CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BBC move confirmed

Rhodri Morgan is a pleasant and affable chap, but on the economy a total buffoon who ruined the early years of devolution.

As a general rule, if he's talking about a serious matter, it's better to dismiss it.

Me
As Karl says, the plan is to build a new bus station before work starts on the BBC building, so that will clearly add to the delay.

I think the new bus station will go where planned sometime ago on the Marland House and car park site. At one stage the hold up was getting ownership of the car park, but that seems closer to resolution now. I still hope for a bus station with access from Wood Street and by Sleeperz.

Although I have no evidence, I speculate there will also be a new car park on Park Street.

I see, so the BBC announce their new offices but as of yet they don't actually have any land to build it on and planning permission won't be granted until we have a new bus station. Meanwhile the council is on the bones of its arse, has no money and can't afford to build a new bus station.

I will show my arse in queen street if the BBC head office is built before 2018 in central square.

RandomComment
You jest. But I think there were plans to build the bus station with office buildings on top at one stage - at least that was being considered as an option. The constraint then is that you need pretty expensive and energy-hungry air conditioning systems to make sure that the exhaust fumes are properly extracted.

Alternatively, it could go on the south side of the railway station. This wouldn't be a problem provided a through-route for non ticket holders could be delivered. Otherwise the ticket barriers look like being.. well, a barrier to such a plan.

that's what I thought but since the council has no money and we've not heard about any development on the Marland House site, then we can only assume that site has to go through planning, consultations, redesign, Cadw (Marland House has value ) and whatever else is deemed to be necessary to ensure we waste yet another small section of Brazil's ever decreasing rainforest. Then you have the tender process (Oh God I'm now losing the will to live). This is CCC so I imagine even this task will take several years. Then we build the integrated office/bus station.

Then we can start the whole process again but this time for the BBC building. The ape creatures of the Indus will have learnt to count beyond 6 before the BBC move into Central Square.

James
Rhodri Morgan is a pleasant and affable chap, but on the economy a total buffoon who ruined the early years of devolution.

As a general rule, if he\\\\\\\'s talking about a serious matter, it\\\\\\\'s better to dismiss it.

the simpleton voted against the Cardiff Bay Barrage - Wales single biggest economic regenerator ever. That says everything you need to know about comrade Morgan and his capability of evaluating a given situation.

despite this people still voted for him. who is the fool, the fool or the fool who follows him

SP
Quite interesting that they're reducing their building's square footage by 50%

Hopefully that means the sale of the Llantrisant Rd site will 100% finance this new building. If not the BBC is going to have some potentially serious problems as the Conservatives seem to be very keen to give the BBC a good bashing, including cutting the licence fee if they win the next general election.

The BBC will be renting the building from Rightacres (or whoever they sell it on to), so the building itself, which I think will cost £50 million, will be funded by the developers getting a commercial loan and/or selling the asset to a big pension fund, insurer etc.

The fitting out costs could also be close to £50 million. The BBC probably won't get anything like that from their land. I'd guess they may get £25 million at a price of around £1.5 million per acre... although £2 million an acre would raise that to about £32 million.

I guess they are hoping that the move will save money in the long term by avoiding the need to upgrade their existing facilities. It should also be cheaper to run and to staff. And if they are privatised, leasing will be more tax efficient than owning their building outright (although I guess they could have mortgaged it to leverage up too).

RandomComment
The BBC will be renting the building from Rightacres (or whoever they sell it on to), so the building itself, which I think will cost £50 million, will be funded by the developers getting a commercial loan and/or selling the asset to a big pension fund, insurer etc.

The fitting out costs could also be close to £50 million. The BBC probably won't get anything like that from their land. I'd guess they may get £25 million at a price of around £1.5 million per acre... although £2 million an acre would raise that to about £32 million.

I guess they are hoping that the move will save money in the long term by avoiding the need to upgrade their existing facilities. It should also be cheaper to run and to staff. And if they are privatised, leasing will be more tax efficient than owning their building outright (although I guess they could have mortgaged it to leverage up too).

Not in an enterprise zone it won't

Really? Please explain...

And even if so, the enterprise zone status is pretty short term... less than 20 years, no?

Jantra
RandomComment

The fitting out costs could also be close to £50 million. The BBC probably won\'t get anything like that from their land. I\'d guess they may get £25 million at a price of around £1.5 million per acre... although £2 million an acre would raise that to about £32 million.

Not in an enterprise zone it won't

I really hope they aren't going to be gaining from being within the Enterprise Zone.

They aren't in a sector that should be gaining from it. Surely the relocation to the city centre is more to do with it being a better location than where they are now.

Phil Bale newly elected leader of Cardiff council now boasts of exciting plans for the regeneration of Central Square following the announcement that BBC Cymru Wales will be relocating their headquarters to the site of our bus station by June 2015. No ifs or buts, despite no planning application, still less planning approval.

He says they are now seeking public views ... wait for it... on the location of the new bus interchange next to Cardiff Central train station, which will be located either to the north or south of the station. The public consultation survey was launched online on Friday 8th August at: http://www.surveys.cardiff.gov.uk/busstation2014/ It simply asks: would you prefer the new facilities to be north (city side) or south (bay side) of Central Station?
This lousy consultation doesn't ask about the actual options that are listed in the AECOM Scoping report (Cabinet meeting 17 July, Item 3: www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/Your-Council/Councillors-and-meetings/CouncilMeetings. We are not asked if we want to sell off the bus station site, nor if we'd give priority to the BBC and manage in an unspecified way without a bus station for over 18 months whatever the damage to public transport policies. There is no longer any mention of the promised INTEGRATED TRANSPORT HUB nor any mention of space required for a Metro station and no mention of coach stands.
• Like for like replacement of Bus Station somewhere north of the Station;
• 22 stands north of the station;
• Reduced provision north of the station (18-22 stands) with some provision to the south
• All provision on the south side;
• Satellite bus-bays around the city centre on a) a temporary basis; and, b) a permanent basis.
The present 34 bus stands on the site would be much reduced, perhaps even to 18, ignoring the public transport objectives and 50:50 modal split of the LDP
The above scenarios for the potential bus station relocation options will be assessed as part of the Transport and Traffic Chapter of the ES says the Central Square, Cardiff : EIA Scoping Report from AECOM dated August 2014 (so no-one could see it in advance of the July Cabinet decision)

It says this Scoping Report is on behalf of Rightacres Limited, who have agreed that EIA will be undertaken, to allow the necessary survey and technical assessment work to be undertaken in advance of the submission of a planning application in October 2014. This surely makes it the fastest EIA ever undertaken, a travesty of the EIA Directive and Regulations - however much work AECOM have done in advance - and no site surveys are cited - the Regulations require genuine public consultation and revision of the ES to complete it.

When Phil Bale took over as leader, he promised a new bus station on Central Square, real public consultation and priority to making Cardiff a "liveable city". What a betrayal!
At least the document gives no grounds for moving the bus station to the south of Central Station - an option previously judged to depend on a costly new river bridge and dropped in the face of public votes.
No mention of closing accesses for the BBC on match-day closures. Another exception to get round that sticky problem, despite the "safety" excuse??

Re: BBC move confirmed - but no news on the exact site.

No comments on this topic for a year.
The BBC's preferred site is the bus station site in Central Square. Cardiff leaders have promised to deliver this, despite no planning consent nor even a planning application. They have accepted it needs EIA, but being cosy with AECOM expect them to do a rushed job (fastest ever) to submit in October.
See the Central Square thread for up-to-date comments and links.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM