CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Office Lettings

I do worry about potential over-supply of new offices if all the schemes talked about go ahead. But, its hard to find impartial information on this kind of thing.

The developers, like Rightacres, will want to limit competition for occupiers. This means they'd rather other developers, including the Welsh Govt, didn't build. And hence, I'm tempted to take this with a pinch of salt.

But agents, like Knight Frank, probably have an incentive to get more space. Because that means they get more instructions, and more work trying to let it all out.

Occupiers also want lots of space built as it increases choice and pushes down prices.

The government typically wants space to be built, as even if empty, it starts paying business rates. Perhaps in this instance though, as it would be paying rates to itself, it won't want to push ahead if it thinks the demand isn't there.

possibly no bus station at all. is it really needed? expensive land anywhere central.

Furthermore, it seems quite clear that I was right about the Council and Govt pulling in somewhat different directions when it comes to office development. The Welsh Govt has been pushing for Callaghan Square and Capital Quarter. And the Council has been batting quite strongly for Capital Square.. which is "its" scheme.

Also find Goodway's comments on the BBC headquarters quite revealing on this regard. I quite strongly disagree with him. I don't think the BBC headquarters in the bay would be "just another building". I think it would have given the area a critical mass of workers (and shoppers and diners), and could have been a catalyst for more development - perhaps a hotel, perhaps more media companies etc. I actually think it will have less of an impact on Capital Square, which is such a strong location, that although it may have taken longer, it would have filled up quite nicely anyway (plans for 2 buildings quite quickly already).

Thats not to say I don't see why BBC chose Capital Square. For them it makes much more sense - particularly because its a much better location for staff and for visitors (both to get to and from, and for the various amenities nearby).

RandomComment
Thats not to say I don\'t see why BBC chose Capital Square. For them it makes much more sense - particularly because its a much better location for staff and for visitors (both to get to and from, and for the various amenities nearby).

I imagine it's more to do with the lard arses and beer bellies not having to waddle too far when the six nations is on. Look at the uproar when the cardiff blues moved to Wales' premier sports stadium - the fatties were up in arms about having to walk ten minutes for a pint

Jantra
RandomComment
Thats not to say I don\\\'t see why BBC chose Capital Square. For them it makes much more sense - particularly because its a much better location for staff and for visitors (both to get to and from, and for the various amenities nearby).

I imagine it\'s more to do with the lard arses and beer bellies not having to waddle too far when the six nations is on. Look at the uproar when the cardiff blues moved to Wales\' premier sports stadium - the fatties were up in arms about having to walk ten minutes for a pint

That's a -2 on Ratemytroll.com. Come on now, up your game. This is a time for heroes.

Rhodri
Jantra
RandomComment
Thats not to say I don\\\\\\\'t see why BBC chose Capital Square. For them it makes much more sense - particularly because its a much better location for staff and for visitors (both to get to and from, and for the various amenities nearby).

I imagine it\\\'s more to do with the lard arses and beer bellies not having to waddle too far when the six nations is on. Look at the uproar when the cardiff blues moved to Wales\\\' premier sports stadium - the fatties were up in arms about having to walk ten minutes for a pint

That's a -2 on Ratemytroll.com. Come on now, up your game. This is a time for heroes.

You'd better leave the thread then

Good news for the GloWorks building at Porth Teigr, two tenants signed up just before the building is officially opened. Boom Pictures is taking the top 3 floors and Sequence is taking the second floor meaning the building will be 80% let.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/sequence-boom-pictures-sign-up-7368524

What will be interesting to hear now is if there are plans for that second building to go up next to it. There's nothing in the article about it unfortunately.

What a relief.

I was starting to fear that the building would be going the way of Caspian Point and No.3 Assembly Square - namely taking 5-10 years to fill up.

Wizard
What a relief.

I was starting to fear that the building would be going the way of Caspian Point and No.3 Assembly Square - namely taking 5-10 years to fill up.

I think a number of us on here were fearing the same - a great idea to build it but there have been no takers for one reason or another. It gives me a little bit of confidence that maybe hopes for a cluster of creative industries at that location can still work.

The thing with the design of the building is it's clearly meant to be one of a few/many so now that this one will be 80% let it would be good to see plans for the second being announced soon-ish.

That is good news. It really is shame the BBC didn't go to assembly square as we could have had the makings of a media village in the bay

Jantra
That is good news. It really is shame the BBC didn't go to assembly square as we could have had the makings of a media village in the bay

I think it's going to turn out that way anyway. In the short term the BBC would have speeded things up. Longer term it may be no bad thing to have two clusters with a relatively small distance between them. It's certainly preferable to the way media comopanies have been scattered across the city in the past.

It is going to quite creative down there - a kind of Pontcanna ar y mor. Look forward to see what spin off benefits will come from this. I think a Spinnaker type tower on the land where the Tube used to be would be great.

ITV are now in 3 Assembly Square. Whilst they appear to have very small office space, they at least have a nice big corporate logo up in the entrance!

I don't know whether it's exclusively part of the ITV space (or a shared facility), but a large sweep of the space on the ground floor of the development has been given over to what is effectively a length of fitted kitchen units.

I hadn't anticipated a culinary 'centre of creativity' on the ground floor. Is it perhaps part of a cooking show that they make?

Its possible these kitchen units are something to do with the life science hub as biology labs have some commonality with fitted kitchens, fridges and all. But I doubt it as I thought the hub was all office space. Could be a lab tech demo space, but again i doubt it. Might just be a kitchen!

Wizard
ITV are now in 3 Assembly Square. Whilst they appear to have very small office space, they at least have a nice big corporate logo up in the entrance!

I don\'t know whether it\'s exclusively part of the ITV space (or a shared facility), but a large sweep of the space on the ground floor of the development has been given over to what is effectively a length of fitted kitchen units.

I hadn\'t anticipated a culinary \'centre of creativity\' on the ground floor. Is it perhaps part of a cooking show that they make?

or perhaps its a top end canteen for the workers

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM