pierhead Street. Roverway already has a designated shared use pathway (although it is no leisure cycle) and Ocean way is fine for cycling, and could easily have a shared use designation on the quite wide and underused pathways.

I think I would actually prefer if they put a footpath along roath dock road at surface level - if there was a choice.
Having walked over the flyover across the taff a few times, the noise from 4 lanes of high speed traffic is really not a pleasant experience.
However a footpath attached would certainly be better than nothing if a surface level path is not an option.

I wonder if they would alter the Welsh Coastal path route should a cycle/foot path be included with the development.

LocalResident
I think I would actually prefer if they put a footpath along roath dock road at surface level - if there was a choice.
Having walked over the flyover across the taff a few times, the noise from 4 lanes of high speed traffic is really not a pleasant experience.
However a footpath attached would certainly be better than nothing if a surface level path is not an option.

I wonder if they would alter the Welsh Coastal path route should a cycle/foot path be included with the development.

I'm sure they would alter the Coastal Path if a more direct route was available. The WG always said it hoped to improve the route over time.

I share your view about walking across the Taff fly-over. It's not particularly pleasant but the footpath signs do offer an alternative route via Clarence Road bridge if you have the time.

I've both walked and cycled the Taff viaduct several times. I agree to walk is functional but not great fun. It takes quite a while, it is noisy and you really notice the cars rush past. On a bike the same stretch is much less problematic, as you move much more quickly so it takes less time, and it just feels a more normal environment for a bike. I quite enjoy cycling over it as it is part of a pretty decent stretch of cycle network, until you get to the ISV where it becomes bitty.

There is a little bit of info about the PDR extension on the Welsh government website:
http://wales.gov.uk/topics/transport/roads/schemes/ewsouth/eastern-bay-link/?lang=en

It does state one of the objectives as being:

• provide more opportunities for cycling and walking

I am a little concerned about the image, it suggests they are not going to continue from the ski ramp out of the bute town tunnels. Instead just have the slip roads on/off the roundabout from the other direction and force all traffic to navigate the roundabout.
Hopefully thats not the case, as it would be a ridiculous bottleneck to simply save a relatively small % of the cost of extending the road.

Indeed, that's how it looks to me

I guess the yellow line is the cycle/pedestrian route. Perhaps it will be designed so that the ski ramp link could be added in a future phase when work is done around Rover Way area. This current version either puts a bottle neck at Queensgate roundabout or Ocean Way roundabout, and Queensgate is probably the better of the two to cope with it.

Bigger version of the pic here: http://wales.gov.uk/docs/det/publications/140627-eastern-bay-link-image.pdf

Yes, I guess that makes sense as Rover way can not currently handle the amount of traffic that could be directed that way with continuous flow.

I guess I'm just being impatient and want the council/WG to finish the PDR, rather than picking it up, doing another short section and putting it down for another few decades

LocalResident
There is a little bit of info about the PDR extension on the Welsh government website:
http://wales.gov.uk/topics/transport/roads/schemes/ewsouth/eastern-bay-link/?lang=en

It does state one of the objectives as being:
  • provide more opportunities for cycling and walking

I am a little concerned about the image, it suggests they are not going to continue from the ski ramp out of the bute town tunnels. Instead just have the slip roads on/off the roundabout from the other direction and force all traffic to navigate the roundabout.
Hopefully thats not the case, as it would be a ridiculous bottleneck to simply save a relatively small % of the cost of extending the road.

here is the link, it doesn't seem to work in the post above

So no completed flyover? Seems a waste as this will snarl traffic up and therefore negate some of the benefits. Seems the truism is true, not enough money to do it properly but more than enough to do it more than once.

On the map it has "Rover Way" as "Roath Way"
The WAG (The Assembly) never knowingly in full control of events.

I agree with others this is Half Ar**d. All this traffic will end up in Rover Way and the Tesco traffic light waiting for a big snarl up.

Driving along that road at rush hour two week ago, I was coming in to Cardiff , one of our Gypo Friends had parked his white bashed up van on Rover Way and was feeding his horses (probably one of the Price clan!) This had caused and a complete may-hem for traffic trying to leave Cardiff, I clocked the queues back to the Magic Roundabout.

It must offer a great impression of Cardiff as this is the Millennium Centre sign posted route, Scrap dealers/Gypo encampment, Sewage treatment, disused railway, dust and more dust, road falling to bits. They might think there actually in a John Steinbeck novel.

Zach

I agree with others this is Half Ar**d. All this traffic will end up in Rover Way and the Tesco traffic light waiting for a big snarl up.

Driving along that road at rush hour two week ago, I was coming in to Cardiff , one of our Gypo Friends had parked his white bashed up van on Rover Way and was feeding his horses (probably one of the Price clan!) This had caused and a complete may-hem for traffic trying to leave Cardiff, I clocked the queues back to the Magic Roundabout.

It must offer a great impression of Cardiff as this is the Millennium Centre sign posted route, Scrap dealers/Gypo encampment, Sewage treatment, disused railway, dust and more dust, road falling to bits. They might think there actually in a John Steinbeck novel.

Don't forget the incinerator, just over half a mile, as the crow flies, from our the Senedd. Can't imagine the English allowing the construction of anything similar in the middle of London.

quote:
Don't forget the incinerator, just over half a mile, as the crow flies, from our the Senedd. Can't imagine the English allowing the construction of anything similar in the middle of London.

The Birmingham incinerator isnt far from the centre I believe

Speedy Gonzalez
Zach
On the map it has \\\\\\\"Rover Way\\\\\\\" as \\\\\\\"Roath Way\\\\\\\"

Don\\\'t forget the incinerator, just over half a mile, as the crow flies, from our the Senedd. Can\\\'t imagine the English allowing the construction of anything similar in the middle of London.

Battersea Power Station to the Palace of Westminster is about 1m as the crow flies

Baywatcher
quote:
Don\'t forget the incinerator, just over half a mile, as the crow flies, from our the Senedd. Can\'t imagine the English allowing the construction of anything similar in the middle of London.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Main/Facilities/Energy-Recovery-Facilities/Tyseley-ERF/

Three and a half miles from Birmingham Town Hall.

Battersea Power Station was built 80 years ago.
They wouldn't let anything like that be built so close to the Palace of Westminster nowadays.

But of course the most argumentative man on Earth will dispute this.

Speedy Gonzalez
Baywatcher
quote:
Don\\\'t forget the incinerator, just over half a mile, as the crow flies, from our the Senedd. Can\\\'t imagine the English allowing the construction of anything similar in the middle of London.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Main/Facilities/Energy-Recovery-Facilities/Tyseley-ERF/

Three and a half miles from Birmingham Town Hall.

Battersea Power Station was built 80 years ago.
They wouldn't let anything like that be built so close to the Palace of Westminster nowadays.

But of course the most argumentative man on Earth will dispute this.

you didn't mention anything about building today so how was I supposed to know that is what you meant. all you said, and I've put it in bold above, is

I can't imagine the English allowing the construction of anything similar in the middle of London

where is the inference to time in there?

Hi Zach,

For me I think it's best not to use derogatory language related to ethnicity on this forum, or anywhere else really. There are usually other ways to write that avoid language with baggage attached.

Zach

If you're serious, I think that's a bit tiring,Me.

Geddit?!

I thought that Gypo/Steinbeck bit was hilarious....really made me chuckle. Keep them coming,Zach.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM