CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bar/club activity in Cardiff

redragon
Cote coming to Mill Lane..

So the rumours are true then, and Mill Lane loses two drink-led establishments for an eatery. I wonder how this will affect the dynamic on the street.

Good news for the craft beer/ale drinkers:

Urban Tap House is opening on 25th September

and Brewdog have confirmed they've put an offer in on a site in Cardiff:

marbo
Good news for the craft beer/ale drinkers

Don't forget us ciderhounds!

"The largest cider selection in Cardiff"

Me
So today i stuck my head around the door of La Bodega, the Spanish bar in the old Taste unit. It looks good, although everything is still very very new looking. It opened on saturday. Hopefully it will become more homely with age. They have an alcohol licence, open 11 til 11. High chairs and tables at the front, then the bar, normal tables and chairs at the back. It could be excellent, exactly what Cardiff city centre needs. Somewhere for a drink that isn't a loud piss-up joint. You could even say it leans towards sophisticated, although that might over sell it. It is not nearly as cosy as Shot in the Dark though. Everything is Spanish. I wonder if over time they will need to soften that to survive. I dont think the high chairs at the front are very welcoming for the coffee crowd that surely their day time trade must look to attract. But somewhere I think worth supporting.

I recently went to La Bodega. I thought it was excellent, very good food and lovely staff (although I went early evening and it wasn't very busy). Four good sized plates of tapas (certainly enough food for two), two glasses of wine and a dessert for £30. Not hugely cheap but not expensive either. I agree that it's something that Cardiff needs although trade will need to pick up if they are to survive based on what I've seen. I'd agree with you about daytime trade, it's not that welcoming for people who might want to pop in for a coffee and a cake and as far as I can see I don't think they have any lunchtime specials which is unlikely to attract punters during the day.

That part of town has quite a few decent restaurants now - Casanova and Greenwood and Brown in Quay St, Cafe Citta in Church St, Barbucci, Potted Pig, La Bodega in High St plus the usual chains of Zizzi/Pizza Express etc

I see that the Brewery 1/4 has had a lick of paint on the rendered walls (from white to turquoise) to spruce things up, and the flank which faces onto Caroline St has had a plasticky wooden frame attached with led lights along their length. It's not exactly neon city and could have been done better with a bit more cash, but I think that it is an improvement on what was there before.

Wellingtons external scaffold has also come down. From what I can see, this was for external repairs only ( removing trees from roof etc).

I went in a couple of Saturdays ago and was struck by how positively miserable and disinterested the both bar staff were.

It doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, but the new Brewery Quarter signs are awful. They look like some miserable tacky expensive coffee chain on some miserable tacky expensive service station.

Just gone out for a couple of beers today and have noticed that the old Liquid/Life units are now occupied by a club called Maddison. It has a website too, http://www.maddisondc.com, looks ok with the outside with black and white signage, it's just nice seeing the premises used again. Spoke to the bouncers at The Bunker and they say the place had it's opening on Thursday. Just thought i'd relay this info, off for another Bow!

Commuter1987
Just gone out for a couple of beers today and have noticed that the old Liquid/Life units are now occupied by a club called Maddison. It has a website too, http://www.maddisondc.com, looks ok with the outside with black and white signage, it's just nice seeing the premises used again. Spoke to the bouncers at The Bunker and they say the place had it's opening on Thursday. Just thought i'd relay this info, off for another Bow!

bizarrely, the website for DC counts down from 100 days

They have a bright coloured ceiling

http://instagram.com/maddisondccardiff

A group of us went in there on thursday to have a look, then realised it was the opening night. Sadly, the overall impression is that is just feel like a giant chain bar, actually just felt like a slightly smarter Oceana/Glam. The branding and fittings look like something from 10 years ago. I didn't see any food at all and there was a giant dancefloor with pounding chart music - certainly felt like a club/bar and not a food joint. I know it's so much better than still being boarded up units and I hope it starts making a big difference at that end of town, but after all the setbacks caused by the saturation policy, it just feels such a shame that it's the same old pseudo 'VIP' drinking nightspot, catering for the pissed masses.

James
It doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, but the new Brewery Quarter signs are awful. They look like some miserable tacky expensive coffee chain on some miserable tacky expensive service station.

Well at least they're in-keeping with the character of the place.

Looks like there's a license application in the window of 31 Westgate St from Brewdog....finally!

According to google maps, that's the Queens Vaults?

I'm all for Brewdog, but the Vaults is one of the best, cheapest and happiest boozers in town.

JAmes

I'm all for Brewdog, but the Vaults is one of the best, cheapest and happiest boozers in town.

It's not the Vaults. It's where Tabu used to be, think it's double super happy or something now

Victor Clam
JAmes

It's not the Vaults. It's where Tabu used to be, think it's double super happy or something now

Ah okay, I'm relieved about that. Shame to see double super happy go, as it was a quirky place, but I rarely saw it busy. Brewdog should attract more people to that street and make it livelier.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/former-cardiff-nightclub-square-turned-6470029

Some news on The Square

As a gay man who lived in Cardiff for 8 years, I must say that the gay scene there died in 2007 when Pulse (or ‘Repulse’ as I call it) opened which then led on to the opening of Wow Bar and 4Play which later became Kings to capitalise on the closure of Kings Cross which in now the Corner House restaurant.
Before that, Charles Street was almost always busy and the clubs were full. Exit and X really were the places to be. The problem with the Cardiff gay scene is that it had too many venues. At one point, there were 11 gay or gay-friendly venues: King’s Cross, Golden Cross, Pulse, Wow Bar, 4Play, Fusion, Eagle, Icon, X, Exit, X:it and Minsky’s. And all of this for a city with a population of 330,000. It was never going to be sustainable.

The idea of a gay village is rather outdated for many reasons. We don’t really need to be ghettoised any more, and a night out in Manchester’s gay village will just show you that it’s more of a place for hen parties and straight women to have a hassle-free night out rather than a place for gay men and lesbians to meet. This is mainly due to the use of mobile app dating services like Scruff and Grindr which have totally destroyed gay nightlife as well as greater tolerance, acceptance and equality generally and the economic downturn. People don’t go out any more. Gays do their dating and meeting over apps. Also, why on earth would somebody want to put up with Wow Bar or Pulse when they can have a much nicer night out in a restaurant or a quiet straight bar?
I have many fond memories of Charles Street, but the kind of gay scene it offered is from an age gone by.

Mathew
Gays do their dating and meeting over apps. Also, why on earth would somebody want to put up with Wow Bar or Pulse when they can have a much nicer night out in a restaurant or a quiet straight bar?

Because believe it or not there are still a whole load of gays that want to dance to the latest pop music and go out clubbing in a predominantly gay environment.

However, your point does stand with regards to some of the older venues that have closed. There is a lot less demand for gay venues but still enough demand that a few can remain fairly busy and profitable.

murfilicious
elgdav
A bierkeller has applied for a licence in what used to be bar riza, millennium plaza

Interesting, Risa failed in this unit because it's a little too far off the "main strip" in my opinion. But with the BBC due to relocate and one Capital Square starting soon maybe we'll start to see a bit more life down this end of town? Hopefully the developers of those building will have the foresight to include a few units at ground floor level

Knowing the council they would enlarge the "saturation zone" to stymie any chance of that!

Somewhat ironic that this area used to be called Temperance Town and no licenced premises were allowed by whoever owned the area.

I know it's fashionable to blame the council for every single fault or issue, this is a universal phenomenon in every town and city. However, is not the saturation zone actually a police policy, whereby they automatically issue an objection to any licence application in certain locations?

At least this administration has not blindly conceded to this objection, so credit for that, surely.

Simon__200
I know it's fashionable to blame the council for every single fault or issue, this is a universal phenomenon in every town and city. However, is not the saturation zone actually a police policy, whereby they automatically issue an objection to any licence application in certain locations?

At least this administration has not blindly conceded to this objection, so credit for that, surely.

I was being sarcastic but to answer your question Saturation Policy is a council policy and which South Wales Police support. IIRC there were a few cases reported where the police automatically objected to a new licence due to the council's saturation policy regardless of the merits of the application.

As you say, hopefully, the current council will take a better approach and allow this area of the city to develop.

I did try to post a link to the council document I found but I am having trouble with the filter. It's a Economy & Culture scrutiny committee report from 2011 if you want to search for it.

Which two drink-led establishments?

Ladybird & Kapu if rumours are to be believed.

I'm more disappointed by the move from independent to chain than the move from drinks to food.

A few planning docs are available (A/14/00073/DCI) - it seems as though the development will be 10-11 Mill Lane. Which is listed as Kapu, and I think Ladybird in the basement. I'm not sure Cote would want the basement but at the same time, not sure they'd want a club operating underneath them (esp as they have asked to stay open til Midnight).

I think its a bit of a shame to be honest. Im not a fan of the existing venues. But I'd have rathered an independent but slightly more upmarket bar (or bars) cum restaurant(s) go there. I think Mill Lane makes a good area for such mixed dining and drinking, especially in the summer. Cote is great but it is very much a restaurant and might struggle a bit in the evening when the street starts to get a bit rowdier.

Will it change the dynamic of the street? I don't know... there are still 3 bars at the other end - Soda, Mocka and Zync. And I think Las Iguanas has a more mixed drinking/dining clientele.

RandomComment
A few planning docs are available (A/14/00073/DCI) - it seems as though the development will be 10-11 Mill Lane. Which is listed as Kapu, and I think Ladybird in the basement. I'm not sure Cote would want the basement but at the same time, not sure they'd want a club operating underneath them (esp as they have asked to stay open til Midnight).

Ladybird is on the 1st floor of the building, not the basement. Same applies though, they will need more than the ground floor.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM